AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 7th March, 2006, 08:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via MSN to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via Skype™ to Edu_AnGrA

Exclamation -> Mod your 6800GS AGP to Ultra Extreme with coolermod!

Guide to mod your 6800GS AGP to an Ultra Extreme!
--------------------------------------------------------

Finally! A complete guide about how to mod your 6800GS AGP to a legitimate 6800 Ultra Extreme! Remember that this tutorial is only valid to AGP versions of GS because PCI-E versions uses a diferent core, that don't even have the extras pipes. Well, it's impossible to enable what you don't have...

!! THIS TUTORIAL HAVE EXPERIMENTAL AND EDUCATIVE CHARACTER. MAKE BY YOUR OWN RISKS ONLY !!

Enought bull****s, let's go to business, =D. I've used an eVGA 6800GS AGP with Part Number: 256-A8-N387-TX. First, download and install the last version of RivaTuner, actual is v2.0 RC 15.8. DOWNLOAD RIVATUNER. Open the software and follow up:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...aturner_01.jpg
- 6800GS AGP originally "castrated" with 12/5 pipes. Note driver version: 83.60 BETA

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...aturner_04.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...aturner_02.jpg
- Select CUSTOM, enable "Allow enabling hardware masked units" and click on CUSTOMIZE.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...aturner_03.jpg
- On "HW masked" it shows the two bastards bits that are masked. Enable it by simply clicking under arrow shows

After enable the two bastards bits, click OK and you'll be asked to restart the system. Do it. Open RivaTuner again and verify if the extras pipes are enabled.If yes, still isn't time to open the champagne! I believe that you have some "hard" game installed on your machine, right? (if you don't, what the hell are u doing with a 6800?). Run the hard game and play for at least 30 minutes. Gives preference to run with the most quality you can. So, you'll be pushing your card to uses all the potential.

You can scan for artifacts using the ATi Tool version 0.24 Beta 13, that are compatible with GeForces.

If you don't detect any visual artifact, bug or something of type.....prepare the sallon because the party will start!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU JUST ACQUIRED A 6800GT!!!

-> If you detect some artifact, bug or something, backup the process!!! Sit down and cry because your card have damaged pipes by factory. BUT...still have hope for you, my unlucky friend. Try to enable only PIXEL PIPE and unable the VERTEX PIPE or "vice versa". Who knows if just one of the pipes are damaged and you still can uses one of then...it really happen with some brands/models

But the tutorial wasn't to mod to an Ultra Extreme you moron? Wait my child...this was only the beginning, relax because now it goes burn!!!

To mod to an Ultra or Ultra Extreme will be necessary mod and update the bios of the card (wich now is a legity GT, remember?). You'll need two softwares: NiBiTor v2.7 to mod your bios and nvFlash v5.25 to update the new modded bios.

Everything right under here? So let's go to next steps. Open up NiBiTor 2.7 and:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...tor_mod-01.jpg

Making this, the bios that are running right now on your card will be loaded to NiBiTor, so far, posible to mod the options. Before starting modding anything, made a backup copy of the bios that was loaded: File -> Save BIOS!!! Recommend that you create an east name like: biosback.rom, biosorig.rom, biosold.rom, etc...you really can need him...Modify the options in agreement as your necessities and own will. Another time I warn that I won't be responsable for some ######## that you can do!! Make by your own business and risks, ok!?

I've just modified the Core and Memory clocks to 450/1100 MHz (without enable "Change amount of active performance levels"), on Temperatures I've configured the Fanspeed 3D to 100% and on Boot Settings I've modified the text that is showed when you turn the system on (under Adv. Signon). If you want, you can enable the option that shows the amount of memory size, change the resolution, color of the text and boot during time. Are only visual "cosmetics"...

After finish changing options, go to File -> Save BIOS and save with the name and where your want to. If you use Windows XP, make and boot disk by going under My Computer -> clicking with right button on Disk 3 1/2" -> Format -> MAKE A MS-DOS INITIALIZATION DISK. After create disk, extract, on same disk, the files cwsdpmi.exe, nvFlash.exe (inside nvFlash.zip that you downloaded), "biosback.rom" (original bios that you MADE backup), "biosmod.rom" ("La transformación" bios!). Copy the original bios and the modded bios by NiBiTor (called biosmod.rom) to the same disk!!! Restart system and run boot under (of course, lol).

