AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 8th March, 2006, 03:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via MSN to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via Skype™ to Edu_AnGrA

WOW!!! Really nice!!!

I'm very, very happy!!!
eVGA GF 6800GS@Ultra Extreme + Coolermod @16/6 @450/1100 MHz
TT Volcano 12+ & PurePower 480W
Seagate 120GB SATA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2006, 06:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

man, this is tempting, i just dont want to fry my card if i screw up.
Old 8th March, 2006, 08:58 PM

Would this be possible on a Geforce 6800LE with all pipes functioning correctly? Would it be worthwhile for the gains?
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th March, 2006, 09:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via MSN to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via Skype™ to Edu_AnGrA

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmyarse
Would this be possible on a Geforce 6800LE with all pipes functioning correctly? Would it be worthwhile for the gains?
It is possible. But you need to know if the pipes are perfect. If they are, you can enable then via softmod ou biosmod, just like I've posted.

The gains gonna be pretty amount because the extras pipes. BUT, 6800LE use DDR1 memories that probally have 2.8ns (or +- 700 MHz). 2.8ns memos can reach maximum 810-830 MHz (and with some hard work)!!!

So, you'll gain some pretty well performance, but you'll need to run in maximum core/memos MHz to push pipes ahead.
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 11th March, 2006, 07:29 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Can you do any of this cool stuff with older cards lol.

Anyway very nice work I see, glad you made the frontpage mate, errr i'd put a thumbs up emoticon but I can't see them heh heh.
Old 11th March, 2006, 01:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

OMFG! this is one great guide! and the pic of your mod are sweet! Nice work!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 24th March, 2006, 12:42 AM

Lightbulb Test your gfx cooling to the max!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone, 1st post so go easy.
been looking at the site and this link might help you check the temps on your GFX cards, its an intensive gfx program you can run in windows and monitor GFX temps (with usual temp monitor program) you can see just how good your cooling solution is ....
this is the program ....[URL="rthdribl"] .....= DX9 Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting.
it might just shock you how hot things get and i hope its of use to you all find http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/
Old 24th March, 2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmyarseIt is possible. But you need to know if the pipes are perfect. If they are, you can enable then via softmod ou biosmod, just like I've posted.

The gains gonna be pretty amount because the extras pipes. BUT, 6800LE use DDR1 memories that probally have 2.8ns (or +- 700 MHz). 2.8ns memos can reach maximum 810-830 MHz (and with some hard work)!!!

So, you'll gain some pretty well performance, but you'll need to run in maximum core/memos MHz to push pipes ahead.
-> Fix: you can enable then via softmod (OR biosmod), just like I've posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic
Hello everyone, 1st post so go easy.
been looking at the site and this link might help you check the temps on your GFX cards, its an intensive gfx program you can run in windows and monitor GFX temps (with usual temp monitor program) you can see just how good your cooling solution is ....
this is the program ....[URL="rthdribl"] .....= DX9 Real-Time High-Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting.
it might just shock you how hot things get and i hope its of use to you all find http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/
Thanks Chesso and skool_h8r. Very nice program chronic! But, did you look at the date? "Ver.1.2 - August 3rd, 2003". I think it is might...late...and probally will do some uggly bugs in newers card.
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 25th March, 2006, 12:12 AM

Smile rthdribl version 2003

Hey it works for me if i want to check my temps with 6800 gs AGP,But i do agree 2003 is dated, i know a few peeps who use this prog and nobody has reported problems that i know of .It is the best thing i have seen yet for checking temps in real time.
Did you find it ok yourself?
PS:we are talking about 6800gs cards of which i have just purchased and unlocked......yey.... BFG £134 and o/c 16/6 420/1.12 MHz
stock cooler temps avg 74c deg with this prog, during css game play 58c deg (ambient temp 28c deg ish ) 52 C idle

Last edited by chronic; 25th March, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 25th March, 2006, 12:39 AM

I'll test this prog better!!

My card is 60°C in idle and +- 70° in full load. This week, I've bought a Volcano 10+ to adapt in my card. Hope monday it comes to my house, then I'll adapt and will post more pics for you guys!

Pay attention in your temps...6800GS tends to get hot!!!
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 25th March, 2006, 12:51 AM

whats your temps with this prog running for 15 mins or so?
I wish the British climate was the same as Brasil .......lol

Last edited by chronic; 25th March, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 25th March, 2006, 11:05 AM

I bought the elder scrolls Oblivion yesterday. I must say that I've never seen any application that stresses a videocard higher. I really need to do something about cooling on the card as I'm very surprised it didn't get busted when I looked at the temperatures after playing. I read 95°C

When I play Trackmania Nations the temps don't go above 73°C. When playing F.E.A.R. they don't exceed 82°C. To think I was already worried when reading that temperature!

I'm using this card
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...11763&PageId=1

I normally have it clocked at 400/1200 as that is the Gainward "guaranteed" overclock. That will artifact in many games. The weird thing is that the card didn't artifact at 360/1100 at the 95°C.

Any suggestions Edu?

What I am going to try in the near future is to remove the heatsinks and apply some AS5. If that doesn't work I'd better get myself a waterblock

Oh and congrats on the 3500th view of this thread
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 26th March, 2006, 12:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

This is a very interesting mod, I may just get a 6800GS to upgrade my 9800 Pro (after I get my car sound system).

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 26th March, 2006, 02:07 AM

Great work on this. Very impressive and helpful.

