AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th February, 2007, 03:48 PM
Steve Jobs

TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions

Picked it up yesterday, and when I say that, I mean with a trolley. This thing has 60lbs gross written on the side, but it feels a bit more like 80.

The box itself is about 4 feet X 4 feet X 1.5 feet. It doesn't fit into a BMW 525i, and had to be carted home with the boot propped open.

Initial setup was good, the 3.5" drive caddy is very nice, especially since it can be removed from the front as well as the back, removing the need to pull a long graphics card out to gain access to your disks.

5.25" mounts were brilliant, and completely tool free, just snapping in and out brilliantly with a nice locating system.

Water cooling setup took about two hours from deconstruction of the old case to assembly of the new one. Most of this was understanding how the instructions related to my slightly odd motherboard, and carefully adjusting the mounting bracket so as to not bend the capacitors on my AV8, which are still actually rubbing.

The pump / res / radiator are all very beautifully made, with a quality of fit that I have come to expect from everything bearing the ThermalTake brand.

More than enough piping was provided, and the barbs and clamps were all very simple, and extremely secure. After some initial problems bleeding the system due to the height of the CPU and the amount of tubing I used, the circuit went together well, and after a few minutes all the bubbles were gone, and the system was going like gravy.

Temperatures before the cooler upgrade were on the high side:

Ambient 26C
2000Mhz Idle = 43C
2000Mhz loaded = 55C
2500Mhz loaded = 63C

After the watercooling installation:

Ambient 26C
2000Mhz idle = 32C
2000Mhz loaded = 36C
2500Mhz loaded = 38C

CPU is a Wincheter core 3200+ Athlon 64

I'm actually very happy with it.

The case is about 6-8 inches longer than my previous case, TT Xaser II 6000, and fits a full size ATX board with plenty of room to access IDE connectors on the edge of the board.

The fans are: 3X 120mm front on radiator (intake), 1X 140mm at rear (exhaust), 1X 92mm beside PSU (exhaust), 1X 92mm blowhole. (exhaust)

The case is virtually silent, and the only noise made is a very low, satisfying rush of air sound, much like a household fan.

It does go very, very nicely with a pair of Dell 24" monitors too, as you can see, the colours are perfectly matched

More to come.

1: ThermalTake Kandalf box
2: ThermalTake Kandalf inside its box
3: ThermalTake Kandalf with Watercooling loot inside the case
4: ThermalTake Kandalf Loot
5: Empty Kandalf beside full Xaser II 6000
Attached Thumbnails
TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00958.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00959.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00960.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00962.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00963.jpg  

Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 4th February, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2007, 03:56 PM
Steve Jobs

Further images,

1: The loot that came with the Kandalf LCS
2: The Kandalf all connected up, ready for some water
3: Kandalf running on the floor, surrounded by Thermaltake Loot, and a Dell 2407WFP (the partially defective one)
4: Dsio's workstation, Dual 2407WFP LCDs, Kandalf (off) and 19" AOC CRT on right.
5: TT Kandalf side on, watercooling system installed inside, running windows for testing, as Abit thermal monitoring does not work at all under linux.
Attached Thumbnails
TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00965.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00966.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00968.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00969.jpg   TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-dsc00972.jpg  

Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2007, 04:55 PM
AOA Staff

Performs better than mine, but you'd expect that given your rad has 3 x 120mm fans compared to my 3 x 80mm.
Attached Thumbnails
TT Kandalf Watercooled Case Impressions-img_0452_2.jpg  
Old 4th February, 2007, 05:18 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Awesome system you got there dsio!

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th February, 2007, 05:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Now thats a mans work space

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attac...1&d=1170600836

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th February, 2007, 05:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

First I've seen of this type! (Front loader on the W/C-ing)
Looks great! What's not to like?!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th February, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 4th February, 2007, 06:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hoowee, that is one singular case, very impressive!
Old 4th February, 2007, 09:45 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
First I've seen of this type! (Front loader on the W/C-ing)
Looks great! What's not to like?!
I've loved the idea of front mounting a radiatior for a long time now. Interestingly enough I first saw the idea here at AOA. Our very own WIld_Andy_C I think had a Chieftec type case, with the front drive cages removed and a dual 120mm radiator mounted in their place. It seamed so clean, so neat, and so logical that I was tempted to do that to my own Chieftec based Xaser II 6000, but there just wasn't enough front to back room.

