AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2005, 03:36 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
Too be truthful, the only thing Intel I would touch currently is Dothan

Clock for clock, will beat an A64 in many upon many of 32bit apps, and the huge 2mb cache

Now if they could just add 64bit extensions, its own motherboard line
that way you dont have to use 915 or 865 boards.
They have. Yonah.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2005, 04:14 PM

Omg, I completely forgot about Yonah
Old 11th December, 2005, 10:34 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Yonah is the replacement for the Dothan, its where intel is heading as the P4/Netburst arch is having one last huzzah and then its being canned.
Quad core is a comming to. and as for 'M2' its adding ddr2 to the amd platform, somthing thats been with intel for quite sometime and there is alot of glitches to iron out. Much like the 90nm process promised alot and has eventually got there, 65nm seems to be hitting the ground running.

From an early sample ... http://images.tomshardware.com/2005/...e/image059.gif

Thats total system power not just cpu, so cant really be compared to the following. (Early Yonah sample)
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/y...1143/10080.png

The yonah showed in there tests that it has the ooopmh to be faster than an x2 4200 at times, considering its a 2Ghz mobile part aint bad

Last edited by keithwalton; 11th December, 2005 at 10:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Actually, under load, it adds quite a bit of heat. My main rig folds 24/7. With one core running it is currently at 57c. If I run a second instance of FAH, it will go up to about 63-64c. I'm not sure if that meets the def of a lot or not.
QMD's? Dual QMD's will heat up a processor about as much as dual prime unlike some other wu's. I skipped all the Prescott processors until the NO revision was common so I am not sure about other revisions. The Northwoood and Prescott NO's that I have used heat up more with dual folding over single folding but not as much as what you are showing, maybe 3C difference. That could also be a difference in cooling systems as my systems are cooled either with XP90C or water.

Quote:
BTW, to everyone else, let's chill on what sux and what does not...Each core has it's benefits and weaknesses. It isn't the CPU that sux, but the person who bought the wrong one for his needs that sux.
Right on!

I use both A64 and Intel P4 and I like them all though I tend to get ticked with the quirkiness of NForce though.
Old 11th December, 2005, 11:49 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

If this is a sign of whats to come i'm liking this, http://www.matbe.com/actualites/1198...on-cedar-mill/
5GHz out of a 3.3GHz celeron, enough for it to out pi a 3GHz amd fx overclocked chip. I bet that folds well
Old 12th December, 2005, 03:20 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

@S_Wilson,
Yup, I have a D0, and it's only folding QMDs. Oddly, last summer, I noticed that 1 core folds exactly twice as fast as 2 cores, thereby negating any HT benefit. At the same time, running the 1 core gives me the same output but with reduced heat and CPU usage. I use an SLK948 w/ 9cm fan @4K RPM... not the best but I suspect pretty good air cooling.
Old 12th December, 2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
@S_Wilson,
Yup, I have a D0, and it's only folding QMDs. Oddly, last summer, I noticed that 1 core folds exactly twice as fast as 2 cores, thereby negating any HT benefit. At the same time, running the 1 core gives me the same output but with reduced heat and CPU usage. I use an SLK948 w/ 9cm fan @4K RPM... not the best but I suspect pretty good air cooling.
I read about this elsewhere and believe it is probably true based on my own experience. QMD's appear to be bandwidth dependent and can be starved of bandwidth. Example, I have a Northwood that folds one instance at 15 min/frame but if I add a second instance then both go to exactly double so there is no benefit. On my 640@4.25 with DDR2, one instance folds around 13 min/frame approx but adding a second instance both fold at 18 min/frame, so there is a pretty good increase. Aside from clockrate the biggest difference between the two is memory bandwidth which the 640 system provides considerably more.