AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25th June, 2006, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Definitely a good idea. Did you find the threads with the volt modding guides?
No I didn't, but that is ok, I don't want to do any hardware mods while I am still under warranty. eVGA has loose rules for warranty, but they still frown on modding the circuit board.
Old 25th June, 2006, 10:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Its not an actual mod to the board as such. What you do is find a certain surface mount resistor. You lower the resistance of that resistor, while measuring, to get the desired volt mod.

To lower that resistance, you <could> use a soldered in variable resistor, but the best way, is to just use a 2B pencil, since its very mildly conductive. When done with it, you simply wipe the pencil trace off the top.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Its not an actual mod to the board as such. What you do is find a certain surface mount resistor. You lower the resistance of that resistor, while measuring, to get the desired volt mod.

To lower that resistance, you <could> use a soldered in variable resistor, but the best way, is to just use a 2B pencil, since its very mildly conductive. When done with it, you simply wipe the pencil trace off the top.
Do you know where I can find a guide to do the pencil mod?
Old 26th June, 2006, 10:34 AM
Steve Jobs

Bios Vmod for 6800

Thats the previous thread on volt modding, with pictures for the pencil mod.

If you really do something serious with the cooling, and that mod, expect over 500Mhz on water cooling, and in some cases over 600Mhz. It really makes an absolutely massive difference, but that is with a very high volt mod and water.

A minor volt mod, running with stock, or good air cooling, will get you a nice little bump. I would advise doing something with your cooling first though.

1: You could try removing the stock heatsink, removing the thermal paste, and using a quality layer of arctic silver 5 to improve thermal conductivity.

2: You could lap and polish your stock HSF

3: You could try this coolermod (on the first page of this thread)

4: You could try a zalman cooler, as the NVsilencers are not the /best/ coolers anymore.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th June, 2006, 04:23 PM
Breakout Champion

I am having an interesting issue with my 6800le....i currently have it clocked 420/820, which it takes just fine, it will probably go much higher, but now, whenever i restart my computer, the memory reverts back to stock speeds, the core speed stays the same, just the memory changes, any idea why this is happening?
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 26th June, 2006, 05:10 PM
Steve Jobs

What program are you using to set your overclock speeds?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 26th June, 2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Bios Vmod for 6800

Thats the previous thread on volt modding, with pictures for the pencil mod.

If you really do something serious with the cooling, and that mod, expect over 500Mhz on water cooling, and in some cases over 600Mhz. It really makes an absolutely massive difference, but that is with a very high volt mod and water.

A minor volt mod, running with stock, or good air cooling, will get you a nice little bump. I would advise doing something with your cooling first though.

1: You could try removing the stock heatsink, removing the thermal paste, and using a quality layer of arctic silver 5 to improve thermal conductivity.

2: You could lap and polish your stock HSF

3: You could try this coolermod (on the first page of this thread)

4: You could try a zalman cooler, as the NVsilencers are not the /best/ coolers anymore.
I already have a NV silencer on the card with AS5, it doesn't go above 62c load and the AS5 hasn't even totally cured yet. Thanks for the link, I'll try it sometime soon.
Old 26th June, 2006, 06:48 PM
Breakout Champion

I am using the Winfast Speedrunner software that comes with the card, it works best i think, but after i set the clocks, i go into the regular "classic" control panel, make sure it reads the same speeds, then i click the box that says "set these speeds at startup", it gives me the OK, and everything is fine from there, until i restart, then the memory speed reverts. I am totally confused on this one. I have tried setting the clocks with the regular CP, but when i try it, it hardly lets me raise it at all, and it says the speeds fail the test, even though when i set it with winfast, the card runs just fine at the faster speeds, i dont get it.
Ubuntu

Old 26th June, 2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
I am using the Winfast Speedrunner software that comes with the card, it works best i think, but after i set the clocks, i go into the regular "classic" control panel, make sure it reads the same speeds, then i click the box that says "set these speeds at startup", it gives me the OK, and everything is fine from there, until i restart, then the memory speed reverts. I am totally confused on this one. I have tried setting the clocks with the regular CP, but when i try it, it hardly lets me raise it at all, and it says the speeds fail the test, even though when i set it with winfast, the card runs just fine at the faster speeds, i dont get it.
You should use either Coolbits 2 or Rivatuner, they work the best.
Old 26th June, 2006, 07:43 PM
Breakout Champion

