AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th September, 2006, 11:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

nVidia Video Card BIOS volt-mod how-to

Samuknow has written us a nice BIOS volt-mod guide:

Over-clockers are always looking for a way to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their hardware. This has been going on for years. Today’s Video Cards are great candidates for over-clocking. Many have high-end capabilities just waiting to be released.

As any over-clocker knows, an increase in voltage can sometimes net a moderate to great increase in the overall over-clock, but there is no guarantee that this mod will offer any increase in your over-clock. With that in mind, we will be showing you how to perform a bios volt mod to your 6 or 7 series card.

Read more on the Front Page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/c.../view/1190/30/

Last edited by Gizmo; 16th September, 2006 at 11:44 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 02:04 AM
Alien Clones Champion

Location: Queensland Australia ''Oh'' the beauitful sunny coast!
Send a message via MSN to QSDT

Great work Samuknow, I'll give it ago on my 6600GT.
Monitor Dell 24'' 2407WFP ''WOW that's all I can say''

Why is Phonetic not spelt Phonetically, and why is the word Abbreviation so long?

My Ex gives 100% sound adivce, 99% sound, 1% adivce.

69% of all statistics are made up!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th September, 2006, 03:07 AM

Try it but didn't work. I think I get it right until the MS DOS prompt:type a:\nvflash volt mod.rom and get a "Error Firmware image file name must have a *.rom* or *nvr* extension. Download both utilities from AOA files, format the floppy with DOS, also try writing *.rom* in the file name at the floppy, same thing. What I do wrong?

ASUS G73 SW, IE7, 20 GB DD3 ram

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2006, 03:13 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

You can't use long files names in MS-DOS. They must adhere to the 8.3 convention, and cannot contain spaces.

Last edited by Gizmo; 18th September, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 18th September, 2006, 04:29 AM
Space Invaders Champion, Takion Champion

Can you not put quotes around it? That's the usual way of circumventing filenames with spaces. I am unfamiliar with MS-DOS however, so I may be totally out of my mind.
"this happened to me once, only i kept wiping my nose in my sleep, so it was my hands that were covered in blood when i woke up. i saw my hands, and was like, "dear diary, all i remember is watching half a movie and falling asleep on the couch?" -Ryan North
Old 18th September, 2006, 06:17 AM

I just used nvflash voltmo~1.rom BUT THEN I get ERROR: ID not valid (7103 or whatever) Recommend using a newer version of NVflash. Nvidia card not found. I have a new MSI 7900 GT and it is not found and I am using the latest 5.13. UGH!
Old 18th September, 2006, 06:30 AM

Figured it out!

OK, the NVflash version provided here is OLD! Google search nvflash and download the 5.36 version if you have a newer card. This is a very important oversight on the authors behalf unless it is an old article (which it isn't, right?) However the new voltages aren't showing up and I get some weird error in German when I try to switch tabs on the voltage page...hmmm
Old 18th September, 2006, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

This is the version that i have been using and it works everytime...

I will run through it again to make sure all is well...

Thanks for the info...I want to make sure this is accurate.

I am also working an a CD boot/flash. I should have it up soon...if it works that is.

Gizmo,

I listed the .rom file as volt mod with a space. We may need to edit that to voltmod.rom.

If you could, could you also update the NVflash version...?

Thanks

Last edited by Samuknow; 18th September, 2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 18th September, 2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree
OK, the NVflash version provided here is OLD! Google search nvflash and download the 5.36 version if you have a newer card. This is a very important oversight on the authors behalf unless it is an old article (which it isn't, right?) However the new voltages aren't showing up and I get some weird error in German when I try to switch tabs on the voltage page...hmmm

If you would, go ahead and upload the newer version to AOA files.

I appreciate this. I did not check to see if the version of nvflash I used worked on newer cards...

Thanks for the catch..
Old 18th September, 2006, 02:50 PM

Try it again (with the old nvflash) and worked fine. Correct the space problem (volt mod.rom) that's all.
The bad news is that I go from 4,469 to 2,696 3D Mark 06.
Any thoughts?

