AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2007, 11:11 AM

tada!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY volt-mod guide-picture-100.jpg   DIY volt-mod guide-picture-103.jpg  

Last edited by elfy; 20th February, 2007 at 11:13 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2007, 05:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I hate to ask this, because you obviously went to a lot of trouble to get these pics, but can you get a more straight-down from-the-top pic? I can't see where some of the traces are going.

From what I can tell of the pic, it looks like it is pretty much the same layout as the reference circuit in the Intersil literature.

Based on what I CAN see in the pics, I believe your best bet will be to tie some resistance (e.g. a pot) directly between the FB pin and ground.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2007, 06:13 PM

hopefully these 3 are better, if you want more zoomed out just say, one thing though, after my recent disaster i'm not too confident about my soldering skills, how much of an improvement in voltage would i get by pencil modding?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY volt-mod guide-picture-104.jpg   DIY volt-mod guide-picture-105.jpg   DIY volt-mod guide-picture.jpg  
Old 20th February, 2007, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Darn. Those pictures aren't clear enough for me to see what I'm looking for. Well, thanks for trying, anyway.

As for the pencil mod, from the way the circuit appears to be set up, a pencil mod won't do you any good because it will only decrease the resistance of the components, and that will result in LOWER voltage in this case.
Old 20th February, 2007, 07:45 PM

right i've gone a purchased 20 and 1 kpots, if i connected them in series between pins 7 (the fb right?) and one of the ground pins (or should it be something properly grounded like the case?) and keep them on max and slightly adjust them (checking the temps/volts) that should be ok?
Old 20th February, 2007, 07:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfy
right i've gone a purchased 20 and 1 kpots, if i connected them in series between pins 7 (the fb right?) and one of the ground pins (or should it be something properly grounded like the case?) and keep them on max and slightly adjust them (checking the temps/volts) that should be ok?
Yes, the FB pin is pin 7. Use a ground pin or trace somewhere near the chip. You can pick up a convenient ground on pin 13 or 14. Do NOT use chassis ground. Theoretically the chassis will be at the same potential as ground on the board, but that's not guaranteed.

Be very careful with the pots as you adjust them. Getting too low of a value could result in destroying your board. Since I can't see the value of the feedback resistor from the photographs, I can't even make a guess what value you should use.
Old 20th February, 2007, 09:18 PM

well i've measured teh resistance between fb and grnd and that seems to be roughly 200k ohm if that's any god to you
Old 20th February, 2007, 09:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Measure the resistance between FB and VDIFF (pin 7 and pin 10).
Old 20th February, 2007, 10:48 PM

Old 16th October, 2007, 09:37 AM

hello all, a question about pencil vmod: how much does it increase voltage?
Old 16th October, 2007, 03:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That entirely depends on how much pencil you apply.

The whole idea of the pencil mod is to keep applying it a bit at a time until you get to the voltage you want.
Old 16th October, 2007, 03:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

The lead on the pencil has a certain amount of conductance. As you add more it conducts more or lowers the resistance. There is a measure point where you must check the voltage as you do this.
Old 17th October, 2007, 02:05 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank goodness I'm an ace at de/soldering micro components. Yeah, in another dimension somewhere. Hat's off to you brave experimental types!
Old 17th October, 2007, 08:52 AM

where can i find some pics about "asus 7600gs silent 512mb" pencil vmod?
thank you!
Old 17th October, 2007, 12:35 PM

Try this.

Voltmod ASUS 7600GS - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!
Old 17th October, 2007, 08:19 PM

thank you very much!
Old 20th October, 2007, 04:27 PM

Let us know how it comes out.
Old 27th October, 2007, 11:54 AM

VMod for Leadtek Winfast 7600GT/AGP/256MB/Nr.LR2A57

Hi Phatic

can YOU give me some hints for this card, so I can do the VoltMods for GPU and Mem ?

(have red Your guide and many articles in forum Kaltmacher,forumdeluxx,VR-zone and AOA)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DIY volt-mod guide-ldt-winf_7600gt_agp.jpg  
Old 28th October, 2007, 02:53 AM

Did the Vmod with RT9259A but no more MHz

Hi again Phatic

did the VMod for the Leadtek Winfast 7600GT AGP, found the RT9259A and as You describe in Your Guide,
I set an 10 KOhm Poti between Pin 4 and ground and
tried Total-Ohms between 310 Ohm (Stock 372 Ohm)
and 345 Ohm but the none OC-results was better then before !
What can i do ? Please give me a hint.
Old 28th October, 2007, 03:15 AM

Welcome to AOA.

He may pop in later.

You may have reached the max of the card.

Did you check to see if the volts actually went up?

Tags
volt mod , voltages