AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks ! using this guide I was able to max my BFG7800GT at 510/1190 (without this mod I reached 492/1800) from a default of 425/1050. That's an increase of 20% with minimum effort !!
Old 21st September, 2006, 11:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoavyoavyoav
Thanks ! using this guide I was able to max my BFG7800GT at 510/1190 (without this mod I reached 492/1800) from a default of 425/1050. That's an increase of 20% with minimum effort !!

Great to see that it worked for you...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmoz
Hi ya all.
Yus discovered this article.
Before i yus read everywhere it couldn´t be done
that is ... without soldering!!! ... and ive done lapping, pin covering on the old 300A back in the days and so on ... but i once tried to solder...
and well i do this because i gotta pay for new parts myself...
and my salary ... well u get the picture

To get to the cheese .... I only have the VID "0" available no 1, 2, or 3.
so im kinda stuck in the middle.
I have tried other bios versions for my Sparkle 6600 (Non GT) 256MB DDR1 AGP but it is always the same... no other VID than "0" available for me.
Which really started to puzzle me when i tried to load other compatible bioses into Nbitor (yes the 2.9a release) Asus ones EVga ones ... its always the same with the VID ... this isnt a driver issue or is it???
Still using the latest 80 Series because the 90 Series is giving me gripes with the Clone mode in Dual View.

Hmmm.... well if somebody knows how its you guys.

I get good clocks on my GPU already (modded the cooling but the
Memory wont budge a mhz above 570 (default 550) at least not without extra juice
Not really sure why yours is blocked. It could just be that the card maker has it set up that way. If you want, you could send me a copy of your saved bios via email so I could take a look at it. PM me for my email address..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2006, 03:07 PM

Flash the mobo bios(1017.004); update the chipset, tweak RUs video drivers, flash the cards again (both default and voltmod) still can't use SLI mode. It would reboot OK with dual video cards enable (in bios) but crash when choosing "enable sli mode" @ the nVidia control panel. Not a complaint, just sharing my experience. Any ideas please let me know.

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 21st September, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 21st September, 2006, 03:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

So you're back to an unmodified BIOS, Strongwolf?
Old 21st September, 2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongwolf
Flash the mobo bios(1017.004); update the chipset, tweak RUs video drivers, flash the cards again (both default and voltmod) still can't use SLI mode. It would reboot OK with dual video cards enable (in bios) but crash when choosing "enable sli mode" @ the nVidia control panel. Not a complaint, just sharing my experience. Any ideas please let me know.

Did you try one card at a time. Flash back to default with only one card installed. Do each and then reinstall both cards...
Old 22nd September, 2006, 10:47 PM

Well Im using the volt mode (Ifigure out that if I'm gona use one card let be them the voltmod bios).
Going to try Sam's idea I would let you know how it goes.

BTW it works great the one card just need to be very carefull when in SLI. Great experience thou.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd September, 2006, 09:31 PM

Aftermath

Aftermath: one (1) dead video card
one (1) more savy overclocker

Not bad.

BTW: this is a great excuse to upgrade the video card. Any personal suggestions?

AOA Team fah
Old 24th September, 2006, 12:02 AM

It died...

I feel bad.
Old 24th September, 2006, 01:04 AM

Rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
It died...

I feel bad.
Well don't be. I'm OK with it. Take a chance and lost, it's happens. All the time, when I was working on her, I was thinking "when I fix this I'll do it again. So don't feel bad I'm gratefull. Thanks Sam.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2006, 07:25 PM

UPDATE.

I have the CD boot working...I want to test one more time to make sure.

I will also be adding a caution and additional steps for SLI card users due to Strongwolf's recent loss.
Old 28th September, 2006, 12:15 PM
Breakout Champion

Well, i have gone back to the default BIOS. The extra volts didnt give me any gain, and actually caused a couple of freeze ups. I have found that a couple of games that i play dont like my overclocks, like QUAKE 4, i have to turn the clock speeds down some in order to play it, or it freezes up and crashes.....Prey is the same way, i have to lower the memory clocks or it crashes with memory errors. So right now i am running at 411/815, but when i play Quake 4 i have to lower it to 395/795, anything over that and it crashes, its wierd....all my other games play fine at 411/815, most will even play fine at higher clocks, but i have found that these are the most stable clock speeds overall.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 1st October, 2006, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dewey321

i got my 7950gt from 1.25v to 1.35. i got about 100mhz rock solid overclock out of it. my question is can i write in my own value of 1.4v?the card only seems to have 1.25 to 1.35 as options

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is dewey321's first post. The Welcome thread is here. Please post all welcome messages there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===
Attached Thumbnails
nVidia Video Card BIOS volt-mod how-to-p73258557568984.jpg  
Old 1st October, 2006, 10:06 PM

If you look at the section where you modify the voltage table you can select what you want in .1v increments

Here

Last edited by Samuknow; 1st October, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2nd October, 2006, 02:03 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

No go for the 6600GT already at max voltage 1.4, I'm going to have to pencil mod my voltage!
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd October, 2006, 10:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dewey321

well what if my card doesn't support 1.4v and i add that to the bios. i know my gpu can handle that, but will the board allow that much voltage to pass thru from the bios. is the conductive ink method safer?
Old 3rd October, 2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey321
well what if my card doesn't support 1.4v and i add that to the bios. i know my gpu can handle that, but will the board allow that much voltage to pass thru from the bios. is the conductive ink method safer?

It is two different things.

Either way you are putting more voltage into the GPU. The pencil mod should work fine. You have to take accurate measurments....
Old 3rd November, 2006, 03:53 AM

So how is that boot cd working? I don't own a floppy drive and i would like to try this
Old 3rd November, 2006, 05:11 AM

Got it to work sort of. I will pick it up again this weekend. Sorry for dropping this.
Old 3rd November, 2006, 10:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Think i'm gonna try this out on my 7600GT. If i can get another 40 out of memory, i've maxed out the clock, and another 50 out of core and i'm at 650, which is 100 total from stock. Good guide!

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)

Last edited by skool h8r; 3rd November, 2006 at 10:58 AM.