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=501345

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Strongwolf; 18th September, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 18th September, 2006, 03:58 PM
Breakout Champion

OK guys, here is my problem. i have followed all the directions exactly, but when i boot from the floppy drive here is what it says:

Type the name of the command interpreter(e.g.,C:\windows\command.com)
A>

That is all i get. No matter what i type in, it keeps repeating this, and no flash gets done. Anyone know what is going on so i can fix this wierd problem? I am getting really angry about this.
Ubuntu

HP Pavillion DV9535nr Laptop

AOA Team fah AOA Team files
"Who you callin a psycho?!" Kingpin
Old 18th September, 2006, 04:17 PM

hhmmmm.....I belive I screw things up. Forget that SLI mode was enable and flash only one card (that's the reason for the lower mark06 score). Now I can't get it to boot dual pci-e. Flash the card back to 2.37 (default) but now it only read one bios (sli disable). If I enable sli them it won't boot, try in safe mode and get "cant start driver: 1084.

Hey no sweat, I'm still having fun learning. I'll keep you posted.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2006, 06:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow
I listed the .rom file as volt mod with a space. We may need to edit that to voltmod.rom.
I have modified the instructions in the article, however you will need to change the screen shot for the 'Save As' dialog.

Last edited by Gizmo; 18th September, 2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 18th September, 2006, 07:26 PM

Update.
Still can use sli mode. Find out that when you are in sli mode and change the voltages you do it in both at the same time automatically. When you boot up it use a single VC (already OC) and NIBITor will show the change (the oc) but also only one VC. I'm not giving up yet.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2006, 09:26 PM

Filename and personal results...

K, guys with the file name problem: simply use a short name of your own. Easy solution, I used vm1.rom

K, For my results I went all the way from 1.2 to 1.5 on a 7900 GT with an Arctic cooler (NO raise in temps and amazingly I only got about 15MHz more on the core (515 to 530, not a great overclocker) but went from 800 to 860 on the memory! Strange! (stock 500/765 MSI card)

BTW, came over from link in HardOCP and love the site! Will be in the forums from now on!

Last edited by danbfree; 18th September, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 18th September, 2006, 09:33 PM

Gizmo,

I will take care of the screenshot...

danbfree,

As I stated in the article there is no guarantee of an gain. + 15/60 is not bad.

Matt,

did you format the floppy and check the box to create bootable?
Try reformat and then create bootable. Tehn copy files to floppy. You should get a C: prompt at boot up. then type "nvflash (filename.rom)"
I'll check back with you...
Old 18th September, 2006, 10:14 PM

I give up for today. Finally get both cards @1.38 ov(0.01) and boot up using dual cards(in the bios). Still having problems when enabling the SLI mode @ the nVidia control panel (hangs, freeze or crash). Nevertheless learn a lot today. Thanks for the lesson Sam. Later..

AOA Team fah
Old 18th September, 2006, 10:50 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

NVFlash 5.36 is now available in AOAFiles here.

Thanks to danbfree for uploading it.

The file failed one of our virus scanners on upload, but passed the other one. Once I updated the engine for the first scanner, it was also happy.
Old 19th September, 2006, 09:00 AM
Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Mahjong. Champion, Virus 2 Champion, King of the Hill Champion, Super Mario Boat Bonanza Champion, Zelda Champion

Nice work with the article Sam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I open my eyes I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion, and I must despise the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

- Beethoven
Old 20th September, 2006, 01:32 AM

Hmmm... were are the VID for my 6600 AGP???

Hi ya all.
Yus discovered this article.
Before i yus read everywhere it couldn´t be done
that is ... without soldering!!! ... and ive done lapping, pin covering on the old 300A back in the days and so on ... but i once tried to solder...
and well i do this because i gotta pay for new parts myself...
and my salary ... well u get the picture

To get to the cheese .... I only have the VID "0" available no 1, 2, or 3.
so im kinda stuck in the middle.
I have tried other bios versions for my Sparkle 6600 (Non GT) 256MB DDR1 AGP but it is always the same... no other VID than "0" available for me.
Which really started to puzzle me when i tried to load other compatible bioses into Nbitor (yes the 2.9a release) Asus ones EVga ones ... its always the same with the VID ... this isnt a driver issue or is it???
Still using the latest 80 Series because the 90 Series is giving me gripes with the Clone mode in Dual View.

Hmmm.... well if somebody knows how its you guys.

I get good clocks on my GPU already (modded the cooling but the
Memory wont budge a mhz above 570 (default 550) at least not without extra juice