AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st April, 2005, 03:21 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Exclamation Journey To The Bad Place

I have overclocked a number of machines that I have built over the years and all of them without exception have done rather well......until this january, my last project was to take a Duron 1800 and see how fast one could go if enough juice was given to it, I managed with an NF7-S to get it upto 2400mhz which is not bad to be honest .
I now have this rig(see sig), and to be honest I wish I hadnt bothered, the Duron running at 2400mhz was quick,the lack of on-die cache made naff all difference except to encoding which I do once a year tops and I have decided that only being able to get my current chip upto 2380mhz sucks, its not noticably faster or meaner just more expensive, the memory controller with two slots on the board sucks, the onboard sound sucks, and the raid controller has a mind of its own just adding to my woe.
Im not a bitter person but I want more....more speed, more noise, more heat...I want to make this pc soil itself every time I turn it on as it relaxes its electronic bowels in awe and fear of its own power, I've had enough, I'm gonna put more volts, more fans and more unnecessary gimmicky junk inside my pc, im gonna push it to the point where the real world starts to tear and intermingle with the world of fantasy and dragons, and when I push it too far I'm going to sit back, light up a cigar, pour a glass of my favourite tipple and chuckle manically to myself.
PEOPLE, I WANT TO MAKE MY MACHINE HOT, FAST AND AS MUCH OF A FIRE HAZARD AS POSSIBLE AND I WANT YOU TO HELP!.

I want to know ways to overclock my pc that only people who like the smell of melting copper track would try,
I want my Graphics card to hum with energy,
I want my Case to rattle with the power of a thousand spinning blades.

Please post any crazy last ditch overclocking hints and tips below.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 21st April, 2005 at 05:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2005, 04:27 PM

For this you will need a welding torch, a tub of cool whip, and a blow up doll.

When you have gathered these necessary parts, let me know and I will instruct you on what to do next.
Old 21st April, 2005, 05:26 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

ill get to it right away.....do i get any clues?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2005, 05:44 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

get a soldering iron and do the vdimm/vtt mod. if you need details, LMK, and i'll redo my mod and post some pics for ya.

get a 10ohm fixed resistor, and a 200ohm variable for the vdimm mod(actually VTT, becasue vdimm is selectable to 3.2v, if you work for it a bit).VTT should =.5 vDIMM, but only gets 1.45 @ 3.2v.

get a cooler than has it's own mounting bracket, and pop the top off of your cpu.

to get higher than 2.8v vDIMM, flash to bios version 10(select 3.2v in bios), then flash to 16(making sure that the clear CMOS mark is not there), and then to 19, or 21, to ensure you don't get the temp bug. flashing any other way will boost temps anywhere from 5-25c above actual readings.(this is using abit's flashmenu from windows)

bios version 19 works best for me...some others have better luck with the 16...but i think they are a bit delusional.
Old 22nd April, 2005, 03:53 PM

How easy is the volt mod to perform? my soldering is not that amazing

AOA Team fah
Old 25th April, 2005, 01:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

To floor the accelerator, liquid cooling seems mandatory. Which leads one to ask if a better CPU isn't cheaper--not to mention easier.
Old 25th April, 2005, 01:35 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

the mobo vdimm(really VTT) mod is not easy..you have to remove a component, replace it with a fixed resistor and then a variable resistor. mine is very messy. LoL.

*not my pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Journey To The Bad Place-jobdonevmod.jpg