AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th December, 2001, 01:37 PM

scratched mobo... urr... it was him!!

yer well I did it.. I admit it
I was showing off my graphics card (my gf2 pro almost beating my friends gf3 :P ) and while putting it in I slipped and scratch 2 or 3 tracks in front of my AGP port... its on its way now to taiwan to get looked at my A-bit but I dunno if there gonna fix it or not since i've artic silver e-proxyed a gf2 mx heatsink to the southbridge :S and the scratch might not be covered by the warenty either.

reckon I could sand the covering of the mobo top (the thin thin layer of green stuff) and bridge the gap with solder?
Old 20th December, 2001, 08:20 PM
Banned

You probably could, so if they send it back it's not like voiding your warranty means anything .
Old 20th December, 2001, 08:44 PM

Yeah, first try and get it replaced or repaired under warranty. If they don't cover it, fix it yourself. It'll be a good way for you to learn. And if the board can't be fixed, use it to practice soldering, so you can do a volt mod when you get another!
Old 20th December, 2001, 10:48 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Re: scratched mobo... urr... it was him!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 3t3rnal
I was showing off my graphics card (my gf2 pro almost beating my friends gf3 :P ) and while putting it in I slipped and scratch 2 or 3 tracks in front of my AGP port...
<snip>
reckon I could sand the covering of the mobo top (the thin thin layer of green stuff) and bridge the gap with solder?
Depending on how much damage you've done, you might be better off using some patch wire. Also, depending on what signals the traces carry you might find that the bridge causes enough of an impedence mismatch to cause problem reflections.

On the other hand, they might be less sensitive if they're not such high speed signals. It's certainly worth a try as long as you don't short anything out!

AidanII
Old 23rd December, 2001, 10:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nemisiss

yea you dont wanna stuff up anything else while your at it aye
Maxtor 40Gb 7200RPM/ATA133 | Seagate 10Gb 5400RPM/ATA100
Eagle GeForce 2 32Mb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2001, 09:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

don't solder.

you know those conductive pens people unlock chips with? Well their proper use is for siutations like this
Old 23rd December, 2001, 10:55 PM
Banned

My Asus P3V4X i killed with a hacksaw blade ran it across 3 traces . Then my room mate killed my slocket adapter with a dremal. Another of many attempts at killing things that are otherwise harmless to humans

Jen
Old 25th December, 2001, 03:37 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Spode's right, soldering is a major no-no. Even if you don't fry anything with the heat, you will be drastically changing the length and gauge of the conductor. If it worked at all, it would be very buggy.

Use the pen, and remember that these things do take a little time to do right. If you can mask and paint three or four traces in less than an hour, you are just being sloppy.

be careful, and it should all go smoothly. Next time you power it up, though.... do it with hardware you don't really care much about... just to be safe..