AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2004, 06:52 AM

Question P4 Northwood 1.8A Overclocking - (LARGE PIC INSIDE)

Today I tried overclocking the 1.8 Ghz CPU, and I got as far as a 2.43 Ghz stable. However around 2.52 Ghz, the computer would lock up during a CPU Burn-in test.

This CPU has a 400 mhz FSB.

The temperatures are just fine; ~ 31 C idle and 44 - 46C under 10 minutes of CPU-Burn in. (at the 2.43 Ghz speed)

Those temperatures should be fine, but is this problem related to voltage settings? The CPU shouldn't lock up (or..) since the temp's are perfectly fine.

Anybody help? Thanks. I believe this CPU can still be overclocked even further.

> CPU under stock P4 fan, with Arctic Silver thermal paste.

http://hk.nrgservers.net/untitled.JPG

Last edited by mcg; 26th July, 2004 at 07:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 11:43 AM
Member/Contributer

First of all, 2.43 GHz is very impressive from the stock cooler. I'm pretty sure you will need a better cooler if you want more. You can't rely too much on the onboard temperature readings as they are known to be quite inaccurate.

Say, now you already have a nice overclock, why not put it to good use? We have a folding@home team here that needs your help! PM me for more info, or just click the badge in my signature.
Old 26th July, 2004, 05:50 PM

Haha I see... so now I've downloaded this program, and signed up a username, joined team 45. So now I just run this for burn-in tests / background... for how long? (until i reach 1000/1000?)
Old 26th July, 2004, 05:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No. Just until we end the ills of mankind...":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2004, 06:37 PM
Member/Contributer

Good of you to join our efforts! As this program helps the scientists to gain knowledge to be able to cure diseases, there will always be more work to do.

The 1000 you are referring to are known as frames. Every work unit consists of a number of these frames, and when it is done it will upload its results and download a new work packet.

Swing by the folding section and say hi to the other folders, they will appreciate it!

Thank you once again for joining.
Old 26th July, 2004, 11:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

welcome to the fold...
That is a very impressive o/c from that CPU, and about temps, alot of mobos are way off, it is probably not stable....
or, you will need better ram, or chipset cooler..
good o/c out of that tho.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th August, 2004, 12:49 PM

what SSpec code is it?

i hear SL6LA is a sweet version to work with with some breaking 3ghz with out 2 much of a voltage boost.

one dudes had 3.7ghz out with phase change and 1.75volts

but as long as the stock voltage is 1.525 u can still get it faster, the other stepping versions that run on 1.5volts arnt so great

*edit*

looks like some guy got 4041mhz with 1.87volts and phase change also but me thinks it it wouldnt be stable at that speed lol

Last edited by DrSpanky; 16th August, 2004 at 12:58 PM.