AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2006, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Question FarCry + 1.4Patch + HDR + AA + Nvidia = ?

Hi all,
i've been reading about the 1.4 patch for FarCry and i know it will allow AA + HDR on ATi hardware, but does anyone know if it allows it on NVidia hardware? I know NV's can handle them both at the same time in the Source engine, but will this patch allow it in FarCry's engine (CryEngine AFAIK)?

Thanks,
Scott.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2006, 02:34 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Misleading really. The Source Engine DOESN'T use HDR. It uses tonemapping and blooms to replicate HDR, but it's not ture FP16 HDR like in Oblivion, Splinter Cell, Far Cry Etc.

SM3 HDR cannot be rendered with AA on nVidia hardware currently.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 25th September, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2006, 03:22 PM

Damn...I wish FarCry used it more. I just hope Crysis will so we can have AA + "HDR" at the same time.

Even setting AA in driver settings doesn't override it, the game just uses HDR and ignores the driver settings completely.

I wonder if it would be possible for Crytek to release a patch that would fix it for SLi (use one GPU for HDR and one for AA) or a switching patch (switches between HDR and AA every few ms. Would have a weird effect though, unless it was switched at an interval below the point the eye would is able to detect. it'd probably lag a helluva lot as well).

Old 25th September, 2006, 03:24 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
Damn...I wish FarCry used it more. I just hope Crysis will so we can have AA + "HDR" at the same time.
No Crysis uses full HDR so you'll need a ATi card to get it, or G80 if it supports it.

I hope G80 supports HDR+AA so developers start building such options into their games. Although details on G80 are few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
I wonder if it would be possible for Crytek to release a patch that would fix it for SLi (use one GPU for HDR and one for AA)
Ambitious, but no idea if it's possible, plus, since there's no load balancing between the cards, you'll be back to single card performance. Not something that's likely to sit well with people

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 25th September, 2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 25th September, 2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Ambitious, but no idea if it's possible, plus, since there's no load balancing between the cards, you'll be back to single card performance. Not something that's likely to sit well with people
Well what would people prefer: 60+ FPS with AA+HDR or 120+ FPS with either AA or HDR. I know which i'd go for (and yes, i do get 60+ FPS with either HDR or AA at max).

I know that it's written deep within the game itself, but i think i'm gonna work on a mod that can enhance the effect that you get with paradise rendering mode, so it's closer to HDR that just an aura. There's got to be a setting somewhere.

SOT, what happened to the Enhanced Reality mod? Perhaps it could be integrated into there? It...was...you that made that or have i lost my memory again?

Old 25th September, 2006, 08:17 PM
AOA Staff

Indeed I did, but stopepd due to lack of feedback. I think only 2 people tried it. Feel free to use/tweak it into what ever you wish.

Also, I had alook at the HDR filters while attempted a Bullet time mod to give a sort of Overhaze. I don't know how much modding ability there is with it I'm afraid.

XBL/PNS = neolad

Last edited by Pitch; 25th September, 2006 at 08:38 PM.