AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th May, 2004, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't call it high heat producing, it's cooler at 2.3GHz than the older 2500+ was at 2.2GHz. (both just FSB to 400) Not having to ramp the voltages up much helps here of course.
The binning always has and always shall happen, happens in most similar things.

Interesting the new roadmap from AMD seems to have extended the SocketA platform liftime. Although they're calling it 'Value' now, the cheek of it!
Old 19th May, 2004, 08:40 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i think we will see a bunch of 400mhz fsb athlon bartons and maybe one with 1mb cache in the next 2 years, to keep people buying....how many people just dropped 100 on a new board?
longhorn has yet to "rear it's ugly horns" in a "big box" machine..and i don't think it will for another year or 2. but when that little stickler of a law that says performance should double every six months hangs around, you know all manufacturers are feeling the crunch....and an athlon with 1mb cache in socket a flavor....i'd be redoing a whole lot of machines right quick!
Old 18th August, 2004, 02:43 PM

Hi , Am new here and have just read through this thread on unlocking "superlocked" barton XPs. I have a week 15 2004 xp 3000+ on a soltek sl75frn2-rl with nforce2 ultra400 chipset, and I am interested in hearing how well you were able to unlock and overclock your barton, my cpu multi is locked at 13 x 166 (333) the mobo allows for the adjustments but as the cpu is locked it has no effect on any change I have the latest nvidia system utility from www.guru3d.com and this would let me change the multi on the fly if the cpu weren't locked. Anything you may have discovered about getting them to o'clock in an nforce2 mobo might be of good use

thanks in advance ALLAN
Old 18th August, 2004, 05:26 PM

In my honest opinion, drop the few bucks on a mobile chip and a good cooler. In order for you to get the mobile mod to work, you've gotta connect some traces for voltage and for the mobile identifier. Although it's great to beable to squeeze a few mhz outta your chip, you can get the same results by just raising your FSB.
overclocking is not just setting a chip at a speed and seeing if it boots, you need to do rigorous testing as well, to ensure stability. If your system is not stable, you chance random reboots and hardrive corruption. Although all of this is unavoidable when proper measures are taken, more than likely you'll get to abt 2300mhz or so, and not much higher. with this in mind, you'll also get more heat.
this is why i recommend a true mobile. they operate at lower voltages to begin with, and are easier to maintain.
otherwise, take your fsb as high as you can...this is the best way imho to overclock, as you'll get more info pasing all over the board. just make sure your agp is set to 66mhz and pci to 33.
Old 19th August, 2004, 12:42 PM

Ok , If I was in the market to buy it then in hindsight I would do that instead, but the fact is I already have an xp 3000+ cpu and would like to unlock it if possible

the mobile chip are a fair bit more expensive as well I am also a bit of a modder and if I see something that I think may work I will research it as much as I can and the have a try for myself, besides the fact I would still want to overclock Any cpu I got my hads on just to see how far I coud go with it lol
Old 19th August, 2004, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafton26
Ok , If I was in the market to buy it then in hindsight I would do that instead, but the fact is I already have an xp 3000+ cpu and would like to unlock it if possible

the mobile chip are a fair bit more expensive as well I am also a bit of a modder and if I see something that I think may work I will research it as much as I can and the have a try for myself, besides the fact I would still want to overclock Any cpu I got my hands on just to see how far I coud go with it lol
what week..oh yeah itsa new one...
well, you can try connecting the l-5 bridges to enable the mobile status. this will allow the change of multi's...you can still play with the fsb. i got mine to work in a nforce board, but it turns out it does not work in my current one. so, like i was saying, your best bet is to just push the fsb up. hopefully you can set the agp and pci bridgers to 66 and 33 mhz.
Old 19th August, 2004, 11:31 PM

The pci and agp are locked on this mobo and shouldn't be a problem
Old 20th August, 2004, 12:17 AM

then crank up the fsb, and test along the way...you get more overall performance by upping the fsb and not the multi....
2500+=166x11,3200+=200x11....
Old 20th August, 2004, 02:37 PM

The best it will go on fsb is 180mhz multi is 13 x , wish I could reduce the multi an increase the fsb, I did it on an old cyrix mII 300 and got a real boost in performance lol

this is why I am interested in unlocking the cpu so I can get better perfomance as well as a slight over clock speed increase. The crix fsb was 75 and the multi was 4.5 and it was running at about 333mhz, In this case it ran a heap cooler than before as well.

