AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2007, 12:27 PM

Zen Xtra

This was originally posted in General Hardware but it's been suggested I try here :
Posted 15/11/07
I finally got round to changing the drive in my mp3 player. Physically swapping the drive and reloading the firmware, dead easy, no problems....or so I thought. I'd copied over 5000 tracks over to my pc's drive and transferred the lot back. On playback the speed kept fluctuating and there was also a little popping and clicking. I've replaced the original 30gb drive and the replacement 80gb has been put in a caddy and appears to be fine. Question is, what would cause the problem? Is it possible that the drive wasn't spinning at a constant speed and if so will it cause any problem being used as an external storage drive? Sorry for the rather long explanation.

Update 18/11/07
Not to worry about the question. I had another 80gb drive exactly the same (long story) and figured I'd try that one. Reckon the 'plays for ******' firmware should be renamed as I fear I've now murdered my zen xtra, just unable to load it as just tells me that the device is not connected and I see a few others have been stuck at this point. Whatever i've tried makes no difference, a lesson has been learned One good thing is that over the last few days I've actually gone back to listening to full albums rather than grazing tunes with the zen on shuffle. If anyone has any other solutions than the ones already posted I'll give it a go, in the meantime I will remain without an mp3 player.

I had originally tried an older version of the firmware with only the playback issues. Decided to try the updated plays for sure firmware which is when I came up against the device not connected problem. Any help appreciated, cheers.