AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th May, 2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks monkeyman,
Im not bothered about losing 200 points from over 5000, quite happy to use the drivers you guys suggest.
Thanks about the physx info aswell, i went and read a fair bit about them myself. I think they will be intergrated into the common gfx card in the future - to much trouble as they are.
About the temps again, how do i check them in game? I have powerstrip, can it check the temps in game?
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to lkomarci

pretty simple solution mate, keep your gfx card's utility tool running while playing a game and just switch to it using alt+tab. temp wont go down in matter of a few seconds.
Old 18th May, 2006, 11:37 PM

Thnx bud, should have thought of that one. here is another, i used nvidias desktop manager to auto detect core and clock speeds for the gainward 6800 gs and it came up with, 512MHz core and 1.32 GHz memory. Thats quite a jump from 420MHz core and 1.20 GHz memory. Do you guys think the card would be stable at those speeds, i only have the stock cooler and one rear fan?
Old 19th May, 2006, 01:23 AM

I read the overclocking thread and started testing. The card did not like having 510MHz clock, i'm at 480 at the mo and will run that for a few days see how it goes, seems fine in aoe3 and quake 4 and just touching 70 degrees.
Old 19th May, 2006, 10:47 AM
Steve Jobs

The auto overclocking thing isn't any good to be honest. Doing the job manually is always the best policy, because you need to be able to see that edge you are on, between maximum speed, and instability.

IF your DDR can clock that high it should help you a fair bit on that card. Very well done.

The current driver you should be using by the way, is the 87.25 (I think most are anyway).

70C is fine on that card godrugal0, but what it means is that you have plenty of room to cool it down.

As I suggested earlier, a $7 tube of arctic silver 3 (available through overclockers.co.uk) would improve temps a fair bit, but if you are going to do that, it also worth considering a better HSF.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...erials_27.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...alman_398.html
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th May, 2006, 08:37 PM

but it also depends on his motherboards neh? DFI rules
Old 20th May, 2006, 01:10 AM
Steve Jobs

DFI = Diamond Flower International. No joke!

Goes well with a "Pink Fairy Worldwide" video card
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th May, 2006, 01:20 AM

I have the zalman vf700-cu fan right next to me, but the gainward baord looks different?? dont know if it will fit, any ideas.
I had the card at 480MHz clock and stock memory, but when i came in tonight and switched on the pc i got artifacts, i have gone back to 470MHz which seems to run fine(did for a couple of days anyway). Once i have the clock sorted i will try the memory.
The drivers are the 87.25.

I saw a akasa system blower on scan.co.uk, are these things any good?

Again thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Last edited by godrugal0; 20th May, 2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 20th May, 2006, 08:36 AM
Steve Jobs

Could you take some pics?

Perhaps a shot of the back of the card, the front of the card, the bottom of the Zalman HSF?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th May, 2006, 12:38 PM

could be that this zalman doesnt fit onto 6800 GS. i think it fits onto 6800 GT but i think that the heatsink holes dont match.
Old 20th May, 2006, 12:50 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, its possible, but it would be rather odd, since Nvidia has kept the mountings on every other 6 and 7 series the same. Perhaps the fact that its 512MB has something to do with it?

We'll know more after some pictures though
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th May, 2006, 01:32 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

AFAIK the Gainward 512mb BLISS cards do have a different mounting, the PCB is laid out differently to standard models.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 20th May, 2006, 02:50 PM
Steve Jobs

This is the front view.

Samsung 1.4ns chips, good for 1.4Ghz, probably more overclocked, and even more than that volt modded.

Nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Rivatuner-compatible drivers for Gainward 6800GS AGP?-ref.jpg  
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th May, 2006, 06:20 PM

sorry no pics yet (busy at work), but that is the pci-e card mine is agp and the ram is set out in two lines, one horizontaly above the gpu and one running down the right hand side as you look at the front of the card.

you might be able to see this in the picture below, the ram is covered in a red heat sink
And the zalman does fit the 6800gs cards but this card is set out slightly differently.
Attached Images

Last edited by godrugal0; 20th May, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 22nd May, 2006, 12:07 PM

Well i finally got the images done, the zalman does not fit (for obvious reasons,look at the pics), and i'm getting artifacts when i overclock at any clock speed now - just have to keep it as it is!!

As you will see this card is very different, the ram is in two lines and there appears to be another chip below the gpu? not sure what it is.

as i cant install a third party fan do you think a system blower will help

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=130270
Attached Thumbnails
Rivatuner-compatible drivers for Gainward 6800GS AGP?-100_1035.jpg   Rivatuner-compatible drivers for Gainward 6800GS AGP?-gainward-bliss.jpg  
Old 22nd May, 2006, 12:13 PM
Steve Jobs

Oh yea, thats way different. It makes sense though, since your card is a PCI-E chip, shoe-horned onto an AGP board. As a result you have the the bridge chip below the core which needs to be cooled well, so the zalman even if mountable would not be able to cool both.

Its actually a good idea that they didn't give standard mountings for just that reason. While its off, clean that white goop off both the bridge and GPU, and apply a very nice and well layed coat of Arctic Silver 5, and while the HSF is off, give it a good lap and polish.

That will definately help you.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 22nd May, 2006, 03:20 PM

Will be ordering my artic silver next week and will do what you suggest then bud. Thanks for all the hekp guys.
Old 22nd May, 2006, 03:25 PM
Steve Jobs

Try to keep in mind that even temporarily putting the HSF back on, with the existing thermal grease is a bad idea.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th September, 2006, 08:48 PM

long time no see guys. I did eventually get artic silver and it does help, i also got a new case and now have 3 80mm fans and a 120mm intake fan, which all help.
I totally forgot about your excellent forum aswell, sorry!!
I have started to think about overclocking my gainward 6800gs 512mb agp card again.
When i applied the artic silver and had a good dust i changed the idle temp of the card from about 53 to 43 degrees, but over the past few weeks it has statred to creep back up again and now is sitting at 53/54 degrees. I am using the expertool that came with the card to overclock it, is this advisable?
Any advice as usual will be handsomly recieved, thanks.
Old 10th September, 2006, 12:22 PM

i have got rid of the expertool and am using the nvidia control panel that came with ur excellent drivers. So far i have got my clock to 495 from 450mhz and the memory to 1290 from 1200mhz. I ran bf2 for an hour at 1074x768 with most settings on high apart from dynamic light and shadows and 2xAA and didnt get any trouble at all.
I also have 2gig sticks of crucial ram now and this realy seems to help as far as gaming is concerned.

Last edited by godrugal0; 10th September, 2006 at 12:23 PM.