AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2004, 01:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I guess you could say they are. Your definition though would imply to me that every part was tested for functionality before it left the factory, NOT that it had a particular life expectancy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:11 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

some manufacturers test and then lower expectatncies to account for "bad batched"... at least i think so....like lightbulbs.. they underestimate the hours..they have to as no 2 bulbs would last the exact same length of time(too many factors as to fixtures, etc.)
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:17 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Right. That's what the MTBF rating is all about. By definition, some parts will last longer, and some parts will die sooner. However, in a well controlled process, the vast majority of the parts will die very close to their MTBF rating.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th April, 2004, 07:07 AM

i'm gonna pull the proc and try again tomorrow...i'll update with the results as i think i got it cracked.
Old 30th April, 2004, 02:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dang! And I just got a Cannon PowerShot A70 camera last night, too! I'm gonna try to get you a pic of my CPUs (I just got two more from NewEgg).
Old 1st May, 2004, 03:12 AM

awesome it would be much appreciated..friday night here means i can do my own work, instead of working for others!
Old 1st May, 2004, 06:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I must confess that I am NOT a photographer. No doubt someone who knew what they were doing could have done a better job. Anyway, here're the pictures. As far as I can tell, all three chips are marked identically.
Attached Thumbnails
New Amd Athlon Unlock Info-cpu1.jpg   New Amd Athlon Unlock Info-cpu2.jpg   New Amd Athlon Unlock Info-cpu3.jpg  
Old 2nd May, 2004, 02:24 AM

thanks for the pics....L6 as well as L8 & L11 info have allowed me turn turn a 2400+ xp-M....every program recognizes it, however i cannot change the multi as of yet..i think it mave have something to do with the name string but i am unsure...more traces to be wiped of and reconnected i guess. This still doesn't explain why i was able to mod to a mobile by connecting only one trace...i am so damn confused...
Old 2nd May, 2004, 04:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad they helped. That appears to be the only use I am going to get out of them, as I managed to chip the cores and now neither of my new chips will even POST.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Ah man! That's just so unhappy making!! Very sorry to hear it!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd May, 2004, 05:21 AM

i think it's about time you invest in a shim...get a good one and it'll hepl heat a little too
Old 2nd May, 2004, 06:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Let's go front page and let folks know what you've come up with so far!

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd May, 2004, 03:22 PM

so the final modifications are done...and here is what i did...
Last L5 Trace connected as before
L6 cut to match start-up multi of 15
L8 cut to give a max voltage of 2.0

hwinfo and sandra recognize the proc as a mobile amd athlon(tm) xp-m 2400+
pstates transitions are not available on any board that i have so i cannot confirm nor deny that, however cpumsr says they are available.
changing multi's from windows not a problem on via board....i had cut all L6 and have since reconnected a few...although raising the multi was possible through cpumsr, stablility took a hit. Need more voltage( my test board offered no over-volting).

So this is what i have accomplished....a "full" mod to a mobile. I have still to try an n-force board, but that will probably happen later today. All Via chipset based boards that i have tried DO NOT recognize the chip as a mobile in the bios, but because of the slight increase in voltage due to the L8 traces being modified, i can boot into windows with the fsb @ 166 (instead of 133) and then lower the multi to bring back stability.
The more and more that i think about it, there has got to be more than outside appearances that differentiate between a mobile and XP chips.. side by side my chip resembles a mobile...and performs...
I have a compaq laptop that i am going to drop the chip into, and we will see how it works then...

off to work!
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page! Well done!! Should spark a bit of interest here and there....":O}

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:33 PM

thanks.
works for unlocking on nforce boards(@least my ga-7n400 Pro2).
the trick that baffled me was matchin max voltage to mobile standards...it's so simple but so scary as this may overvolt and fry your chip if your board allows cpu volt changes on the fly(mine does not, but the ga-7n400L does)
Old 2nd May, 2004, 10:41 PM

Woot! #7 result via DogPile!
Old 18th May, 2004, 12:46 PM

Ok, I'm confused ?
What was trying to accomplished here?

The mod to make you desktop into a mobile has been ducumented for a long time (and you know that from using CPUMSR) it's just one bridge.

Palomino used opposite bridges to what wa normal for the Barton/t-breds ?

A motherboard recognising it at startup is just down to it reading it properly and the name string has to be given for that to be correct (else just change it in Windows ) If it doesn't name it properly and yopu get 'Athlon K7 processo' it just hadn't got the info.

So I don't understand why/what and how this became news or what you are trying ?
Old 18th May, 2004, 01:31 PM

the previous info(ie CPUMSR) that i could find said the 2nd L5 bridge would make the mod to mobile...uh...if you look @ the pdf pic....i made the mod using the first.
all the other discussions may have distracted you from the real info.
the whole point for me was to be able to unlock a "superlocked" chip. and i have.
i have never gotten althlon k7 processor...only athlon 2400+,2600+,2700+,2800+, mind you i have never used multi/fsb combos that would generate anything other than a recognized chip, as my board DOES NOT read the name string.
i was able to get the chip recognized in windows as an xp-m and then adjust the multi's. as far as i can tell noone else can do this.
my friend is currently using the proc @ stock speeds...recognized as a xp-m.
the whole point? well, do you overclock? then why'd you ask? the freedom to set a processor @ the speed YOU want is a great thing...when they only make one peice of silicon, and the sales tactics of amd mislead people to believe there are more than a few different types of athlons out there, someone has to do something.

Last edited by cadaveca; 18th May, 2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 18th May, 2004, 01:51 PM

If you read the Epox area I have been mentioning this for quite a while.

Not the MP/-M swich over though, I think that may have come around with the new, recognised as Thorton w/512k (still a Barton though) could you test using CBid http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

I unlocked a super locked Barton 2500+ quite a while ago (mid march) and is recognised as -M (apart from CPU string) and have jumped up and down multipliers, I've now unmodified it and passsed it on.
I'll be testing a newer 2600+ soon.
8K3A+ And XP-M 2500+ Overclocking
Old 18th May, 2004, 02:16 PM

the only difference between you and me is that i am using an nforce board(in case u did not notice the sig)
and cpumsr does not work on nforce boards...
yet i unlocked my 2400+ for the nforce gigabyte boards.
this has not been known for a while.
sorry.
maybe you should read the thread again