AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2004, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

Question Overclocking my ATI 8500 LE 128 MB DDR...

Is it possible to run my card at 8x if the card only supports 4x? My mobo supports the 8x AGP, but Im not exactly sure how to overclock a Video Card. Im new to this. Is it possible to change the AGP to 8x if my mobo supports it but my card only supports 4x? Is this one way to overclock? If not how woul I overclcok this specific Video card?
Old 20th April, 2004, 05:04 PM

Im pretty sure this ISNT the way to overclock and if it isnt, how do I over clock it and what would you clock it at with 512 MB DDR RAm running at 400mhz with an AMD 1700 Athlon proc?
Old 20th April, 2004, 10:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If the card is AGP 4x, you won't be able to run it at 8x speeds. The signaling is different.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2004, 10:39 PM

How would you overclock it and what are some safe speeds with Video Card?
Old 20th April, 2004, 10:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm afraid I haven't got the foggiest idea. I'm still rather new to OC myself, and haven't yet attacked my video card. Hopefully, one of the others here will have the info you seek.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2004, 10:59 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Nevermind, to OC the graphics card you need some software to change the Core and Memory speeds on the card.
Have a look in the AOA Files for VGA Tweaking utilities or try the Rage3D site which is dedicated to ATI cards.
Good luck and dont burn anything!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th April, 2004, 11:13 PM

lol. Hey Laz, what would you reccomend I clock it at? With 512 mb ddr ram at 400 mhz and an amd 1700 cpu?
Old 21st April, 2004, 12:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Nevermind, I really would not know! Do you know the clock speeds of Cards Core and memory? The simplest way would be to run the Tweaking utility software and it should tell you. Run some benchmarks like 3D2k1 and record your scores. Run the tweaking utility and increase the Core and memory speeds very very slightly. Re-bench and check scores and stability over the course of a few hours.
If all is ok, run the utility again and increase the core and mem slightly more, then repeat as above. You will get to a point (maybe at 10-20% over default speeds) were you will get severe insability and/or artifacts on the screen, this is the end of the OC road with your current cooling. simply back off your overclock a bit to regain normality! With extra cooling you may be able to go higher, maybe!
Ensure you have good cooling to the card at all times and take it slowly,you dont want to kill it!
Let us know how you get on.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st April, 2004, 12:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The some of the 8500LE 64meg versions are good overclockers because they used good memory. AFAIK, 128meg cards used slower memory.

As with all overclocking, results vary. For video cards, any expectations are a waste of time... You have to try it yourself, and see what you get. The best way is to bump core speed a couple of notches at a time, and run 3dmark... time consuming but effective. Then, bump memory speed a couple of mhz at a time. As soon as you see errors on screen, knock the speed back a bit.

Remember, there are many versions and many mfgrs for 8500LEs. They all behave differently, so there is absolutely no way anyone can guess at what your results will be. Overclocking is a time consuming process that rewards the patient and methodical.
Old 21st April, 2004, 02:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I feel it should be said that we see a fair amount of fried Video cards. Be sure your cooling is up to it before pushing very hard at all.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st April, 2004, 03:45 AM

Trust me, its not. Regular cooling: 1 Case Fan, 1 fan on Video Card (came built on card), and regular heatsink and fan on proc.
Old 21st April, 2004, 06:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Then use your best judgement ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic