AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2005, 02:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Sorry if I've missed anything by not reading, but how efficient is it? Will it be better than water cooling?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 03:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

but will it work with actual water? you know H20? and fishies. can't forget the fishies

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 03:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to captaincurran Send a message via MSN to captaincurran Send a message via Yahoo to captaincurran Send a message via Skype™ to captaincurran

....wait... doesn't oil conduct electricity???

Old 19th September, 2005, 09:55 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Generally oil doesn't conduct electricity. In fact, it's a fairly good insulator, which is why many electric supply companies use oil to cool their transformers.
Old 19th September, 2005, 10:44 AM
Steve Jobs

It depends on the tank and setup really. Oil does a far better job of conducting heat than air, and if you used a large heatsink, with wide fins, and plenty of them, and used a low RPM, high torque fan on it, and had an infinitely large vessel of oil, It would not surprise me if it performed better than air.

The thing it would really do is cool the entire motherboard.

As long as that oil was kept moving, it would do magic things. Think about MOSFET cooling.

MOSFETs are not designed to be externally cooled, they sink back into the PCB, and if every single square mm of the mobo and components is in contact with a heat conductor, cooling will be brilliant.

Essentially the entire PCB would be acting as a heat sink for the components mounted on it.

Doing a half arsed oil setup will definately run a machine well, but if you read up on the science behind it, and did some thinking, I see no reason why it would perform worse than water.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th September, 2005, 09:40 PM

but water conducts electricity, right? so what would you guys suggest to protect my mobo from the water? I don't mean the demineralized water either, apparently fishies can't live in that.

Last edited by captaincurran; 19th September, 2005 at 09:42 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 20th September, 2005, 01:49 AM
Steve Jobs

Water does not work like oil does. Water wont work in direct contact. At all.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 04:22 AM

what would u suggest as a sealant that would be mobo and fishy friendly?

Old 20th September, 2005, 04:26 AM
Steve Jobs

Nothing really.

mobos are not designed to be sealed. The northbridge and southbridge needs to be exposed and cooled, the MOSFETs will melt anything you put on it to seal it in. Mobos themselves act as heatsinks to some degree, so sealing it will not work.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th September, 2005, 06:43 PM

north bridge? South bridge? what are they? would putting some sort of container over them and sealing that to the mobo work?

Old 20th September, 2005, 07:15 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
north bridge? South bridge? what are they? would putting some sort of container over them and sealing that to the mobo work?
Take a look:
http://www.hardinfo.dk/art/site/pic/...ck_diagram.jpg
Old 21st September, 2005, 03:20 AM

if i were to put like a little... i don't know one of those bubble thingys from the gum machines that have the little toys in them... well could i take one the bubble things that hold the toy put it over the important chips that i can't put sealant on and seal the bubble thing on to the mobo, would that work?

Sorry if my above paragraph is confusing, i'm not sure what the bubble things are called, nor how to describe them effectively

Old 21st September, 2005, 07:07 AM
Steve Jobs

These components that you are trying to cool put out massive heat. Putting a plastic cup around something that runs at 90C when it is NOT confined in a tight space is insane. Anything plastic you cover it with will melt.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 21st September, 2005, 07:09 AM

how about a glass shot glass?

Old 22nd September, 2005, 05:40 AM
Steve Jobs

The components would overheat and fail. They need to be cooled.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 22nd September, 2005, 08:15 PM

hmmm... how would i be able to cool them while still being able to keep them from the water?

Old 22nd September, 2005, 09:31 PM
AOA Staff

You could seal them up with a heatsink which has a water tight seal around it. The metal would be in contact with the water on one side and in contact with the chip on the other.

You should see Gizmo's direct die cooling which puts water in direct contact with the CPU die.
Old 23rd September, 2005, 12:57 AM

where would i find Gizmo's direct die cooling?

Old 23rd September, 2005, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurran
where would i find Gizmo's direct die cooling?
In his signature.
Old 25th September, 2005, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Somebody stop me, jesus. I'm gonna take the plunge and try it out. I've got an old fishtank that hasn't been used for years. I think it's a 10 gallon. I've got an old P3 system to test it in. And I can probably get a bunch of brake fluid for relativly cheap, no? Is there anything I should look out for or should i just put the pc in, pour the oil in, and go?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1