AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2002, 12:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Compuwife
I think it's do-able...but, I wouldn't go with goldfish.
It would have to be quite a large tank too, wouldn't it?
Goldfish don't live very well in the warm water...they like it cold...I would choose a more tropical fish and preferrably and edible one, because it sounds like you might end up frying/boiling them

This is a pretty good thread though...I like it.
you would soon be eating your tropical fish if you did that.
Old 2nd February, 2002, 09:15 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Well, what I meant was, won't the water be warmer after it is circulated through the waterblock?
I don't know a whole lot about watercooling, but, won't the water be warmer as it is circulating out of the system?
It will circulate through the system and back into the tank won't it?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2002, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Compuwife
Well, what I meant was, won't the water be warmer after it is circulated through the waterblock?
I don't know a whole lot about watercooling, but, won't the water be warmer as it is circulating out of the system?
It will circulate through the system and back into the tank won't it?

yes, hence the getting a stable temp and never turning it off.
Old 2nd February, 2002, 01:39 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

compuwife, no waterblock at all! just sit the PC in the water itself!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2002, 02:02 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I'm not endorsing this lunacy in any way, but...

You still would benefit from a heatsink. If you do not use a heatsink, you will have to jet water into the CPU to cool i effectively.

I like the fibreglass resin idea. (I use it to repair gastanks. It is indestructible.)

I tried some experiments like this a while back. Transmission fluid was a decent non-insulated cooant. Brake fluid ate the plastic parts. Water presents several problems.

1) The board and all the cards and connections will have to be completely insulated against the water. This is going to take forever, and will most likely breed heat issues.

2) If you do not use distilled water, you will have corrosion issues.

3) If you use distilled water, it won't be distilled anymore after you airate it or the fish. See # 2.

4) The fish will die. Idle and load temperatures will probably varry enough to kill any fish.

I think you will need to isolate the mobo. If you keep the two areas separate, it will help the fish, and you won' have fish crap on your board.
Old 3rd February, 2002, 05:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

I am suprised this thread has not returned to the chicken cooling method....
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 3rd February, 2002, 05:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Chicken cooling method?

You really should not discuss our voodoo overclocking rituals in the forum. Who knows who could be reading.
Old 3rd February, 2002, 08:55 AM

Lightbulb

Good idea to put a comp in a fishtank maybe u shoud try putting it in some sort of plastic bag, or something... sealed... the pressure of the water will hold it tight on the pcb's (no air in the bag) I think it wil cool the CPU only with a heatsink and no fan, because the heat will dissipate through the water. - just an idea. Remember boiling water in a paper cup with fire under it? The paper doesn't burn because the water absorbed all the heat from the fire. I think it will work with a CPU as well, but U shoud isolate the cables whwere they get out of the plastic bag. And if it is a large tank, the water on't get too warm for the fish... I had a fish that survived many times from overheat - 60C or so - because the heater was damaged. Just get a healthy one ...
Old 3rd February, 2002, 10:29 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

guys its a p233MMX not a modern day hotplate! the thing uses a heatsink no more beefy than the one on my 8KHA+ northbridge, it wont heat the water up much at all! im perfectly happy to waterproof the whole board....... since it wont be coming apart again ill probably just spray the whole thing (except the CPU surface) with epoxy with a spray gun as dimmreaper said.

anyone know if a cdrom can function submerged?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 3rd February, 2002, 04:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to efiman

I dont think so TIM
Old 3rd February, 2002, 05:04 PM
Member/Contributer

No, and a hard drive can't either. Tell ya what... why don't you just whack the CPU with a hammer, and save yourself some time?
Old 3rd February, 2002, 05:08 PM

wait a sec! i can make a HDD work underwater....... just pressurize it! then water CANT get in! CDROM is a little harder tho, cos needs to be openable.... i could waterproof the case itself, and have a hole in the tank woth the bezel protruding so i can load cd's

and before anyone says it, ill filter the air going into the drive VERY VERY well

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 3rd February, 2002, 08:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Ya think so? *L*

Make sure you get pics, cause I don't think you'll be hitting that power switch more than once.
Old 3rd February, 2002, 11:40 PM

BAH! i will! u watch me!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 8th February, 2002, 05:40 PM
Banned

Um.

Nevermind
Old 8th February, 2002, 06:47 PM

LOL! whats that about pinky?!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 8th February, 2002, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
LOL! whats that about pinky?!
I wasn't visualizing the whole thing.
Old 8th February, 2002, 08:17 PM

Do this please; once you get everything in the fish tank, including water, please be recording it on video and post it so we can see the chaos that ensues.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 8th February, 2002, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC
Do this please; once you get everything in the fish tank, including water, please be recording it on video and post it so we can see the chaos that ensues.
lol, but that would be evidence the insurance company might hold against him should that video fall into the wrong hands or be found after the 4 alarm fire
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to efiman

lol just do it