Run command: "nvflash -4 -5 -6 biosmod.rom" (without quotations marks). It will ask if you want to update bios, you anwser no...SELECT YES BROW!!! . Update will longer a few seconds and will get you back to A:\> (or the letter of your disk unit). Restart your system, see the new boot screen if you've modified it, open RivaTuner and verify if the clocks are sucessful changed: Go to overclock session and unable "Enable driver-level hardware overclock".. Click OK, close RivaTuner, open it again and enable "Enable driver-...", select Detect Now and see wich are the clocks that Riva detected. If shows the clocks that you've configured, test again with some hard game or/and ATi Tool v0.24 Beta 13. If don't detect artifacts...

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU'VE JUST ACQUIRED A 6800 ULTRA EXTREME!!!

How much did you pay for it??? Hum..., nice, nice!

Verify idle° and full° temperatures. I think that some guys will need cooler mod. Me too...here it is 56°C idle and 65-69ºC full...tense...cooler mod going run here!

EDIT: Make backup of the original bios under NiBiTor BEFORE starting moding and saving after.
eVGA GF 6800GS@Ultra Extreme + Coolermod @16/6 @450/1100 MHz
TT Volcano 12+ & PurePower 480W
Seagate 120GB SATA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2006, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via MSN to Edu_AnGrA Send a message via Skype™ to Edu_AnGrA

If you want to enable the 16/6 pipes under bios and complete abandon softmod (in case, RivaTuner), here it goes the steps:

Open the file "NV40BIOSHwUnitsMaskEliminator.rts" in folder C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.0 RC 15.8\PatchScripts\NVIDIA\NV40BIOSHwUnitsMaskElimin tor. Select Continue -> find the "biosmod.rom" that you mod on NiBiTor v2.7 -> YES. You'll see this screen:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...-6_bios-03.jpg

The "biosmod.rom" file was updated. Now, you need to re-write at the same disk that you used before. Update the file in disk, restart machine, boot up under the disk and repeat the last steps:

Command: "nvflash -4 -5 -6 biosmod.rom" (without quonation marks).

Restart again and...my god!!! Now you have a 6800 ULTRA EXTREME forever!!!

How much did you pay for it??? AhiuHuahIUa. GOOD!!!

\o/

Thats all folks! Any doubt, comment, sugetions, good or bad critical arguments, we are here. Have fun with you brand new toy that has, now, 16 pixel pipes, 6 vertex pipes, 450 e 1100 MHz natives!!!
Seagate 120GB SATA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th March, 2006, 08:56 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Well done dude this mod is great, thanks for the info.
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 7th March, 2006, 08:56 PM

I didn't resisted...was too excited with this excelent card and I've adapted an Athlon XP fan on my pet!!! Now it is really "FULL MODDED" version. Check the pics:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ler-mod-01.jpg
- Original card without the protector plastic. Note the excelent copper base.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ler-mod-02.jpg
- Cutting down the protector plastic to adapt the new fan

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ler-mod-03.jpg
- Plastic after cut and all the material that I haven't used to mod: iron ruler, stiletto (thats broken up a little), Cooler Master fan and your copper dissipator base (that I don't have used)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ler-mod-04.jpg
- Card with the protector plastic cut

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ler-mod-05.jpg
- The new pet!!!
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 7th March, 2006, 09:12 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Come on guys put this as frontpage :P
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 7th March, 2006, 09:33 PM

I want to edit some old links but the "Edit" button doesn't appear anymore. How can I do?
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 7th March, 2006, 09:35 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got EpOx
Come on guys put this as frontpage :P
I second that motion !!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 7th March, 2006, 10:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu_AnGrA
I want to edit some old links but the "Edit" button doesn't appear anymore. How can I do?
There is a 30 minute time limit on edits. PM me with your changes, and I can get them up for you.
Old 7th March, 2006, 10:35 PM

how fast is the ultra extreme?
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 8th March, 2006, 12:21 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Awesome works.

Thanks alot for taking to time to share it with us. Yet another reason to own a 6800GS.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th March, 2006, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
There is a 30 minute time limit on edits. PM me with your changes, and I can get them up for you.
Gizmo, can you plz review my three posts and fix the bad english?? It's a little...dumb... :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcatmk3
how fast is the ultra extreme?
Well...I'll return the question: How fast do you want it to be? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Awesome works.