The Kandalf design of mounting it in the door is not only very neart, but it keeps it seperate of the rest of the case and completely hidden. There are no external bits, no ugly parts or half thought-through ideas, its just a clean, all in one solution, but unlike every other all in one solution I've seen, this one is well and truly overkill in every sense.

Thermaltake demonstrated at a technology show recently that they could cool two ATI X1950XT/CF cards, overclocked to hell, along with a 4Ghz+ Conroe, a Northbridge, and the mobo MOSFETs with this 500L/hour pump, 360mm radiator combo and still have cooling power to burn, so it really is a big change over previous integrated WC setups.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 4th February, 2007, 10:05 PM
AOA Staff

The price is a serious selling point!
Old 4th February, 2007, 10:06 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

How much will it set us UK dwellers back, Danrok?

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 4th February, 2007, 10:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I just took a look and Koolance has dropped it's prices! How much is the TT Kandalf case going for ?

I wonder if they are creating price pressure on Koolance, if so, it's about Time!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Last edited by Daniel ~; 4th February, 2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 4th February, 2007, 11:25 PM
Steve Jobs

I paid about $370 AUD for it. That's the steel one (black). The aluminium one is $430 AUD, and having compared the two, the aluminium one is not worth the extra $60, as it has an extremely scratchable and soft finish, and weighs 90% of the steel one anyway.

The Xaser II aluminium was half the weight of its stell brother, this just isn't the case with the Kandalf as the radiator, WC setup, drive racks, and mounting plates are still the bulk of the weight. So the aluminium case, only has about 10% aluminium in it, by the looks of it just the front door panel.

The black steel case is US$280 (newegg)
The silver aluminium case is US$325 (newegg)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 4th February, 2007, 11:31 PM
Steve Jobs

I'm planning on purchasing the Northbridge waterblock, the GPU waterblock, the GPU ram waterblock, the extra 750cc 5.25" mounted resovior with built in temp monitor, and the flow rate sensor as well. I found a local computer enthusiast store that seams to be going out of business and clearing all their niche stock (WC hardware.)

It should also be noted that all fittings used in the Kandalf LCS system are 3/8".

The earler thermaltake units used some weird fitting sizes like 1/4" and 5/16", but this one does use a standard 3/8" hose and barb so using other brand parts, pipes and fittings is not a problem. Also, the 500L/h pump is a very capable device, and a major step away from Thermaltake's old watercooling pumps which were rather lacklustre, at 150L/h (Aquarius II) 200-300L/h (some big waters). The pump is solid, runs cool, makes no noise audible over the gentle wooshing of the 140mm/120mm fans and feels very solid and strong.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 5th February, 2007, 01:15 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favu
How much will it set us UK dwellers back, Danrok?
There's one here for £165:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-045-TT

Alternatively, the Lian-Li here for £393:
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=605587

The Lian-Li is aluminium though. The overall design is better, but I doubt it actually performs any better than the TT.

Last edited by danrok; 5th February, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 5th February, 2007, 05:17 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Nice case DSIO. but what's up with that PSU?
Old 5th February, 2007, 07:22 PM

^ thinking the same.

That said; very nice, but didnt your mother tell you to clean up after yourself?? Lord almighty that work space is scary...
Old 6th February, 2007, 03:34 AM
Steve Jobs

That PSU was hacked by its previous owner who used it in a custom case for hard disks / optical drives while using it to run 4X 120W Peltier elements in a stack arrangement. The internals are even weirder than the external wiring (its speaker wire if you were curious).
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th February, 2007, 03:36 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperah
^ thinking the same.

That said; very nice, but didnt your mother tell you to clean up after yourself?? Lord almighty that work space is scary...
Watercooled Athlon 64 + dual 24" LCDS >>>>> Clean desk
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 6th February, 2007, 10:25 AM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

All that black but sadly a plain white keyboard, you need a black keyboard to compliment everything on that desk. Nice case and setup btw Dsio
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home

Last edited by Got EpOx; 6th February, 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 6th February, 2007, 11:06 AM
Steve Jobs

I have a black keyboard. 4 in fact. Not a single one of them has ever been as good as that white one. There isn't a single good black keyboard made anymore, since my 1986 IBM one died.

I've tried them all. Logitech, Mircosoft, etc etc. They all suck.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah