AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th June, 2004, 11:04 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i got more stable framerates (ie 60fps-63fps instead of 50-65fps ) by upping the agp voltage, but i am really sure that this is mobo dependant
Old 10th June, 2004, 12:50 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I guess we need some benches...

Results pending.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2004, 01:45 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

As promised.

These are 3 benches taken from aquamark each with a different AGP voltage.
Notice how there is almost no difference between that of 1.6 and that of 1.65 where as 1.55 seems almost eratic compared.

I can't explain that and it was repeated, but the results were practilly the same.

My only guess is that the slower FPS meant the bench took slightly longer and therefore the timing is off? Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
OverClocking my HIS ATI Radeon 9800Pro IceQ 128mb-agp-voltage.jpg  

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2004, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
i got more stable framerates (ie 60fps-63fps instead of 50-65fps ) by upping the agp voltage, but i am really sure that this is mobo dependant
maybe it isn't mobo dependant.. form looking @ your scores seems as though you get them same sort of results that i do by uping the voltage....framerate does not drop as low...suffice it to say that the extra voltage gives the gpu a more consistent voltage....when overclocked.. but I myself found that anything more than 1.7 @ the socket made no diff...can you validate that?
Old 10th June, 2004, 04:31 PM

and am i reading that correctly? your 9800 pro clocks 3 mhz slower than my 9600? or is that just your comfy speed?
Old 10th June, 2004, 06:26 PM
AOA Staff

It's a 9800xt and yes it does clock MHz slower. In fact stock speed is MHz. The reason for the lower speed is because it has double the pipelines.

The 9600xt stockclocks at 520!

However, with the correct amount of persuasion, mine'll go beyond 465. I just don't want to try until I have a backup. (I'm an avid gamer addicted to detail)

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th June, 2004, 06:32 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
I myself found that anything more than 1.7 @ the socket made no diff...can you validate that?
VPU recover kicked in when benching at 1.7V, so no results. I'll check it another time, It's been a hot day

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th June, 2004, 07:04 PM

HMMMM my card with double the pipelines? maybe i better buy one!
Old 10th June, 2004, 09:48 PM
AOA Staff

Selling mine in August. =)

XBL/PNS = neolad