AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th June, 2004, 03:09 PM

Xbox

I was wondering if anyone here has modded their xbox and would have osme advice? Not for solederinf i can do that but i mean precautions or trickyparts to watch out for. I willl be getting an X3 when they come out. http://www.teamxecuter.com/
Old 19th June, 2004, 03:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dpgdog187 Send a message via MSN to dpgdog187

Modding

To be honest I modding an Xbox can be a really big pain pending on what you usage is going to be. My buddy and I modded his out with a larger HD and a newer version of the debian os but it hasnt worked right since. Unless you are really game hungry I would just leave it alone. Plus if you get cause on Xbox live its a federal offense now.
Old 19th June, 2004, 03:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Say WHAT?!

Modding your own hardware is a FELONY?!

Can you provide more info on this? Links and stuff?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2004, 04:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Wow thats well harsh!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2004, 06:01 PM
Banned

!!not modding your hardware, sorry for not being specific about that. With Microsoft piracy laws getting stiffer everyday. The companies that create the mod chips for Xbox's decompile the core in order to due so which is illegal but wont get you penalized. What gets alot of people in trouble is when they attempt to use these system on Xbox live. I dont know exactly how it works but somehow their servers can detect custom hardware and the system is instantly suspended from the service and the user is reported to the local authorities. (This I know to be true cause I already had one friend get busted for it)
Old 19th June, 2004, 06:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Thats unbeliveable, microsoft are getting worse every day, hope your mate didnt get in to much trouble!
Old 19th June, 2004, 06:21 PM
Banned

I couldnt find anything in depth online while searching this morning but take a look at this if you have any doubts about modding your box. http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...1004016641.htm . I will say that I am not against it in any fashion but we reap what we sow!
Old 19th June, 2004, 09:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ok. THIS I knew about. Decompiling someone else's code is strictly verboten according to U.S. Copyright law, and that is how the mod chips are made from what I understand. I personally think the law is a crock, but that's the way it is.
Old 19th June, 2004, 09:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The link you provided is a little lacking in detail. It wasn't Microsoft per se, but a group consisting of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. There's more details on the Lik Sang website . The crux of that matter was that Lik Sang were selling both mod-chips, and hardware (such as Flash carts) that would probably be used to make copy of ROM based games.
Old 19th June, 2004, 10:14 PM
Banned

I was under the impression that the ROM itself was composed of information from the decomplied core of the system itself. In such case wouldn't the hardware and software would be illegal no matter who made or sold it as long as it was used in their system?
Old 19th June, 2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Ok. THIS I knew about. Decompiling someone else's code is strictly verboten according to U.S. Copyright law, and that is how the mod chips are made from what I understand. I personally think the law is a crock, but that's the way it is.
I couldnt agree with you more, I think that after purchase any hardware rights should be released for that system in particular, so modding any system that any person might buy should be totally legal. To be honest, I think its a corporate fail-safe to keep the atypical hardware person from improving on a design without paying homage to the parent design and company
Old 20th June, 2004, 02:21 PM

Mod chips are legal asuming they they are madw 5without ms code. Liek all commercial ones and that they dont have the ms bios on htem. BUt they have to use a legal bios. If its all legal the most ive heerd of was MS auto ban system from live. Live has a detection system. YOul get your unique xbox code banned.

EDIT. Thats why. I included the link.

WEll anyway... Hasta semana Y feliz vacationes para todos las personas.
(There amy be bad grammer.)

FOr those who dont speak spainish. Cya in a week. ANd happy vacation for all the persons. (Literal translaton.) I'm going to boy scout camp.