AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th February, 2002, 07:20 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
My thoughts on this:

Get yourself a LOT of old heatsinks. Cut then into shaller pieces, and arctic silver epoxy them to every chip, and capacitor on the board, then paint on your wax. Otherwise, the components won't be "in" the water, and you will be doin all of this for nothing. You still need a pump too. The water doesn't do a whole lot of good unless you are jetting it onto the hot places.

(I still, in no way, endorse this lunacy.)
That's a good idea, using the sinks to overcome the increased heat that insulating the chips from the water would cause.
Old 15th February, 2002, 05:22 PM

Been done, check it out.

Step by step.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface

Last edited by nullCRC; 15th February, 2002 at 05:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2002, 06:26 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

again i state : its a p233MMX not exactly hot!! the heatsink on it at the mo is about what most of us would have on a northbridge

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th February, 2002, 09:51 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
again i state : its a p233MMX
Again I state: I've a Cyrix 6x86, I'll trade you even up seeing as how you're bent on destroying a chip, why not make it one nobody will miss.
Old 17th February, 2002, 06:02 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

the shipping costs would be stupid eobard its not worth it really i could just buy a 6x86 for the cost

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 17th February, 2002, 06:11 PM

baggie

I used my Food Saver system (vacuum bag system) worked fine, not sure they had it in mind when they sold me this on tv.......
Old 17th February, 2002, 07:35 PM
eobard

Got any pictures of that? I'd love to see how that looks.
Old 18th February, 2002, 12:13 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I'm a little confused.

What is the point in all this if you are not going to let the water touch the board?
Old 18th February, 2002, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
I'm a little confused.

What is the point in all this if you are not going to let the water touch the board?
To raise your post numbers?

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Adaptec 2940UW
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 18th February, 2002, 04:33 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by nullCRC

To raise your post numbers?
Not entirely. shrink wrap around a system would keep water out but if it was done properly (I'm thinking by cutting away the plastic from the chip top and then sealing the edges of the sink to the plastic in a water tight fashion) could let the heat exchange go on without the water getting in. I'd like to see a shot of such a working system.

***edit: but an extra point can't hurt.
Old 19th February, 2002, 06:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrotechnic

your gonna have fried fish when the voltage hits that water.......
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotechnic
your gonna have fried fish when the voltage hits that water.......
I thought it would be the amperage, not the voltage.

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Adaptec 2940UW
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 19th February, 2002, 06:15 PM

if the water did actually touch the board there would be fireworks, the shrink wrap idea is OK..... but i could get a thinner layer using epoxy, thinned and sprayed as dimmreaper suggested. i will probably test the system without fish to start with just to make sure i dont kill anything but myself

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 20th February, 2002, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

LOL

Whats a post count?? LOL? Hows it going with that anyways>?

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 4th March, 2002, 04:09 AM

This looks like it'll work to me,

Except rather than goldfish, I'd use "Neon Tetras" I'm pretty sure they do well on 12vdc.

Good Luck!

[COLOR=royal blue]2-XP1600+@1.53 ASUS A7M 266-D [/COLOR]----------- ----------- ---------- --------- [COLOR=royal blue]2-1G DURON's @ 1.2 150FSB TYAN S2460 [/COLOR][COLOR=royal blue]1G DURON @ 1.24 AD11 WBK 38[/COLOR]------------ ------------ ------------- [COLOR=royal blue]1.2g AXIA-9 @ 1.4 A7V133 WBK 38[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royal blue]1G AXIA @ 1.4 8KHA+ Millenium Glacator II[/COLOR]--- ---------- ---------- ---------[COLOR=royal blue] DURON 600 @ 1000 8KHA+ WBK38[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royal blue]DURON 600 @ 1100 A7V FOP 32[/COLOR] ........... .......... ........... ........... ........... [COLOR=royal blue]Desk drawer full of other stuff![/COLOR]
Old 4th March, 2002, 09:45 AM

oooh NEON tetras...... given me an idea....... dump some cold cathodes into the mix too! do you think fish are allergic to dyelite?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 9th March, 2002, 02:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Well, I want to jump on this thread. So far I have lying around, a fish tank, a celeron 433 on a slocket, 128 megs ram, a full atx slot-1 mobo, a 4meg vid card, sound + modem, and a 14 in monitor. So basically a whole computer. I want to do somthing cool with this but mobo is to big to stuff in something cool, like a NES, or such, so I keep looking at the fish tank and the computer parts.

Well, how much do you think it would cost for this to work? And oh yea I forgot, I have a TEC laying around that might be fun.

Hmm.. somewhere I have another cooler looking plexi-glass fish tank with a blue light lying around. If I find that, I don't care how, but I'll be forced to water proof that stuff.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 9th March, 2002, 03:07 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by satan
Well, I want to jump on this thread. So far I have lying around, a fish tank, a celeron 433 on a slocket, 128 megs ram, a full atx slot-1 mobo, a 4meg vid card, sound + modem, and a 14 in monitor. So basically a whole computer. I want to do somthing cool with this but mobo is to big to stuff in something cool, like a NES, or such, so I keep looking at the fish tank and the computer parts.

Well, how much do you think it would cost for this to work? And oh yea I forgot, I have a TEC laying around that might be fun.

Hmm.. somewhere I have another cooler looking plexi-glass fish tank with a blue light lying around. If I find that, I don't care how, but I'll be forced to water proof that stuff.
If you, or anyone, is truely intent on trying this submersion nonsense may I suggest you go to your local surplus / fleamarket / whatever place and pay $10 for a complete XT and use that as your test machine. Some of us are still in a position to consider a celeron 433 w/128 ram a viable machine. Don't make me break down and cry now people. If the tests work then you can always go ahead with the celey after.
Old 9th March, 2002, 03:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard

If you, or anyone, is truely intent on trying this submersion nonsense may I suggest you go to your local surplus / fleamarket / whatever place and pay $10 for a complete XT and use that as your test machine. Some of us are still in a position to consider a celeron 433 w/128 ram a viable machine. Don't make me break down and cry now people. If the tests work then you can always go ahead with the celey after.
Yes that is true, I don't really want to lose my celeron 433, about a couple months ago that was my main machine, and about a couple years before that I would have killed for a computer for just half as fast as that.

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Old 9th March, 2002, 06:07 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

Your mobo would fit just fine in my next creation. The idea is simple to the point of absurdity. Nobody has done it, that I know of, though. Very trick, very OC. It'll be a while before I give any details.

Apple is not involved IN ANY WAY, I promise. (I know you guys are getting sick of that.)

Last edited by Azriel; 9th March, 2002 at 06:12 AM.