AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2008, 05:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Build your own Cantenna

The folks at Icrontic take us on an adventure to build a 'cantenna', a device to enhance your wireless capabilities under certain conditions:

Have you ever been stuck outside of your fixed wireless network range left wondering what to do about it? Want to try a fun and easy little DIY project that works as a cheap, reliable alternative to a wireless repeater? Do what I did and build yourself a Cantenna! I was in a sticky situation recently. We had switched from a wired network to a wireless network, and I had just acquired a Nintendo Wii. However, our new wireless router, for whatever reason, did not put out a strong enough signal for either the Wii or my laptop to connect with. What to do, oh please God, tell me what to do!

Read more on the Front Page:
Build your own Cantenna
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2008, 11:03 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's probably easier and cheaper to build a Parabolic reflector and shove that behind the antenna than building a cantenna. Certainly the people who have reckon that a deep parabolic reflector outperforms a cantenna.

On the other hand, putting an antenna on a machine generally helps, as most laptops have a not so good internal antenna.
Old 25th January, 2008, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

We used to build these using a Pringles can. They truly rock

Last edited by Samuknow; 25th January, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2010, 10:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Oldie and Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
The folks at Icrontic take us on an adventure to build a 'cantenna', a device to enhance your wireless capabilities under certain conditions:

Have you ever been stuck outside of your fixed wireless network range left wondering what to do about it? Want to try a fun and easy little DIY project that works as a cheap, reliable alternative to a wireless repeater? Do what I did and build yourself a Cantenna! I was in a sticky situation recently. We had switched from a wired network to a wireless network, and I had just acquired a Nintendo Wii. However, our new wireless router, for whatever reason, did not put out a strong enough signal for either the Wii or my laptop to connect with. What to do, oh please God, tell me what to do!

Read more on the Front Page:
Build your own Cantenna

This deserves another look, especially when money is tight!
Old 30th December, 2010, 12:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I love this thing. Built one a long time ago. Works great. Even better if you have one on each end. Great range.
Old 1st January, 2011, 09:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Home high tech on a budget, love it!