AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2004, 02:20 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i don't read the epox area , as i donot have an epox board, nor a way to get one here locally(i don't have an evil creditcard)
i'm trying to unlock procs on the nforce2 ultra boards....i don't want to have to spend another 50 on a mobile chip(what it would cost me here) just to be able to get 200 fsb.

i'm really considering getting a mobile for less heat tho....
Old 18th May, 2004, 02:44 PM

I don't see the point in you buying hte mobile, save the money and put it towards a new system at a later date
Why spend money on a dead platform

From this post http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=53
I assumed you where testing and using VIA boards.
you said you hadn't tested on you nForce.

So you now have multiplier changing in Windows on an nForce2 board?
Or just the multiplier unlock on these CPU's through BIOS (which I think was ok before with the mobile mods on superlocked anyway? )
Old 18th May, 2004, 03:15 PM

i was previously unable to change anything on the proc....multi, fsb....i modded to mobile for a via board...all was good. i could drop multi's....and lower system temps to like high 20's.
but....
i did not mod the proc as was done by the writer of cpumsr or anyone else that i could find.
i tested many boards, mainly due to manufacturer defects.
all of them were via until the last 2
both were nforce 2 boards.
both could bios change multi's....but the chip will not boot @ some.
i really didn't want to overclock the chip.
i wanted a cool-running 1600mhz @ 200fsb.
it still won't go to 200...but will boot @ everything else except 166mhz up to 192mhz.
why spend money?
is a 64 based system gonna set me back $600 in the next year? not if i want to build a complete system.
i'm just a home-based pc builder...although i manage to make ends meet, i am by no means a millionaire. I need @ least 5 machines in my house....one for each family member and one for a firewall. A64 setups would cost me dearly(5000)....but i can get almost the same performance from an athlon based system(3000). dude..why spend money on an A64, when in a year or so they will have a new manufacturing process?

Last edited by cadaveca; 19th May, 2004 at 05:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2004, 08:10 PM

That's why I said don't buy, as the difference is negligable going to a mobile. But save the money for when they drop in price, with the A64 Cool'n'Quiet ability being exactly what your trying to achieve, except it does it better
Hence, save, till the prices of these a64 come down.
I don't spend silly money on computer bits (mainly as I don't have it ) I buy wisely. and £80 saved and added to what you would spend at a later date will get you a better system then as you'll gain very little spending it on a mobile cpu.

for ~£200 you can get a A-64,HSF and motherboard. About twice as much as a AXP-M and mobo. then you need a decent heatsink...
anyways i'm rambling and I'll shut up now.
Old 18th May, 2004, 09:46 PM

the reason for going mobile?
heat
plain and simple.
Old 18th May, 2004, 10:44 PM

I understand. I just thought saving the money and spending the same amount a bit later for a cooler CPU and newer platform would be a better way to do things.
But it's you money and ymmv.
Old 18th May, 2004, 10:49 PM

200 for you equals 500 for me..almost..@ curremnt exchange rates. add in case, psu, drives, keyboard, mouse, monitor....i'm looking @ 1000 for a decent system. i haven't even added in vid cards yet. fortunately i have 3 machines already, so only 2 left.
when games like far cry, that just came out, are able to be played on a 1800+ with a 9200 radeon....a64 i might buy in 3 years.besides which, a base level a64 is only 1800mhz....
Old 19th May, 2004, 09:55 AM

I'm getting mightily confused, exchange rate doesn't matter as it applies to all of the parts.

You said your going for cool running at 1.6GHz anyway, so a base 1.8GHz A64 is faster, cooler and reduces to 800MHz for even cooler and quiter operation when it's doin g nothing or the extra power isn't needed.
You said you don't want to spend the money just for a 400FSB (which I agree with, athough you say you would for heat, which I say the A64 a better choice for heat )

You only need a motherboard/CPU/HSF, why the rest of it ? You've already got that!

I now give up trying to figure out what you want (apart from and just like me, more money to buy the better stuff )

Although you could round up you findings (mobile mod with steppings) maybe make another post with the final information?
Old 19th May, 2004, 11:13 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyChicken
I'm getting mightily confused, exchange rate doesn't matter as it applies to all of the parts.
I'd love to live in your little world where exchange rates hold no importance
Old 19th May, 2004, 11:55 AM

I was meaning in context If you buy from your own country it has no relevance to the price of fish, only if your importing/exporting.
£200 ~ $500 (CAD) so what. come back the other way and it's still £200.
£80 CPU ~$200 (CAD)
The price difference be it 200/80 or 500/200 is the same. it's (exchange rate) just a multiplier in this sceanario.
i.e. £200 has the same value as $500 (CAD)*

Not that it holds no importance with respect other things.
The cost of living maybe different but that's a different thing altogether

anyway, this has nothing to do with Unlocking :s

* of course that's today, next week maybe different. $500 will still be $500
Old 19th May, 2004, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyChicken

You said your going for cool running at 1.6GHz anyway, so a base 1.8GHz A64 is faster, cooler and reduces to 800MHz for even cooler and quiter operation when it's doin g nothing or the extra power isn't needed.
You said you don't want to spend the money just for a 400FSB (which I agree with, athough you say you would for heat, which I say the A64 a better choice for heat )

You only need a motherboard/CPU/HSF, why the rest of it ? You've already got that!