I have solved the problem. All i had to do was set the 2D memory setting the same as the 3D, and it keeps all the settings the same after a restart. As of now i actually have the card clocked at 425/850 and i am pretty sure i can push it even further, as i am not getting any artifacts at all, and my temps still max out around 65-68. Later on i am gonna try pushing it a little more and really see what this card will do, i love this Leadtek. As far as OC software, i have tried them all, and for my card, the Winfast Speedrunner software works better than anything, and has allowed me much higher clocks than any other software.
Ubuntu

Last edited by NarkotikBuzz; 26th June, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 30th June, 2006, 05:10 PM

Diablotel AGP 6800GS problem

Hi, all

I own Diablotek 6800GS 512, purchased from geeks.com.

This card from the beginning started giving some errors, its artfiacts on boot screen and after windows load flashing of lcd every 1sec. It might be factory faulty card, but its not happening in safe mode. After drivers load its beginning to happen. In the before bios Shows nvidia 6800GTS. (GTS???)

And in the bios editor it not says any manufacturer info and GPU info. ONLY SAYS 6800GS(BR02)

So i think our friends, chinese masters did some stupid bios mistake in this card. I can proceed RMA but before RMA i want to play little bit. So anyone have a same card and any similar problems?. If some one have a proper bios could post here for experiments?. Any advice and any directions in this problem?
Thanks guys.

I'll post asap some screen shoot related to this card. Sorry for bad english

=== The following is an automatically generated message ===

This is mbataka's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please drop by the Welcome thread and give mbataka a warm AOA welcome there.

Last edited by Gizmo; 30th June, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 30th June, 2006, 05:54 PM
Steve Jobs

When you uninstall your drivers, does it change / improve anything?

Also, starting in safe mode, does that make any changes?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th June, 2006, 07:15 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting my eVGA 6800gs agp passed 415/1150.
Old 30th June, 2006, 07:19 PM
Steve Jobs

Are you using the 91.33 drivers? They seam to overclock better than previous versions.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th June, 2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Are you using the 91.33 drivers? They seam to overclock better than previous versions.
I'm still using 84.21, I haven't tried 91.33, because I seem to have trouble with anything but the 84.21. This card is very moody.
Old 1st July, 2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:
When you uninstall your drivers, does it change / improve anything?

Also, starting in safe mode, does that make any changes?
After uninstalling, same in the bios post, but in the windows everything fine.

In safe mode its mean not loading the drivers. then its fine. But without drivers its nouse right. i tryed almost every driver, all the same. In the bios edit it says: Core: 425MHZ Memory: 500MHZ , so i'm doubting its a NV42 Chip.
Old 1st July, 2006, 08:30 AM
Steve Jobs

What drivers were you using before you unistalled them mbataka?

And deadman, I would try the 91.33s, they're quite good. Grab the TRU modified ones while you're at it. They do seam to let you overclock a bit higher (91.33s in general)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 1st July, 2006, 11:57 AM
Breakout Champion

Dsio, i think you mean the 91.31's.....we just got the 91.33's yesterday, and there is not TRU modified version of them yet. I tried the new 91.33's and had a ton of problems, and they are BETA drivers. Please just try the 91.31 Xtreme-G modified drivers, they work very well, and overclock great.
Ubuntu

Old 1st July, 2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkotikBuzz
Dsio, i think you mean the 91.31's.....we just got the 91.33's yesterday, and there is not TRU modified version of them yet. I tried the new 91.33's and had a ton of problems, and they are BETA drivers. Please just try the 91.31 Xtreme-G modified drivers, they work very well, and overclock great.
I'll give it a shot.
Old 1st July, 2006, 10:14 PM
Breakout Champion

Let us know if they work for you, i have had great success with this set.
Ubuntu

Tags
6800gs , mods