AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2006, 06:42 AM

7800GT modded into a GTX !

Hi all,

This is my first post. I would like to announce that I have successfully softmodded my XFX 7800gt into a 7800gtx. Using Rivatuner, I unlocked a Quad of Pixel Pipes and a Vertex Shader. Also, overclocked to 490/1140
Now I get 7-10fps more on games like Half-Life 2:EP 1. I get another 5fps on F.E.A.R.<!-- <br />
=== The following is an automatically generated message ===

This is gamermaimer's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please drop by the Welcome thread and give gamermaimer a warm AOA welcome there. -->
Old 26th July, 2006, 06:45 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Good going feels great to get a good overclock hey.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2006, 06:54 AM

OMG!! I just modded my pinto into a Ferrari!!!! WTFPWN3D!! ( I hope he catches onto where I'm going with this one...)

Last edited by tiamat63; 26th July, 2006 at 06:59 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2006, 07:16 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Uhm.. I though nVidia laser locked the chips to prevent this? It should be impossible to unlock them via software.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 26th July, 2006, 07:20 AM

It is...I tried....over and over and over...then MM told me 7800GT's arent bitmasked there laser cut. Unless Nvidia is taking 7800GTX cores and masking the quad/vertex units (kinda like the 6800GS) I dont see this happening. --I didnt think the demand for 7800Gt's was high enough to force them to this level.
Old 26th July, 2006, 07:24 AM

Well, I guess I am lucky to own one of those experimental pieces that can be unlocked.
Old 26th July, 2006, 07:25 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Only 5FPS in Fear? I think Rivatuner is telling lies mate. You are more likely seeing slightly more FPS from the overclock.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 26th July, 2006, 07:26 AM

Links? Rivatuner shots would be nice? maybe even a guide would be even better? How about some 3dmark scores and validation? I'm not saying it can't happen in this world....I just didnt see it coming.
Old 26th July, 2006, 08:58 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

They are not unlocked, Rivatuner WILL show they are unlocked though, if you look in the far column you will see that the units are not hardware masked but unavailable.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2006, 09:20 AM

See its like this, both the GTX & GT have the same core. So, nVidia first
tries to make a GTX, but, out of a batch GTX's, some pieces have some defects in them. nVidia markets these as GT's. Which have most probably would have gone through the laser treatment to render them unlockable.Those defects don't necessarily have to be defects in the pixel pipes .But, in my case I most probably got an engineering version. I'm feeling lucky .
Old 26th July, 2006, 09:26 AM

Here the link, it's in chinese but understandable

http://www.hkepc.com/hwdb/7800gt-5.htm
Old 26th July, 2006, 09:53 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Now look at the right hand column in rivatuner...none of then say H/W masked even though they are software disabled.......the pipes would say "yes" under hardware masked if they could be put back with rivatuner, anyone with a 7800gt can tell rivatuner to unlock those pipes and it will look like it is, however it is not.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 26th July, 2006, 12:12 PM

But how come I'm getting a few more fps in games even though I had overclocked the card before this unlock procedure ? Also I haven't changed my system before or after. Also the card, before the procedure was running at 54*C at idle and now runs at 58*C.
Old 26th July, 2006, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

It is from your OC...If you had unlocked the pipes you would have had a much greater increase in performance...

If I only gained 5 FPS by unlocking my 6800, I would not even bother. Not worth the time...

BTW Welcom to the Forums...

Last edited by Samuknow; 26th July, 2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 26th July, 2006, 12:34 PM

But I'm still puzzled. I overclocked way before even thinking of unlocking the card. And I took note to especially the HL 2:EP 1 performance before attempting the unlock. After the unlock procedure, I got about 7fps more.
How can that be explained ? Anyways, thanks for the welcome.