AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April, 2006, 01:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Peliter Question and PS2 Mod Question

First off, nice and simple quesion, can a peltier be used with air cooling?

Second: my nephew is 5 (6 next week), and he has a PS2 and has ruined god knows how many games because he doesnt understand that scratched disks dont work.

I have someone software that when loaded onto a harddrive, allows the drive to be read via USB ports on the PS2. I have an IDE-USB cable, a spare power supply, and a hard drive. Now the way I figure it, load all his games onto the harddrive using the software, and somehow build an enclosure for the power supply, and hard drive. I want to make it as small as possible, so is it dangerous to mount a hard drive right next to a PSU? Also, what is the best material for the enclosure?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2006, 01:54 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

AFAIK Peltiers can be used with air cooling, but it's not recommended.

For the PS2 mod, I remember reading that the Broad Band adapter for the standard PS2 allows you to fit a hard-drive, internal to the PS2, then, with software you can rip all your PS2 games to the hard-drive, and play them from there. I think it was something like HD Advance but I am not 100% sure.

Hope that helps.

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2006, 02:10 PM

Yes I know its possible to mount a hard drive into a PS2. BUT: This PS2 is still covered by warranty. And also, he is only turning 6, so I think he would find it better if he could actually *SEE* what he is getting for his birthday, instead of seeing Uncle Ronnie play with the PS2 for an hour and then magically games without discs.

Old 4th April, 2006, 02:20 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

I don't think adding the network adapter (wich is made and sold by Sony) would void the warranty, but it makes sense that he shold be able to see his present.

It's best to to have a HDD too close to a PSU, but I don't think it will cause any huge problems. I would recommend acrylic or wood for the casing of the HDD/PSU

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th April, 2006, 02:35 PM

OK then. I was thinking acryllic as well, and pulling the top off the PSU and maybe a small neon. So he could see the inside (not touch it of course :P ) because he loves all that kind of stuff. He gets in and helps me out. One day he and I built a computer, I told him where to put things, took us about 4 hours. But he loved every minute of it, and when he loaded up Star Wars Battlefront... Smile on his face bloody near bought tears to my eyes.

Old 6th April, 2006, 05:52 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

such a great feeling
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 6th April, 2006, 09:10 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It shouldn't be a problem, but do remember that not all PS2 games like the HDLoader/HDAdvance/USBAdvance loaders unfortunately. I have software that uses the PS2 hard disk, and have hit issues with one or two games.
Old 7th April, 2006, 06:11 AM

What kind of issues, just non loading issues? What kind of software do you recommend?

Old 7th April, 2006, 03:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Non-loading issues mainly. Also, using the USB hard disk to run programs from means that the DNAS check will fail if you ever use online gaming. Basically DNAS is designed to ensure that the code is correct to ensure that people a) play from an original disc; and b) don't try and cheat. Think of it as the PS2 version of copyprotection and anti-cheat rolled into one.
Old 8th April, 2006, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Non-loading issues mainly. Also, using the USB hard disk to run programs from means that the DNAS check will fail if you ever use online gaming. Basically DNAS is designed to ensure that the code is correct to ensure that people a) play from an original disc; and b) don't try and cheat. Think of it as the PS2 version of copyprotection and anti-cheat rolled into one.
Ah ok. He doesnt play multiplayer so it doesnt matter. He isnt allowed. :\

Old 21st May, 2006, 11:06 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

How's it looking then Rondog?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home
Old 22nd May, 2006, 10:47 AM

Couldn't take photo's, but he loved it. Dont have a digital camera. Just a a simple clear acrylic box, with a single 8" blue cathode. Lookd very sweet, or so I thought.

Old 7th June, 2006, 11:56 PM
AOA Staff

I'm going to be showing my 8 yr old nephew how to build a computer.
I'm worried that he won't have the patience to learn. I was going to have him put everything together (with help of course) so there is hands-on education.
But if your nephew (Rondog's) was patient enough to build for 4 hours, then that gives me some hope.
Do you have any tips?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Old 9th June, 2006, 01:34 AM

Keep it interesting. Dont focus too much on the technical side of it. If he asks questions, relate back to things he enjoys such as video games or movies.

Mod the case as well. Such as painting. And allow him to do this. He will feel much happier if he can see a result of his labour.