AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2005, 03:02 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Power supplies together.

I have been having trouble overclocking my cpu, it runs absolutely stable when performing super--pi and prime95 but when anything 3d comes into view it freezes. Aquamark wont go past the menu, 3dmark03 is only good to 2350mhz and 3dmark 05 just curls up and dies.
I think it is more than likely a power issue:

PSU SPECS:

SUPERFLOWER 430W
+3.3V -22A
+5V -40A
+12V -20A
-12V -0.8A
-5V -0.5A
-5VSB -2.0A

Geforce 6800(agp) 400/900
Athlon64 venice @ 2300mhz-2750mhz(zone of stabliilty when not performing graphics intensive applications)

1) Would I be right in thinking it is likely a power problem?
2) As a temporary measure could I use an AT PSU to power my fans and hard drives etc to remove some of the load(would it make a significant difference?),
3) Could I use an AT PSU(I have a good selection) to power my graphics card asssuming I connected the grounds together to stop power leaking between the supplies

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2005, 03:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It certainly sounds like your video card is unstable. I'm guessing that you have the video card overclocked? If you back off to stock, does it become stable again?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2005, 03:34 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

It runs fine without the cpu overclocked, but when the cpu is put above about 2300mhz anything graphics related wont play, when the graphics are at stock clock speeds the problem still occurs.
I am maybe thinking that by raising the voltage by about 18%(1.4-1.65) and increasing the core frequency of the cpu by 25-50% It may be drawing too much current for the PSU to be able to supply the gpu fully, however aquamark crashes in the opening menu which as far as I can tell uses no 3D rendering.
If the cpu didnt run super-pi etc perfectly at upto 2700mhz+ then I would assume that 2.3gz was the limit for my cpu, if it was though it would even boot at 2.7ghz let alone run a cpu intensive algorithm.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2005, 03:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try running the CPUBURN utility. It will put the cpu under tremenous stress.
Old 18th August, 2005, 04:18 PM

That got it warm lol , 1st pic is after running cpu burn at 2.6ghz for 4/5 mins, temps returned to 43c after about 10 seconds of exiting cpu burn, the second picture is also at 2.6ghz having ran the cpuburn again for a couple of mins to get it upto 63c and then immediately running a 1M superpi, voltages remained constant throughout and the cpu was the only thing that showed a noticable gain in temperature(around 19c increase with cpu burn).
This sort of burn in software would indicate that the cpu itself is stable would it not? (I am guessing all the cpu burn is designed to do is bring up a black window and max out your cpu usage? cus thats what it did, I used the k7 test and the temperature rise indicated it works to the same effect on the a64's), this leads me to conclude that as it is only have ANY instability when running aquamark,3dmark or a 3d based engine that it is a power related issue, would you agree?
Attached Thumbnails
Power supplies together.-burn.jpg   Power supplies together.-pitest.jpg  

AOA Team fah

Last edited by MONKEYMAN; 19th August, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 18th August, 2005, 04:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Seems like a reasonable assumption. However, AT PSUs don't have a remote power on option. You would need another ATX PSU that you could tie in.
Old 18th August, 2005, 04:48 PM

I should be alright with an AT psu, I turn my computer on at the wall, ive set it to power on straight away without having to press the front button so they would come on at the same time. is there any way to estimate how much power the cpu draws at stock and overclocked?

AOA Team fah
Old 18th August, 2005, 04:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you check AMD's web site, they should give a formula in one of their tech papers that relates voltage and speed to power disippation for the A64. There are come calculators on the web that work pretty well for the AthlonXPs, but I don't know if there is one for the A64 or not.
Old 19th August, 2005, 09:23 AM

Ive had a look and found nothing that related to equating overclocked power consumption, some sites have done testing on their own chips and it seems that an athlon 64 uses very little power anyway.
If the cpu is only using a little power how come I can only perform cpu intensive benchmarks at high speed and nothing else?

AOA Team fah