AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2004, 04:32 PM
Banned

Bridge Painting

I decided to try painting the bridges on 1600+ my pali this weekend. I had been sent an unlocking kit with the CPU when I bought it but finally got up the nerve to give it a go.The kit came from www.highspeedpc.com. It is a nightmare!!
I used tape to mask off the gaps between the bridges and painted them with the "gapfiller". Pulled the tape off and left overnight to dry.
Next morning I applied tape to begin applying the "conductive grease".
Got the first bridge painted, removed the tape and WHAT!! the tape removed all of the gapfiller...which hadn't dried.
Closer scrutiny of the contents of this kit revealed gapfiller that won't dry and grease that won't dry.
Someone, with a very steady hand and Eagle-eyes might be able to use this kit to paint bridges, however, I think you would have to do it freehand without aid of tape (or anything else) to mask. Then ther would be the problem of re-installing the CPU without smearing all your hard work.
I intend to try the Superglue-Defogger Paint scheme next. Seems like it might work better for me.
Hope this helps a few folks avoid some disappointment and frustration!
CoachB
Old 23rd May, 2004, 05:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Thanks for the info, CoachB22. I'm sure it will come in handy for someone around here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd May, 2004, 07:38 PM
Member/Contributer

To sort of help change everyones mind, I have the kit too and had a really good experience with it. The kit comes with a magnafying glass and 3 vials. One cleaning, one conductive, one bridging compound, and the tape. Personally I didn't use the tape, which might have ended up as my downfall, however...

I took out my cpu and scratched the dots with an eyeglass repair screwdriver to freeup the surface. Then I took the needle and ran it across the gaps and filled them in. Immediatly thereafter I took the grease(well ok I wiped off all of the excess gap filler) and smeared a straight line down from the top to the bottom. I took a ton of time and filled them in all one at a time from left to right(I'm right handed) and then I let it sit for a bit just to get a drink and maybe let whatever has to dry dry. I put it in and all my hopes up....letdown it didn't work, I think. I can't remember if my motherboard just didn't have adjustable multis or what, because I got my barton and my new baord at the same time.

So since I'm a guy and I have crack baby hands I had my g/f do it after cleanign it off. She made the straightest lines I've ever seen, puts me to shame :-[. Tried it again in my old board and I dont remember it being unlocked, then again it was in my old board. So I guess that it might have worked but I have no desire to try, I got my barton right here .
Old 25th May, 2004, 06:31 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

whenever i paint bridges i use the rear defrogger kit....although it is not easy to scratch the stuff off, i have done it so many times now, that using a pin is very easy. I also never use tape..freehand with a pin..with the tip bent..if your reall good, you bend the pin so it joins the traces and then dip it in the goop and press it on th proc...i usually do this twice....and have not had a prob with it. As well, you can scratch off screw ups very easily and keep on going...i've even just spread the stuff over all 5 L1's and scratched out lines after....