AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th December, 2004, 06:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ELRocco Send a message via AIM to ELRocco Send a message via MSN to ELRocco Send a message via Yahoo to ELRocco

intel mobo o/c

hi im new here i plan on staying and i just wanted to know is there a way to o/c a intel mobo its a intel d845ebg2
tobitsi dvd-rom, cyberhome dvd-rw dl 16x16x4
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2004, 04:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Intel doesn't want you overclocking their mobos, so they generally make no provisions for doing so, at least not in the BIOS.

That being said, you might try using CPUMSR.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th December, 2004, 05:41 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

CPUMSR...
hmmm.. I looked in AOAfiles, and couldn't find it.
Old 16th December, 2004, 07:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ya, I had the same problem. I need to see about finding it.
Old 16th December, 2004, 08:22 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't think cpumsr has overclocking functions does it? the version i last used has multiplyer and voltage options and can turn processor functions on and off but no fsb control, you would need cpufsb for this

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th December, 2004, 02:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ELRocco Send a message via AIM to ELRocco Send a message via MSN to ELRocco Send a message via Yahoo to ELRocco

i tried cpu fsb and it freeze my system but i think i saw somewhere that there is a replacement bios you can get
Old 19th December, 2004, 05:28 AM

hello can any of you help me
Old 19th December, 2004, 06:16 AM

upgrade your mb, that mb you have is not very overclockable sorry m8 the northbridge of that mb does not tolerate any more that the specific recommendations or the bios for that fact.
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 19th December, 2004, 08:11 AM

Intel motherboards are known for stability, not overclocking features. You'll definately want to upgrade in order to do so.
Old 19th December, 2004, 08:15 AM

yep i totally agree logan
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 19th December, 2004, 11:09 AM

ok i was just checking i was looking at this cpu+mobo deal this would o/c good right http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5942&CatId=191
Old 19th December, 2004, 02:03 PM
Member/Contributer

That cpu wouldnt be great for overclocking as it seems its a northwood and they only reach around 3.2ghz. what you want isa prescott.
If your budget is limited then go for a celeron d 320, they aren't great at stock (2.4ghz 256k L2) but they overclock to around 3.6ghz at which point they perform on par with a 3.2ghz p4, sometimes better.

You also will want to upgrade your ram, as you're either on sdr ram or only ddr 200/266 , so you will want to add a 512mb ddr400 dual channel kit to that

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th December, 2004, 08:42 PM

i have 1 stick 256mb kingston value ram pc2100 ,
and i have a stick of kingston value ram 512 mb pc2300
Old 19th December, 2004, 08:51 PM

ok ive been thinking and maybe ill go to the dark dise with this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...850&CatId=1231

Last edited by ELRocco; 19th December, 2004 at 08:51 PM. Reason: it had a broken link
Old 19th December, 2004, 10:22 PM
Member/Contributer

that would certainly be an upgrade from what you currently have but I'm not a fan of the xp range, the 2500 isn't bad for the price but you will see much better results from a celeron d and it would be cheaper as well

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 01:33 AM

so go with the celeron d and a good overclocking mobo
Old 20th December, 2004, 02:52 AM
Member/Contributer

that would definately be my advice

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 03:06 AM

i want to get a soyo mobo is that a good overclocker
Old 20th December, 2004, 03:20 AM
Member/Contributer

not sure about soyo's but I've heard good things about the Gigabyte 8IK1100, they're only $62.00 on newegg and they're i875 based

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 04:43 AM

oh i forgot about chipsets im gonna go with an intel chipset and i also heard that the DFI Lanparty mobo's are really good so i thought i might get this http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...136-148&depa=0

Last edited by ELRocco; 20th December, 2004 at 04:43 AM. Reason: broke link