AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2005, 07:49 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

2GB in a laptop! MEMORY GALORE!

Quote:
Infineon intros 2 GByte notebook memory, hints to 1 GByte graphic cards

Quote:
The 2 GByte DDR2 dual-die SO-DIMM target high-end notebooks and is manufactured with 18 dual-die 2 Gbit DDR2 components. The result is a 1.8 volt part with a density of 2 GByte and a thickness of 3.8 mm at the standard 30 mm height, Infineon said. The basic principle of dual-die memory is based on the concept of stacking two identical dies within one BGA package.

something tells me they have MBper IC issues...i wonder if they will use the CSP package?

also released...

Quote:
The company also launched new memory for performance graphics cards. The 512Mbit GDDR3 chips are built in a 16Mbit x 32 structure and are clocked 800MHz, enabling data bandwidths of up to 51.2 Gbit per second and memory. The devices allow graphics card manufacturer to build their products with frame buffer sizes of 512 MByte or even 1 GByte (256 MByte in notebooks), according to Infineon. Volume production of the memory is scheduled for the second half of this year.

Now, it seems that Samsung, Infineon (who now has Winbond's mem IC fabs), are about to do battle...and seeing how much "UTT" ram Infineon has dumped on the market, and the curent price of ram(less than $9 US per stick when bought in bulk), the predictions of earlier months of a major fall in prices seems really evident.

Some major memory relabellers are releasing some very fast memory as of late, based on the aforementioned "UTT" ram. What gets even more interesting is that as more of it hits the market, the more "value" sticks are hitting the market as well. This flood of parts that have failed "speed binning" at these relabellers is a major reason for the drops in price, but is there more to the story?

seems i bought some of these "UTT" sticks a while ago, not knowing what they were, of the value variety. when i first got them, they would do no more than 229mhz 2.5-4-3-8....any higher at any settings would not boot, no matter the voltage. Now, i can get 2-2-2-5 @ 250mhz...3.2v(with vtt not tracking..should be 1/2 vDIMM, but is only 1.42 @ 3.2v, until i can do a mod to the board). Anyway, it seems i have found out what these relabellers are doing to these sticks to get them fast...20mhz more than they would boot at... at way tighter timings...and error-free....IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS.
At default voltages(2.6v), i am running 217mhz 2-3-2-5(as i have been for a while, but before @ 2.8v). Did I mention these were value sticks?

For those of you concerned over what seems to be a "high" amount of voltage...don't be. These relabeller's are warrantying these same sticks for 3.2v and 3.3v...lifetime warranties. I've done a ton of research, and NOW, finally know what the real story on these sticks are...

...they're dirt cheap. With DFI offering 4v for vDIMM, and a Sapphire board, soon to be released, offering the same, and a huge market out there screaming for higher FSB's for thier A64's...someone was bound to find a way to capture the money just waiting to be had.

Think about this though...$10 US, we will say, for simplicity, per 512mb stick of 5ns RAM IC's, on a BrainPower PCB. These sticks are being sold @ upwards of $260 US...warrantied for life to operate @ 3.3v 2-2-2-5 DDR400 to DDR500. That's a 1300% mark-up! But it's also alot of handtesting and man-hours. The "value" versions, however, can be found for $50 US, if you know how to look. I have directed a few people in this direction on other forums, and only 1 of 3 was able to get the same speeds as i have...but the other two pairs, in my hands, work just as well as my first pair. $50 US a stick!

But what does this mean? Alot, if you look at it the way I do. The demand for DDR600 and higher is out there...watching the stock at stores i've seen no less than 1000 pairs of DDR600 be sold, by various manufacturer's. This equates to $300,000 US, in less than a month. This also means that any "Average Joe", given enough computers, and time, and money, can be releasing a high-speed ram, labelled in thier own pattern. Or us overclockers have found the new focus of our overclocking...DDR ram. But is it here to stay?
Old 7th April, 2005, 09:33 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Er, my current laptop has 1.5GB of RAM in it, and it's an old IBM T30. We couldn't get the bean counters to agree to 2GB back when the machines were upgraded from 512MB RAM.
Old 7th April, 2005, 03:52 PM

yes, but that is probably in multiple modules...these 2gb sticks are one module, with stacked chips.
Old 7th April, 2005, 05:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Only problem is, standard Windows XP can only handle 3GB of RAM (even then, you have to modify the boot ini to support more than 2GB of RAM), unless the motherboard supports the PAE. If you do end up using PAE, page switching kills performance. Would be good for 64bit laptops though.
Old 7th April, 2005, 05:24 PM

yes, and with Win64 on the way shortly, this poses good for those who use laptops for video rendering, etc...
Old 21st April, 2005, 05:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

This laptop could be used as a server laptop which would be one-of-a-kind. IT would also be the ultimate gaming laptop. And to think, i've only got 256Mb in this one. As it is on one module using stacked chips, there will obviously be the space factor which they will have to account for in some way, it may not be much space but it only takes a bit less space and a 'undesired' connection and you've lost the lot. Of course, it is probably protected in some way.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!