AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2004, 03:56 AM

Motherboard modification

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere I could find information about modifying onboard graphics on motherboards. I want to be able to put an AGP card on a board that doesn't have an AGP slot. Does anyone know anything about a mod like this or when I can find some info on it?
Old 15th April, 2004, 10:18 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suspect it's really not worth trying to do. Unless the board is just missing the physical connector and has the wiring in place, it's going to be a nightmare to acheive.

Even if the chipset supports AGP, trace lengths and crosstalk are so critical that you might find it impossible to get them right in a reliable fashion. If you've ever wondered why some tracks on the motherboard do strange squiggles for no apparent reason, it's basically to ensure that all the signals arrive at the connector at the same time.

If you do want to continue on this plan, then you'll need to find out if the chipset supports AGP. If it does, you then need to identify the AGP pins on the chipset, and there are a fair few. You'd also need a power supply to generate and provide the correct voltages for the AGP interface.

Last edited by Áedán; 15th April, 2004 at 10:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2004, 04:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Aye! Follow Aedan's advice on this. A mod like this is NOT simple to do, assuming your chipset even supports it. By the time you get done, you'll discover that you would've been better off to have just bought a mobo with AGP on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th April, 2004, 09:39 PM

I plan on doing this for the joy of modifying a mobo to an AGP state. This isn't supposed to be utility or cost effective it is simply something that I want to do to expand my lis of generally useless things that I have done.
Old 16th April, 2004, 02:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Errr............ok. I still don't think you truly appreciate the complexity of what you are trying to accomplish. Be that as it may; we learn by doing so a good place to start would, I think, be here. It contains links to lots of other AGP-related stuff, including Intel's specs.
Old 16th April, 2004, 07:14 PM
AOA Staff

Much can be learnt by trying and failing - I should know.