I do have a quick question:

Quote:
I've just modified the Core and Memory clocks to 450/1100 MHz
The core timing is pretty obvious. However, the memory timing seems less obvious.

Do you mean this

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8224d69c5f.jpg

Note the 550 Mhz I entered and the 1100 Mhz DDR

or this?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f541204f11.jpg

Note the 11000 Mhz I entered and the 2200 Mhz DDR

This second picture seems a tad high. I'm assuming the first one for now.

Thanks!
Old 26th March, 2006, 02:10 AM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

TenaciousT welcome to the forums!

I am pretty sure it is the first option, resulting in 1100Mhz DDR

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 26th March, 2006, 04:42 AM

It's official, YOU can screw this up!

Ok, I admit I screwed things up. However, I also fixed it.

The problem: I'm an idiot.

The other problem: Not reading the freaking directions all the way through.

In a nutshell I created the new bios as instructed. I copied all the same settings. I created a boot CD (I don't have a floppy and CDs usually work fine) and flashed the card.

Everything is trucking along fine. It erased the old bios and started copying the new one. After a second an "end of buffer" message pops up. uh-oh....

Well, I was kind of in a rush (bad idea) so i figure "maybe that means it's done" and I hit the restart switch and the computer reboots. Note: the directions stated it would go back to the prompt. I probably could have hit CTRL+C and retried the flash.

As the first 30 seconds of blank screen tick by I begin to realize the enormity of my mistake. A deep panic set in as I consider the $200 paperweight that's now "powering" the inky black depths of my monitor.

THIS is where the boot CD problem sets in. If I had a boot floppy it wouldn't have been a problem to just reboot the machine and type in the command (which I so smartly wrote down) to reflash to the old bios. Do I have one of those. No. I have to screw around with boot CD menus which I can't see now.

I yelled a rather loud word that rhymes with duck or muck...

So I yank the card out of my machine and drive to work (it's only 3 miles). There I make a boot floppy and I edit the autoexec.bat file to contain the line

nvflash -4 -5 -6 biosback.rom

so that I don't have to screw around with menus I can't see.

I'm thinking, problem solved right?

WRONG!

I swap cards in the machine and power it up.

wait... wait... wait....

The damn thing isn't passing a post! I guess I mucked up the bios so badly that the machine couldn't recognize it as a valid card. Oh I'm super annoyed with myself now.

Fortunately I had read somewhere on this forum the words "hope you have a PCI card around in case you screw up." In my case I was lucky and I did, a winfast S3 Virge/DX thingy. I figure it's got a whopping 8megs? Man I've never been so happy about PCI in my life.

Anyway, I throw that in. The machine fires up and I flash the bios. Fingers crossed I take out the PCI card and start it up.

IT WORKED!

I restarted, tried the biosmod again and this time it finished like it was supposed to. I'm uncertain of why it failed on my home machine, but I'm glad it works now.

Lessons learned:

1) Use a FLOPPY

2) Have a PCI card to back you up

3) Read the directions all the way through.

Thankyou and goodnight.
Old 4th April, 2006, 01:35 PM

Sry for late,

Wolf...WOW, you card really get hot! My 6800GS modded to Ultra Extreme with 1.4Vcore was showing 60~62°C idle and some 67~75°C under full load. I don't like hot temps, and I bought a TT Volcano 10+ Slim to adapt in my card. The adaptation was a complete sucess! Now the card have 44~46°C idle and 50-55°C full. I pretty nice reduction, don't you guys think? Much better then Zalman VF700Cu (or similars) and MUCH cheaper solution!!!

Tenacioust,

Obvious that 1100 MHz in memory means 550 MHz-DDR (because our card use GDDR3 memory, so...you always need to calculate with DDR standards).

And, yeah...use a floppy disk next time. Thats why I've done a guide with floppy boot disk not a cd-rom boot disk.

=D
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 11th April, 2006, 05:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to DJAngelicon Send a message via MSN to DJAngelicon Send a message via Yahoo to DJAngelicon

Hi there,

I found this site looking for a softmod for a 6800GS which is coming tomorrow. I order this card here; http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1782292 and I was wondering if anyone have tried it with this video card yet?

I might try it but not sure if I would do the entire mod since I want my card to be under warraty in case I have to send it in. However, I have tried mods like this before on other cards and I have been successful it just that this time is the first time I am actually going to mess around with a 6800GS card.

So, any advice or tip that anyone can give me before starting this would be great. As far as the fan go that mod is great foor a cooling solution. I heard the 6800GS can get pretty darn hot on its own. Anyone know what is the stock temp range on a 6800GS by any chance?
Old 16th April, 2006, 03:40 PM

I got the EVGA 6800GS OC edition (400mhz core) AGP - My card was running @ 60*C ish stock idle and 70*Cish under full load. My card is at 16/6 - no problems

I got an NV silencer 3 rev 5 on my card, knocked off about 10*C off idle and 12* off full load. got the card going at 450core and 1200 ram with 1.4 vols and 53*C idle and 58* load. I used artic silver 5 on the core and ram chips for added cooling.

Running this on an Athlon Xp-M 2500+ @ 2.4ghz with 2gb ram and an ABit NF7-S rev1.2

Hey Edu_AnGra post the mode pictures, how did you get the volcano 10+ slim to fit/stay on there?
Old 9th May, 2006, 06:29 PM

got a problem with it, just get a new Palit 6800 GS 512 mb but look :
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6...vatuner6fc.jpg
where are the O/C options :/ ?

Tags
6800gs , mods