AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th July, 2006, 10:32 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

hmmm. Whats wrong with this picture!

Like the title says, can anyone spot what is wrong with my graphics card? Sorry if the pics are abit poo, used my moby camera.

Think you know? have a guess!!
Attached Thumbnails
hmmm. Whats wrong with this picture!-image046.jpg  
Old 28th July, 2006, 10:36 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

Removed teh dust filter? ooh ooh is it missing a cap?
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 28th July, 2006 at 10:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2006, 10:53 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

We have a winner, I was hoping it wouldnt take long for someone to spot it. Yes your 100% right GE,

I was taking the card out of my athlon set up to put it in my new rig when my finger slipped off the bottom of the card and caught a cap, not hard but one of the caps went flying across the room

Ive had a look around on the net but cant find anything to help me out or tell me what that cap does.

Can anyone on here tell me? on the top of cap it says: 451 SVP 330 16.

I havent dared to run my card without the cap incase it does more damage. ATM i'm back to using my MX440.

Would it be an impossible job to replace the cap myself? I have some experience with a solidering iron. Or would a return to leadtek be a better idea?

Please, if anyone could help me out on this I would be forever grateful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its a 6800LE 128MB
Attached Thumbnails
hmmm. Whats wrong with this picture!-image045.jpg  

Last edited by ajopz; 28th July, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th July, 2006, 11:59 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajopz
Ive had a look around on the net but cant find anything to help me out or tell me what that cap does.
I would say probably voltage regulating of some sort
Quote:
I havent dared to run my card without the cap incase it does more damage.
it almost definatley would
Quote:
Would it be an impossible job to replace the cap myself?
Nopes, there is a guide around here for recapping a mobo, the same principles would apply, I fancy

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 29th July, 2006, 11:27 AM

Thanx favu.
I found the guide, Its was written by gizmo for changing caps on the 8rda+. I will be more than willing to give it ago.
There is one thing though. In the guide it states: [you need a minimum of a 35W temperature controlled soldering iron.] This i dont have, only got a standard soldering iron, do i really need the above mentioned iron?
Old 29th July, 2006, 12:54 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

ive put a cap back on a soundcard with a standard soldering iron with no problems.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 29th July, 2006, 02:31 PM

Thats what i like to hear MM, Ive got afew old pcb's laying about so i'll have to get some practise before i try my G Card.

Before I start has anyone got any good tips or thing to avoid?
Old 29th July, 2006, 03:55 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Dont keep the tip of the iron on the component leg for any length of time and keep the soldering tidy so no short circuits occur on the PCB.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 29th July, 2006, 04:56 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Verify that the cap is re-attached in the correct orientation. find a pic on the internet or an old one of your own and check where the purple color sits. Installing it backwards could be bad.
Old 29th July, 2006, 05:15 PM

found an old pic from when i first got the card. The purple part is at the bottom same as the rest. The only problem i can see is: after rechecking the card, i noticed the legs on the missing cap dont go through the board so they can be soldered from the back, they are soldered onto connections on the same side as the caps. how am i supost to get a soldering iron tip in between the bottom of the cap and the card as space is very limited!
Old 29th July, 2006, 05:36 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lol have fun. It CAN be done, but with great difficulty ,I'd imagine.
Old 29th July, 2006, 05:57 PM

Ok, thanx for the advice fellas, i'll let you know how it goes when i pluck up the curage to have a go.
Old 30th July, 2006, 10:47 PM

OK, not a great start, no actually it was a ****ing terrible start.
The pins on the cap broke off, so now i have no chance of re-attaching them

*throws graphics card in the bin*
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:01 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

No No NO don't throw it away just buy a new cap of the same type and values!! One with longer legs would be good they are only worth a few dollars each.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:07 PM

Ah, a glimmer of hope. Where would be the best place to buy the cap from then? Would i need to get intouch with leadtek or are these sort of caps availible from high street shops?
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:18 PM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Could try a TV repair shop all something like that or an electronics parts shop. Just take your old one with you.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 30th July, 2006, 11:23 PM

Good thinking QSDT, urve cheered me up no end.
I'll have a look around and see if i can find 1 or maybe 2!
Old 14th August, 2006, 12:11 PM

*UPDATE*

Well I contacted leadtek and was told to e-mail them all the details of the cap that needed replacing and they would see if they could send a new one. That was over 2 weeks ago and still no reply!

Went to afew tv repair shops and maplins and no-one had a replacment cap

Yesterday I was very bored and thought i'd have another go at it. I managed to solder a piece of wire to each of the broken off legs of the cap, then attach the other ends of the wires to the connections on the card. So now the cap is attached via 2 two inch piece's of wire. I used a couple of cable tie's to hold it onto the fan casing.

Put it back onto my board, and to my surprize it works

ATM its running fine, abit hotter than it use to be @ 74c.

Unlocked the pipes and shaders ok, and it seems to overclock as well as it did b4!

Does anyone know if attaching the cap this way would have any adverse effects on my card or system?

Last edited by ajopz; 14th August, 2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 14th August, 2006, 12:19 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

If the cap is well connected there will be no problems !!! Only if the soldering or the inner connection is lost at some point there would be consequences ! Great job M8
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 14th August, 2006, 02:53 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Lead inductance created by the extra wire length will prevent the capacitor from being able to filter ripple as well as it would if it were soldered directly to the board like it is supposed to be. This COULD be the reason the card seems to be running hotter than before, but that's not certain. In any case, if the card seems to be running fine, then there probably isn't an issue.