AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th December, 2001, 09:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Which method is better to oc?

Hey all,
I'm new here. I had a question about oc'ing. Is it better to increase the FSB first and then the multiplyer or vice-versa? Which is a good or the general method to overclocking? I appreciate all the help I can get. I have an Athlon 1.4GHz but I oc'ed it to 1.450GHz (145*10). I want to see how high this baby can soar. Thanks, guys!
Old 5th December, 2001, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Hi, start off with the FSB. It does make a bigger difference than the multiplier.
Old 6th December, 2001, 05:10 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
Hi, start off with the FSB. It does make a bigger difference than the multiplier.
even to the point that lowering the multiplier to get a higher FSB would could be benificial

Last edited by surlyjoe; 6th December, 2001 at 05:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th December, 2001, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

that's what I do. Do to crappy cooling, my 1400 is overclocked to 1350 (150x9).
Old 13th December, 2001, 08:51 PM

yeah, fsb is best
although its nice to brag that you've got an extra 200mhz out of your cpu rather than its 50mhz slower but you bus is faster
Old 13th December, 2001, 11:37 PM

Hey let me tell you something:

My Duron 800, when run at 900 (6x150) actually performed better in Q3 than it did when I ran it at 1080 (8x135)

The framerate was something roughly equivalent to 10% faster at 900. Too bad my RAM couldn't handle extended periods of 150
Old 14th December, 2001, 01:14 AM
eobard

A speed increase is dependent upon the ability of the sped up devices to handle that increased speed.

Multiple= Only increases the cpu speed so only the cpu need be capable of handling the greater demands

FSB= Increases everything so everything must be able to handle the speed. If your network card craps out kiss your interneting goodbye, if your sound card craps out kiss your mp3 playback goodbye, if your memory craps out kiss running your computer at that setting goodbye.

The overclocking chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Old 14th December, 2001, 09:34 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It all depends on what you want to use the CPU for.

Adjusting the multiplier upwards brings the brute force CPU up, but without changing anything else in the system. If you've got a lot of CPU intensive work to do that can run out of the CPU cache, then this is the place to start. I'd say this describes less than 5% of overclockers...

On the other hand, bringing the FSB speed up brings up the speed at which IO happens from the CPU to other components. If you're doing a lot of IO intensive work, such as gaming then this is probably for you. IO intensive work includes stuff like Folding/SETI as they don't run out of the CPU cache, instead hitting the main memory. They benefit from higher FSB as then the memory interface is running faster.

If you're serious on running Folding/SETI, then you need a balance between high FSB and high multipliers. This gives you the performance from the higher speed CPU coupled with the faster throughput of the FSB.

If you just don't care, bring the FSB up before trying the multipliers. Remember that before you push the multipliers upwards, the machine needs to be stable, otherwise you're just stressing already overstretched parts.

AidanII
Old 31st December, 2001, 06:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to DJ2000

Red face

I personally don't see that biga difference when manipulating the FSB. I am very lucky I guess, because I have a 1600+ XP which I unlocked 2 weeks ago and I am currently running it at 12.5X133=1667 (2000+) at stock voltage 35 deg C and I ran these benchmarks with Sandra with different FSB and here are the results:

12.5X133=1667 CPU 4589/2305 MM 9037/10634 MEM 2037/1936
10X166=1667 CPU 4583/2306 MM 9027/10620 MEM 1912/1813
9X185= 1665 CPU 4595/2308 MM 9049/10647 MEM 2104/1977

I believe the 1/5 divider is alive and well and the RAM divider gives a lower MEM score for the 166 FSB because the MEM is running at 125 at that setting. As I increased the FSB to 185, that is where the MEM returned to 133, actually it was at 135 but I used that setting because it yeilded 1665Mhz to stay consistent. That is why 185 FSB had the highest MEM scores.
Other than that I guess I have to feel a bit disappointed in the CPU and multimedia scores. Shouldn't there be at least some significant gain in upping the FSB from 133/266 to 185/370 thats a 29%increase yet it yeilds hardly anything in the benchs. Makes me believe that the DDR isn't that great of a technology or else the Sandra bench can't throw enough at it for DDR to make a difference.

Also of interest I never had to go beyond stock voltage on any of the settings and I never had any sign of instability whatsoever in any application. Quake III demos run flawlessly although a bit of a blur.Ha Ha
512 Crucial 2100 DDR @150Mhz
Coolermaster fan
PCPOWERANDCOOLING Turbo cool 300 ATX PS
ALL SCSI Drives
GeForce 2 MX
Win XP Corporate Pro NTFS
Rock Solid !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th January, 2002, 06:54 PM
Member/OES

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Romulus

Truer words can not be spoken. Booting up at 150 or 160 doesn't mean Jack **** if you can't run your network card.

Always remember that multiplier adjustment generally bring a more stable overclock to the overall system. You will need to play with a combination of the 2 if you want to find the median between power and stability.

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
A speed increase is dependent upon the ability of the sped up devices to handle that increased speed.

Multiple= Only increases the cpu speed so only the cpu need be capable of handling the greater demands

FSB= Increases everything so everything must be able to handle the speed. If your network card craps out kiss your interneting goodbye, if your sound card craps out kiss your mp3 playback goodbye, if your memory craps out kiss running your computer at that setting goodbye.

The overclocking chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

My Heatware

Email me here
Old 29th January, 2002, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
Yeah FSB IS the best but BE FORWARNED!!!! I scrambled a NON BACKED up hard drive.

Everything was lost.

So back up often.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to efiman

Ive never had any trouble with fsb and loosing data what happened
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:45 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Scrambled Hard drive and Dead MOBO.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

My Nic's are a no go above 143, The muliplyer comes in real handy, when the PCI dwellers rebel!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 30th January, 2002 at 11:04 PM.
Old 30th January, 2002, 04:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to efiman

thats bad the worst thing that happened to me has been having to format my drive because of that stupid easytune III program that auto overclocks at startup and you cant change it from the bios on my board
Old 30th January, 2002, 10:45 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ummmmmmmm what about the dividers tho? you could be unstable at 164 but stabkle at 166 or something crazy!

fsb is the best tho! MASSIVE increase in 3dmark cos of the extra memory bandwidth

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 30th January, 2002, 10:55 PM
Banned

I like high clock speeds and bus speeds

I certainly feel bus speeds are critical to a PC's realtime performance. I've learned the ways of intel, and if you have good components, they can be good

But i would much rather have complete, unlocked control of the multiplier anyday.