AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th February, 2002, 12:34 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

im gonna start working on it the second we get the P3 set up with the cable modem etc... once thats done i can play with the p233mmx

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2002, 03:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to efiman

your workin on a p233mmx right now?
Old 10th February, 2002, 11:18 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ummmmm not quite

this is currently an Athlon XP 1738mhz its cold at the moment

my mums pc is a 233mmx..... its being uprgraded to p3-450 (would overclock but the board is old and wont let me play)

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2002, 01:31 AM

gotcha i didnt think you would be workin on that old of a computer
Old 13th February, 2002, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
I'm not endorsing this lunacy in any way, but...

You still would benefit from a heatsink. If you do not use a heatsink, you will have to jet water into the CPU to cool i effectively.

I like the fibreglass resin idea. (I use it to repair gastanks. It is indestructible.)

I tried some experiments like this a while back. Transmission fluid was a decent non-insulated cooant. Brake fluid ate the plastic parts. Water presents several problems.

1) The board and all the cards and connections will have to be completely insulated against the water. This is going to take forever, and will most likely breed heat issues.

2) If you do not use distilled water, you will have corrosion issues.

3) If you use distilled water, it won't be distilled anymore after you airate it or the fish. See # 2.

4) The fish will die. Idle and load temperatures will probably varry enough to kill any fish.

I think you will need to isolate the mobo. If you keep the two areas separate, it will help the fish, and you won' have fish crap on your board.
As per number one he could use plumbers puttp to seal the cards slots or possibly the wax they use for canning.

As for idle and load temps most tropical fish can take temp changes of around 10 to 15 degs as long as it isnt sudden like taking them out of 80f watter and dropping them in 70f that will kill them but a slow change would be fine also i doutthe water would het up any where near 10 degs more like 2 to 5 max depending on the size of the tank a 10 gallon will heat up more than a 25 gallon and do so faster.
Also he could run it through a simple system to cool or heat the water to keep the temp from climbing or falling to much.
Old 13th February, 2002, 09:01 AM
eobard

Halfway down the first page I just said "ferget this, I don't need to read any further to know it's a bad idea" so if I missed something after 1/2 of page one you'll have to forgive me. Lemme just say this: I think it's a bad idea, I suggest you try the innert mineral oil immersion thingie instead if you really want to experiment with open air liquid cooling.
Old 13th February, 2002, 11:42 AM

how is it a bad idea eobard? its a p233mmx im not gonna mourn its loss if it fries

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 13th February, 2002, 11:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
how is it a bad idea eobard? its a p233mmx im not gonna mourn its loss if it fries
When it fries! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th February, 2002, 12:16 PM

god im a pessimist! and even i say IF!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 13th February, 2002, 12:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by nova

As per number one he could use plumbers puttp to seal the cards slots or possibly the wax they use for canning.
I suspect that "plumbers putty" is probably toxic to fish. Copper certainly is toxic to fish! I suspect that either way you go, you'll end up killing the fish.

Perhaps you need to seperate the fish tank into two compartments. One for the PC, and one for the fish. That way you don't kill the fish!

AidanII
Old 13th February, 2002, 01:56 PM

there will be no copper in the system, the board wont actualyl get wet, cos it will be sealed with epoxy! there are no pumps or pipes. it shouldnt kill the fish!

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 13th February, 2002, 04:57 PM
Banned

So, uh, like when is the "date"
Old 13th February, 2002, 07:42 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
I agree with Daniel when it fries. If you use water you'll need to insulate. It'd be very difficult to get 100% insulation from the water and if you do succeed you'll probably have so much insulation that not only will it keep the water out but it'll keep the heat in. If losing a 233mmx means nothing to you then send it my way along with the motherboard and I'll send you my Cyrix 6x86 and it's board in an even swap, you can kill that one to your hearts content!
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:21 PM

Forget the board frying, I want to see the fish electrocuted.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 13th February, 2002, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC
Forget the board frying, I want to see the fish electrocuted.
lmao that cruel
*whats the number for the animal rights people*
Old 14th February, 2002, 02:40 AM

ya that is quite crule
Old 14th February, 2002, 05:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hey maybe the poor guys just hungry!....naw!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 14th February, 2002, 03:40 PM

Let's have a fish fry!

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 14th February, 2002, 07:30 PM

If this works ill eat my hat (and the fish )

Just make sure you put a trip swich on the power plug so you dont damage your houses electrics.

And stand well back []

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 15th February, 2002, 07:12 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

And they called me crazy for dropping a P75 into an aquarium foull of brake fluid.... *L*

Not the people here, or at spodes.... my neighibors... see brake fluid is flamable, and not wanting to burn down my house with a couple gallon maltov cocktail, I did it in the driveway. *L*

It did work... but only once. The brake fluid ate the plastics. The Tranny fluid "worked", but God what a mess..

My thoughts on this:

Get yourself a LOT of old heatsinks. Cut then into shaller pieces, and arctic silver epoxy them to every chip, and capacitor on the board, then paint on your wax. Otherwise, the components won't be "in" the water, and you will be doin all of this for nothing. You still need a pump too. The water doesn't do a whole lot of good unless you are jetting it onto the hot places.

(I still, in no way, endorse this lunacy.)