AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd April, 2004, 04:47 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Talking New Amd Athlon Unlock Info

so...it's official.
amd has changed packaging one again.
i thought when i got this new cpu that the traces looked different.
all previous info for unlock post week 43 does not apply to these new procs. Mine is 0412 so i don't know when this started but i can assure you it is one both 266 and 333 mhz models(thoroughbred b and barton)
well.. at least a new 2400+ and 2600+..so all should be alike.
previously it was believed that you had the connect the rightmost L5 trace to enable MP processing in non-MP athlons, and the 2nd was for mobile. well, after connecting almost all bridges over the last 2 weeks i have only been able to mod it into a mobile(and then use powernow! to adjust multipliers), and not by the second L5, but by the first, which was previously to make it MP.
you can imaginge the shock @ my discovery...i'll hve pics up of the modded cpu and results from different cpu id programs(all of which now recongnize the mobile status). As i had been having temp problems before..you can imagine how excited i am to be able to use cpumsr to drop multipliers and lower my temp to 27c idle(from 41)
Old 23rd April, 2004, 06:32 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

sweet!
Old 23rd April, 2004, 04:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

THAT is interesting!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2004, 04:47 PM

i'm going to get a new proc or 2 today from another shop and compare....as i have the 2400+ @ 10x215 stable and the silicon is reall bad looking...i think this new packaging makes for lees heat.
i don't understand how... but i think it should be @ like 63w and its only doing 52w...it may be the 350w PSU(5v rail reads 1.76 but i am not sure this is accurate)
will take pics when i pick up the new proc and get it installed.
i had to do the mod...the new shuttle box i got in the mail yesterday DID NOT UNLOCK IT. Seeing how it was a nforce2 i figured i would not have to do any proc mods for my customer to be able to overclock...thankfully now i don't have to worry about him bitchin about heat or something(his 2600+ remains locked for now)

Last edited by cadaveca; 23rd April, 2004 at 04:51 PM. Reason: more info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd April, 2004, 05:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If it is reading 1.76 on the 5v rail, then MBM is reading the wrong sensor. At that voltage, your machine wouldn't even boot.....
Old 23rd April, 2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
If it is reading 1.76 on the 5v rail, then MBM is reading the wrong sensor. At that voltage, your machine wouldn't even boot.....
beleive me i know this.
but all sensor reporting programs say 1.76
@first i thought i might be v-core..but i was wrong.
when i got the 5v rail to read 5.41 the 12v dropped to 3.6 and agp went to .03..so i don't know what's going on...it's an ITC i've never seen before or heard of on this board, but seeeing how it was manufactured only 22 days ago(or so the date stamp says) not alot of documentation can be found
do you know the watt comsumption of thoroughbred b/bartons? i get mixed info.

Last edited by cadaveca; 23rd April, 2004 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added question
Old 23rd April, 2004, 05:34 PM

now i found that mbm reports my hd temp when it never did on any other board...i am not sure what sensor i am reading, but it generally seems to stay 2-4c lower than system except when running a game
Old 23rd April, 2004, 05:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
do you know the watt comsumption of thoroughbred b/bartons? i get mixed info.
I do not know the power consumption of the T-bred Bs. Bartons run from 40 to about 75W depending on voltage and clock rate at stock settings. This calculator can give you a feel for things.
Old 23rd April, 2004, 05:46 PM

so yeah by that calculator i'm running real low...which means i have LOTS of headroom to work with...i knew it anyway because upping the fsb to 200 DID NOT INCREASE TEMPS...WELL OK BY .3C
Old 25th April, 2004, 10:09 PM

How do you use powernow! to change multiplier?
Old 26th April, 2004, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloader1
How do you use powernow! to change multiplier?
through a program called cpumsr...google it.

Last edited by cadaveca; 26th April, 2004 at 12:50 AM. Reason: wrong program
Old 27th April, 2004, 06:17 PM