I now give up trying to figure out what you want (apart from and just like me, more money to buy the better stuff )

Although you could round up you findings (mobile mod with steppings) maybe make another post with the final information?
um...i need 5 machines..dude you gotta read lol...i have 3....so where do i get the remaining parts for my other 2 machines?
i'm not going to answer any more wuestions, when the answers are right there..i'm too lazy to re-type
Old 19th May, 2004, 05:11 PM

one question for ya fluffy chicken...what the hourly wage there?
Old 19th May, 2004, 05:33 PM

I thought you had the 5 comps, miss read the 2 to go bit sorry.

Depends what job you get , minimum wage for over 21's is ~£4.50/hr (going upto £4.85/hr in October)
Average wage though is up in the £25,130, although most of that's around South UK
Average House price £140,000
Old 19th May, 2004, 05:45 PM

min wage here would be equal to 2.00 for you....so your minimum wage is more than double ours. the "poverty" level here is 17500....and there are alot of canadians making less than that. about 310000 for a house? omg. dude...move to canada..lol..we may make less..but things sure are cheaper....i live pretty comfortably(not really) off of 2750 a month...or like 1275 for you...
Old 19th May, 2004, 06:04 PM

I used to earn about the same as you and it was comfortable living,I have no kids mind you, (yes housing is the major problem here )
Of course redundency due to the ailing telecoms market (III-V Semiconductor to be precise) put paid to that hence why I've been doing the same 'modding' as you and what brought me into the topic although on cheaper VIA KT600 motherboards.

You should compare some or your finding to http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e24.html

I would still be interested in the IQYFA type steping on your modded cpu's (the one with the flipped mobile mod. and if the CBid link program picks it up as Thorton w/512k http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

As for living in Canada, I've actually been thinking about it before, maybe the Ontario region
Old 19th May, 2004, 06:28 PM

the proc was recognized by the cbid program as a
thoroughbred b amd athlon(tm) xp-m 2400+...definately not a thorton(although i had hoped)
the fab51 site is using bartons, my proc is a thoroughbred b..which noone seems to be using for overclocking anymore. because thoroughbred b's are so cheap, i chose them as my victims. maybe this is why(the proc being a thoroughbred) i get different results.
the stepping is aixjb...not iqyfa.(once again , not a barton)
dude..lol...did you really read the thread lol
Old 19th May, 2004, 06:57 PM

The stepping was just an example

err the article is so bitty, it's hard to follow My first post did say I was confused after I had read it (the 3 pics posted by gizmo are all of Bartons and the title is about unlocking. You didn't specificaly mention it was a t-bread, all the first posts metion t-bread and barton.)
Things are clearer now.
The pdf you say (#12) would be the first sign it's a tbread and not a barton (if the reader, i.e. me had noticed). Although you mention you unmodded it and in post before you mention various CPU's before hand.

Well I got to post #47 still no mention that we are talking about t-breads here and not bartons (which the 3 pics I have in front of me are), now i'm bored reading it again..

So maybe you need to go check what you wrote

Over here the t-breds/thorton w256 are a similar price to the bartons so that's why no one uses them in the UK
Old 19th May, 2004, 07:51 PM

the pics were of mobile cpu's in comparison to desktop..just something for me to base further research on.
i only mention 2 cpu's where this has worked...both thoroughbreds..i am sorry if it was unclear.
you've got to realise that this was the thread running while i was doing the work...just a way to bounce ideas off of people heads. because i know what was taking place in my home @ that time, i can understand how things are a little foggy for you....maybe your idea of starting a new thread is a good one. if you've been reading other threads i have posted in, you'll see i always attck people to start debates and get the mental juices flowing, so don't take anything i say personally. lol actually most my friends think i'm a jerk..i wonder why?lol
when the proc comes back in country @ the beginning of july, i'll be able to do some more work and further testing...i have another 5 boards to test here yet. all of my customers are oversea's workers, so most of the components i gwet my hands on are out the door fairly quickly....i actually traded the mobile modded proc for the one i am currently using, as this produces more heat @ the same speed as the 2400+, and the one i am using now was destined for a shuttle.
Old 19th May, 2004, 07:57 PM

If you do put it together put it in the FAQ (I see you have another one there).

When I get around to modding my new 2600+ Barton (coming up as thorton w/512 in some CPU-ID programs, which I thought odd but it is a similar stepping to the mobiles people are using now and is a relatively recent week number) I'll mention which way mobile mods it.
Old 19th May, 2004, 08:04 PM

could be a high heat producing mobile sold as a desktop...been known to happen before. problem when they only make 3-4 different chips and sell 30