AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th September, 2003, 01:48 AM

A New Era, or the same Old Tricks? TIM dangers.

Unfortunately I have some good news and some very-bad news. This is a reprint from a reply I just placed in my "New Era..." thread. The good news I've been trying out a "new" formula from Arctic Silver. I don't want to say AS4, because I think you'll find it may even surpass that label. As you'll see in the months ahead. And the new AS formula, has the PCM+ beat, by approxinmately -2C to -6C in temp drop.

Now for the bad news. These photo's show the results of the extent at which Nanotherm's PCM+ seems to loose it's innate "moisture." Since this product is based and sold on it's "phase-change" capabilities, then one would surmize, it must retain said moisture. Because phase-change in this circumstance pertains to the TIM rapidly chaning from liquid to gas, and back, absorbing, transferring, and releasing the kinetic energy from the processor into the heat sink. Therefore it's critical the parrafin component does not break down, under the repeated phase-change. What began to place doubt in my mind was an article posted at Modsynergy, and then (I'm very sad to say) my personal dealings with the owner, and a representitive of ESG Associates, or Nanotherm. It's my opinion, the person behind this company has a somewhat limited knowledge of thermal dynamics, and based upon hi character, I beleive the propensity, for damaging processors (if it does in fact exist. poeple are working on this) may be known by him, and ommitted to unsupecting clients. First look at the photo's below after I kept the product on for several weeks, the longest yet (and under overclocking conditions). Here's the link to the edited original article I wrote had Nanotherm contact me at my home; http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4y8k9/reviews/id14.html
And these photo's while not conclusive, do exemplify the seperation of compounds (after ony several weeks), specifically where the core is located under the P4 IHS. The forumula is almost completely absent, in that area, almost leaving bare metal. This would account for the marks on the heatsinks in the Modsynergy article; http://www.modsynergy.com/Nanothermtemp.htm This will make much more sense when you see the pictures in my article borrowed from the Modsynergy piece;
Attached Thumbnails
A New Era, or the same Old Tricks? TIM dangers.-cap_302.jpg   A New Era, or the same Old Tricks? TIM dangers.-cap_296.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2003, 03:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your on front page again!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th September, 2003, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Your on front page again!
Wow I'm getting popular. Sorry i haven't been participating in the forums that much I've been donated a website www.ksbrainstorms.com and I've been designing the Site in Dreamweaver which I had to teach myself. In fact someone just gave me www.ohmshouse.org which I co-founded a while back, but the owner was too busy to keep up with that site. So I've been working my Butt off. But i really miss participating here! AOA is one of, if not my favorite forum! I'll be back soon.

Old 28th September, 2003, 07:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Best of luck!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th September, 2003, 10:08 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

What aside from marking and discolouration is there in the copper? Is there any extra roughness or damage to the surface that can be felt by running a finger over it?

** I should add to this post, now that it's not late at night after a long day. The photographs you have there are not entirely clear. At first glance they look like seriously pitted copper, however you explain them as "the extent at which Nanotherm's PCM+ seems to loose it's innate "moisture." " thereby implying that I'm looking at copper covered in some sort of foam.

In any case, I kept out of the initial threads on Nanotherm PCM+ because I have to admit to having been skeptical of the physics of an unconstrained phase-change system in the first place, but didn't wish to pour cold water on everyone's excitement.

If I'm looking at bare pitted copper there, I have a working theory as to exactly what we're looking at which I'll write up in due course.

Last edited by Kaitain; 1st October, 2003 at 11:21 AM.