thisis a pic of the modded chip...i have since removed the mod(not supported by nforce chipsets)
i've got the chip @ 2250mhz @ stock voltage....KEEP ON PUSHING!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mobile cpu mod.pdf (357.8 KB, 616 views)
Old 27th April, 2004, 06:36 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If looking for new CPUs, the best bet is buy a mobile chip. They are still factory unlocked. Getting a regular CPU and modding it to mobile really doesn't do it. It is just able to use the powernow functions, which are supported by most via mobos. NF2 does not.
Old 27th April, 2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
If looking for new CPUs, the best bet is buy a mobile chip. They are still factory unlocked. Getting a regular CPU and modding it to mobile really doesn't do it. It is just able to use the powernow functions, which are supported by most via mobos. NF2 does not.
you hit the nail on the head...but just because it isn't documented does not mean it can't be done. if that was the case i would have never got this chip to mobile status. btw, it did make it more stable when i tried different multi's...i have to switch to 100fsb to get it recognize as a 1800+ now, where as when it had the mod i could just flip the multi dips on the board.
if someone would post a pic of their mobile, i might be able to make some comparisons and get it unlocked...it's obvious they have changed the L5 configuration, and i would LOVE to figure it out completely.(or you could send me the actuall chip! )
Old 27th April, 2004, 07:11 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
you hit the nail on the head...but just because it isn't documented does not mean it can't be done. if that was the case i would have never got this chip to mobile status. btw, it did make it more stable when i tried different multi's...i have to switch to 100fsb to get it recognize as a 1800+ now, where as when it had the mod i could just flip the multi dips on the board.
if someone would post a pic of their mobile, i might be able to make some comparisons and get it unlocked...it's obvious they have changed the L5 configuration, and i would LOVE to figure it out completely.(or you could send me the actuall chip! )
Not disagreeing with you... Just stating the obvious. Those of us stuck with locked CPUs have some hope with the L5 mod you mentioned. Those currently shopping for new CPUs, should avoid the hassle and buy a mobile processor.

To make a long story short, buying a mobile gets you a fully unlocked CPU. Buying a locked CPU and doing the L5 mod, is a waste of time. The CPU will still be locked as far as the BIOS is concerned. It will only have multiplier control on non-NF2 boards through software. The max multiplier will be 11x unless further mods are done. I figure you know this already, cadaveca. But a lot of people may read, and jump to the wrong conclusions.
Old 27th April, 2004, 07:20 PM

can't argue with that
Old 28th April, 2004, 04:41 PM

the one thing that all you are really doing is breaking connections from that point on that will not affect how the cpu acts.
the last part is taking the L6 and setting max multi to 24.. which i have done...fortunately the startup multi is 15. however it seems as though i HAVE unlocked lower multis(11 and lower) IN BIOS. now, don't go rushing out and buying a cpu to do the dirty for cheap 'cause i have not confirmed this on more than 3 boards so far...applying all the artic silver just right takes time!
the thing is that because they have changed packaging THE OLD RULES QUITE OBVIOUSLY DON'T APPLY so you can't say that doing the L5 mod is a waste of time. that's like me saying your overclock is a waste of time. There is no way to reverse engineer anything without trial and error. i appreciate your opinion, but don't stunt possible advancements. if people read my posts fully(and if you overclock you know that you need to read every last detail you can find) they would have understood that this does not apply to nforce boards in regards to changing multi's, and i think i said it was useful for lower idle temps...which would make your silicon last longer...how is that no use?
Old 28th April, 2004, 06:12 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
can't argue with that
I guess you changed your mind.
If you enjoy the work, great. I'm not arguing that.
There ARE some users who prefer the path of least resistance. It is for them that I posted the warnings, and I stand by what I said. I did not intend to insult you in any way.

EDIT: I never said that the L5 mod is a waste of time... FYI, I have 2 locked bartons, and 2 kt600 mobos. As a result, I am strongly considering doing the L5 mod myself. It IS however a waste of time if a person is going to buy a CPU with the goal of having an unlocked CPU, and specifically buys a locked CPU and has to mod it to get some multiplier flexibility. That is why I mentioned a mobile Barton, since it is fully unlocked.
Old 28th April, 2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
To make a long story short, buying a mobile gets you a fully unlocked CPU. Buying a locked CPU and doing the L5 mod, is a waste of time. The CPU will still be locked as far as the BIOS is concerned. It will only have multiplier control on non-NF2 boards through software. The max multiplier will be 11x unless further mods are done. I figure you know this already, cadaveca. But a lot of people may read, and jump to the wrong conclusions.

this is your comment on it being a waste of time.
Old 28th April, 2004, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
this is your comment on it being a waste of time.
Dude, read what I say, please. The exact quote is:

"Buying a locked CPU and doing the L5 mod, is a waste of time."

If you like projects for the sake of having something to do, more power to you. If you want an unlocked processor and you pass up on one, just so you can play with L5's and a bunch of software, then I guess I am wrong.