the 180mhz fsb overclock wasn't 100% stable prime 95 benchmark wouldn't finish but at 175 mhz fsb it would benchmark , but the torture test would fail earlier and the cpu would get to 53+c, the current cpu die is at 24c and get up to 39c in the middle of the day. am currently working on improving case ventalation as I want it to run just as cool with case lids on or off

Last edited by grafton26; 20th August, 2004 at 02:45 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2004, 06:34 PM

if you do the mod, you can use cpumsr to lower the multi as long as you can do in you bios screen. AFAIK, that is now the only barrier. i can use it to change my fsb on my board, but not the voltage or multi.
i know what you mean by wanting to drop the multi...but you'll find it to be a big hassle that cuases lots of crashes and wastes time. i spent alot of time on this mod, and in the end i bought a real mobile. $70 well spent.
Old 21st August, 2004, 08:16 AM

I found a XP2500 mobile for $200 aus ,The desktop version is $135 aus . I have only just built this system and I would rather overclock what I already own , as for cpu msr I don't think it will work with nforce2 mobos and in anycase I have a nice little program written by nvidia that will let me change the multi ,fsb and ram timings in windows as long as the cpu is unlocked, Its called nvidia system utility.
Old 21st August, 2004, 08:42 AM

i have thta tool as well, and in my current board and with my modded apu and my mobile, nvsysutil crashed my system. this is not to say that it won't work for you.
your guaranteed, almost, to be able to overclock the fsb on your processor if your ram will go higher that the cpu's default fsb. just make sure that they are run asychronysly, and all things should be good. Don't be afraid to give your cpu some extra voltage, but keep that 60c temp max under load in mind. i let mine hit 65 sometimes if my room is hot, but i'm more than willing to have a real excuse, to buy new parts, to give to my wife!
there was no price difference for me to buy a mobile over a desktop..both $126 CAD
Old 21st August, 2004, 08:50 AM

The shops down under are greedy, have seen little difference between mobil and desktop on us ans other sites lol , did cpumsr work on your nforce2 mobo?? , I read the guys article about how to do it and how he had not been able to get the prog working reliably on nforce2 chipset mobos
Old 21st August, 2004, 09:08 AM

it works fine now.new version was released in april.
Old 21st August, 2004, 12:08 PM

Question

Oh, wHich version is that ????
the one that I have is 0.88 ????

I just looked on his site I too have latest version, all i need to do is unlock my xp3000 cpu and i will be in business LOL

My motherboard is a soltek SL75FRN2-RL , does anybody know if they are a good overclock mobo or not, it has som nice features , like sata raid and 10/100 lan, bios gives acess to multi settings fsb settings and ram timings ( I don't know much those yet )

Last edited by grafton26; 21st August, 2004 at 12:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st August, 2004, 03:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
just make sure that they are run asychronysly, and all things should be good.
I think you meant to run the memory synchronously (1:1). Asynch will cost you memory bandwidth because of the mismatch in timings. AMD based boards seem to not like running asynchronous timings.
Old 21st August, 2004, 03:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Can't say about your model board, but Soyo was one of the very first, no, as far as I know, was the first to offer real O/C options to the consumer out of the box.

It should be at lest a decent board to O/C. ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 23rd October, 2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 21st August, 2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I think you meant to run the memory synchronously (1:1). Asynch will cost you memory bandwidth because of the mismatch in timings. AMD based boards seem to not like running asynchronous timings.
lmao ooops.
at least you know what i meant
Old 23rd October, 2004, 05:29 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking Nice one Cadaveca

I like how you follow your goal, and what do you think about this???

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...ocking-02.html

I have just downloaded several movies from tom's an it's impressive.
After you read this give me your opinion.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 23rd October, 2004, 09:10 PM

Not much of an opinion....i knew that it worked before...i rendered a few boards inoperable by making the FID change, but a bios flash got them back to normal. It's funny, becasue i forgot about this whole pursuit of mine once i got a real mobile.

My modded cpu is still working @ 10.5x215...in my file server.

nice to see someone has taken all the info out there and made a real guide!