Thanks alot for taking to time to share it with us. Yet another reason to own a 6800GS.
Thx. It's really is a pleasure to share this guide with you AOA guys. You have been helped me a lot in EPoX session, I want to retribute!!

This guide was in Brazilian Portuguese original version. I've take some time to translate it. And, as u can see, still have a lot of errors...bad english, lol.
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 8th March, 2006, 04:55 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu_AnGrA
Gizmo, can you plz review my three posts and fix the bad english?? It's a little...dumb... :P
I'll see what I can do.

However, it's liable to be a bit before I get to it, as I have a number of other tasks that need to be tended to as well.
Old 8th March, 2006, 08:35 AM
Steve Jobs

My 6800GT runs the Ultra Extreme BIOS off an Albatron UE press card. Default 450Mhz/1100Mhz with a higher voltage. The thing I havn't seen before is this cooler mod. I must honestly say, that is very good thinking.

Can you give us some before and after temps (loaded and idle)?

I have a very special 60mm fan I have been saving just for a mod like this.

60mm 8000RPM Delta Electronics 1.2A fan. Now to get fitting.

Very well done dude
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 8th March, 2006, 09:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

8000 RPM?! mate...wouldn't that hair dryer make too much noise?
Old 8th March, 2006, 10:28 AM
Steve Jobs

http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/pro...2a5b7065bff5d6

Thats where I got it.

Only 55 db.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th March, 2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
The thing I havn't seen before is this cooler mod. I must honestly say, that is very good thinking. Can you give us some before and after temps (loaded and idle)?

I have a very special 60mm fan I have been saving just for a mod like this. 60mm 8000RPM Delta Electronics 1.2A fan. Now to get fitting.

Very well done dude
Thx dsio!!

I forget to post the temp differences:

- In full stock (12/5 pipes, 350/1000 MHz and original cooler), was 50-52°C idle e 60-63°C full.

- With Ultra Extreme mod (16/6 pipes, 450/1100 MHz and original cooler), was 52-54°C idle and 62-65°C full

- Full modded to Ultra Extreme (pipes, MHz + coolermod), stay in 52-53°C idle and 59-61° full. I think that coolermod hangged well because it was @ultra extreme natively (definitive mod under bios).

- Full modded to Ultra Extreme (pipes, MHz + coolermod) BUT with volt mod to 1.4V on core (original is 1.3V), stay in 53-56° idle and 62-66° full.

I've tested the full temperatures using the "Scan Artifacts" function per one minute of ATiTool 0.25 Beta 13 software. Despite the name, it is compatible with GF's. It is notable that cooler mod hang something...But with volt mod the temps became a little hot again.

I hasn't test the temps using games yet, only using Scan Artifacts at the moment. Can't get time to test with games and 3DMark's.
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 8th March, 2006, 01:06 PM
Steve Jobs

Do you think it would perform better if you removed the stock blower on the HSF and just used the bigger 60mm fan, allowing it to blow out both ends of the cooler?

At the moment, the stock blower, and the fan are fighting eachother to some degree, causing turbulance on the left hand side.

The other improvement I would make, is using a 60mm duct, with at least 1 inch standoff to space the fan off of the GPU sink without losing any air pressure.

See, at this point, the center of the fan, which is about 2cm diameter is not providing any cooling, and that is near the center of the GPU's placement in the sink. Using the standoff, or better yet and angled standoff, you would get much better airflow efficiencey.

Using a bent 60/80 adapter standoff, you could even mount a nice 80mm fan using the duct to it, which I think may just improve things even better.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th March, 2006, 01:09 PM
Steve Jobs

http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/pro...products_id=90

http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/pro...products_id=91

If you used one of those, it could really improve things alot. Removing the blower would give it more exhaust room, reduce turbulance, and improve it even more. Then lastly, you should do a lap job on your heatsink. alternatively, you can take it to a jewler, and they can polish the HSF's bottom surface up to a mirror finish very cheaply.

Then a good coat of Arctic silver 5 and it would be brilliant.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 8th March, 2006, 01:14 PM

I'll try to switch off the original fan and see the temps running only with Cooler Master fan. If don't get any better I'll adapt the Microfins dissipator copper base that I don't used before (see in pics).
Seagate 120GB SATA
Old 8th March, 2006, 03:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page Edu_AnGrA! www.aoaforums.com

Tags
6800gs , mods