AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th April, 2002, 12:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

Unlocking a AMD XP1900+

Is it possible to unlock a AMD XP1900+? If so, how. And whats the danger involved?
Old 9th April, 2002, 09:54 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

its doable,

you need to connect the L1 bridges, as with all other athlons, just on an XP there is a safeguard to stop it being done by an average joe... there are little pits cut into the surface down to a conductive copper layer, so a "regular" unock attempt will always fail. you need to fill these pits somehow, (i used superglue) and then connect the bridges using conductive ink (pencil wont work, aparantly the current is too high)

i've attempted it a few times, only messed up on my last attempt, but havent fried anything yet

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2002, 11:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

I have heard about kits that do it. I know some one (Spyder) that has used a kit. Do you know about these things?
Old 11th April, 2002, 03:21 PM

Although I think his site is a bit crap there is a great guide and video at www.tomshardware.com

I used the superglue/conductive paint method and it turned out fine.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th April, 2002, 07:47 PM

How many times has this question been asked? And answered?
Old 12th April, 2002, 12:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's what we're here for Wally, Imagine the loss in OUR HITS!!! if we only needed to answer a question once! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th April, 2002, 05:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

LOL- i agree w/ Daniel on this one- i need a new kit- but cant rember where to get one- anyone know?? There realy nice cause u can remove them if u fry the chip :-D
Spyder:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 16th April, 2002, 12:49 AM

I could use one of those thingys that Spyder is talking about Where!
Old 16th April, 2002, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
I could use one of those thingys that Spyder is talking about Where!
I don't know if those have been proven to work well yet. They were one some Korean cell phone website.

And Dano, didn't wanna step on any toes, it's just that this has been asked all sorts of times, and answered, in the AMD forums.
Old 16th April, 2002, 06:32 AM

There are always 5 newbies for one learned person :-D:-D
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 20th April, 2002, 11:47 AM
BongWater

For what its worth, the kits that HighSpeedPC sells do work and are cheap. And as mentioned, ya just wipe away ur mistakes.

BongWater
Old 22nd April, 2002, 03:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

I just looked at that kit. Let me get this right. You make the bridges with conductive goo?

Couldn't you skip the slot filling part by simply putting a tiny dot of the goo on each contact, and making the bridge with a very thin strand of wire? the goo would hold it there, and you could paint the center of each piece with clear nail polish just in case it could arc. (Not bloody likely) I might give it a shot.
Old 22nd April, 2002, 05:06 AM

That would work......... but i would have better piece of mine filling the gaps incase anything got in there and shorted it out- i would never have precice enought hands to do that job-
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd April, 2002, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Azriel
I just looked at that kit. Let me get this right. You make the bridges with conductive goo?

Couldn't you skip the slot filling part by simply putting a tiny dot of the goo on each contact, and making the bridge with a very thin strand of wire? the goo would hold it there, and you could paint the center of each piece with clear nail polish just in case it could arc. (Not bloody likely) I might give it a shot.
You have no idea what you're asking. I tried to do that with a Spitfire Duron. Grabbed some stranded speaker wire. I figured the individual wires in the strand were tiny, and they'd work. They did, but it was a real bear to do. I used some clear nail polish to attach the wires. First I tried doing all four at once, but they kept moving around before it could dry. I even taped them down. So I tried doing them one at a time, gluing one down, then scraping the excess nail polish off the bridges, and doing it again with the next one. Wasn't easy AT ALL. And it would be harder with the XPs, where they have a gap.
Old 8th May, 2002, 08:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dmdstar

I used the kit from www.highspeedpc.com. It took several tries, but it worked (see my sig).

The only problem with that goo is that it doesn't dry, so you have to be very careful not to touch that part of the processor after you get it done.

Abit AN7
XP 2600+ @ 2.3Ghz (210x11)

512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR (2x256MB)
Radeon 9800 Pro @ 400/365
Hitachi 7K250 120GB SATA
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80GB ATA133
Old 8th May, 2002, 08:59 PM

Why did you lower the mulitplyer?
Old 8th May, 2002, 09:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dmdstar

Quote:
Originally posted by SiGmA_X
Why did you lower the mulitplyer?
Oh man.. that's the whole PURPOSE of unlocking it. What you want to do is lower the multiplier as far as it will go first... then crank the Front Side Bus as high as it will go... Once you've found the highest stable FSB, then inch the multiplier up until it will go no more.

You get far more performance out of upping the FSB than the multiplier. If you'll notice mine's at 185Mhz (where normal is 133Mhz) ... putting my multi at 9.5 gives me over 2100+ speed. :-D ... (and REALLY over 2100 speed because of the cranked FSB!!) ... this thing is sooo fast! I was using it at 190 x 9, but wasn't quite as stable at 190.

Note... my VCore is at 1.9 also to help with stability. (could raise it more, I suppose, but it scares me )

Abit AN7
XP 2600+ @ 2.3Ghz (210x11)

512MB Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR (2x256MB)
Radeon 9800 Pro @ 400/365
Hitachi 7K250 120GB SATA
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80GB ATA133

Last edited by dmdstar; 8th May, 2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 8th May, 2002, 09:59 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

i managed to RMA one that had been unlocked didnt even clean the ink off! but it was obvious why it died..... i drenched the thing! nice big burns where the water shorted the L1's so i guess they knew it wasnt my poor unlocking

also killed the mobo!!!

blame it on bobbinz!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."

Last edited by Random Nonsense; 8th May, 2002 at 10:01 PM.
Old 9th May, 2002, 06:03 AM

Now thats just mean........ Joking.... nice job.... were going to unlock his cpu this weekend using my highspeedpc.com kit- did wonders for my 1600 :-D
Spyder
AOA Team fah
Old 9th May, 2002, 08:57 PM

Did you see Spyders 1600 speeds? DAMN. 1.823GHz is HELLA fast. Do you think I can get my XP 1900+ to 2GHz?