AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th July, 2007, 08:05 PM
AOA Staff

Wow! that is an insane tutorial. Thanks Gizmo for taking the time to take pictures and post it. So very informative. I don't think I could do that with such confidence. I would end up guessing and destroying all of it.
Now I know who to ask when a drive stops working.
Did you pay yourself $25 for the article?
PlayOnLinux 4.2.10
Linux Guides: PC Games Linux Beginners Tips Linux Games List
Mack Truck Dungeon Of Fire Spray Booth Tutorial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2007, 08:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman
Did you pay yourself $25 for the article?
Heh, no. Daniel ~ doesn't pay his slaves.....err, servants.......err, well, we don't get paid.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th July, 2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Heh, no. Daniel ~ doesn't pay his slaves.....err, servants.......err, well, we don't get paid.
Daniel's a big, fat meanie.
Old 9th July, 2007, 10:38 PM
AOA Staff

Pay is for mere mortals.
Old 10th July, 2007, 02:49 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Which is why I'm always broke, which you why you get titles rather than money, well half of it, the other half is that you might want to go off site to spend it...

I just can't see where that would benefit any one.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th August, 2007, 05:35 AM

Interesting guide there gizmo. I was wondering if you are familiar with the seminars given at some of the hacker conferences on this kind of thing?
Old 7th August, 2007, 03:12 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I know of them; I've never been to one. One of these days I'd really like to get to one of those hacker conferences, though. I'd probably be a bit out of place; a 40-something amongst a bunch of people half my age. LOL
Old 7th August, 2007, 03:34 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I wouldn't assume that they're all 20-somethings you know.
Old 7th August, 2007, 03:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

There might be some teens there too.....LOL
Old 7th August, 2007, 06:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just go as a Fed! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th August, 2007, 01:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

i recently had a 400 gig WD drive crash on me after months of controller issues. when i bought it, i went noah style (2 of every kind) and i wanted to swap the platters. i called a data recovery company and they said its not a good idea that i do it because a standard drive has multiple platters inside that need to be aligned at the microscopic level. i'm sure he also didn't want me to save $995 and swap platters successfully.

moral of the story: always have backups. IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU...SOMEDAY. i never followed what i preached.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 24th August, 2007, 04:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

It depends. I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that modern drives don't have the microscopic alignment requirement. In the old days when one drive platter was actually dedicated to the servo data, that was for certain true. However, the servo data for maintaining tracking are embedded with the regular data stream now, so I don't believe that the platter-to-platter alignment is as critical as it used to be.
Old 1st March, 2008, 11:51 AM

Hi!
Thanks for a great guide!
Whould you have any idea if this might work on a ThinkPad 80 GB 5400 rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive?
I think it consist of two platters..

Thanks for reply!
Old 1st March, 2008, 05:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

A two platter drive is almost guaranteed not to work, from what I understand. The main reason for this is that the drive makes certain assumptions about the positioning of the data on each platter (I think some drives may even read from the platters in parallel for improved data transfer performance). If you don't keep relative positioning of the two platters, things don't work right. AIUI, there are timing marks on the platters that data recovery houses can use to ensure the proper alignment of the platters when they have to swap the media, but reading those marks requires equipment and knowledge that I don't possess.