AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2008, 10:31 AM

help needed overclocking a KVM

I have just bought an Edimax EK-4PAK 4-port KVM switch, and while acceptable in operation, it's a tad slow responding - it takes around half a second to switch the video, and then another second or so until the keyboard and mouse work. Is it likely that overclocking it could, as well as being fun, fix this, and if so does anyone have any idea how I would go about doing this?

Thanks for any help,

- Tevildo

Rig 2: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ABit IX38 Quad GT m/board, 2Gb Corsair DDR2 PC6400, Nvidia 8800GTX 768Mb. All at stock for now...

Folding for
AOA Team fah

Gambia, oh Gambia,
though only small and thin,
when it comes to being called Gambia,
you're the one to win.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2008, 11:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

How fast do you want it to switch?

Is the slow switching of the video a factor of your monitor? Remember that the monitor has to resynchronise with the new video signal.

If the KVM is a PS2 varient, it can take a little time for the PS2 signals to resynchronise, depending on the design of the KVM.
Old 5th February, 2008, 01:34 PM

It is indeed a PS2 variant, so yeah, those could be the causes. Seems the only thing overclocking could do would be decrease the required wait between hitting scroll lock first and second times. It's currently a minimum of around 1/4 of a second. Hardly seems worth O/Cing just to reduce that... no, wait, yes it does

And I'd have thought the PS2 connections should have synchronised by the time the video has... but meh, it's more time I don't have to actually reply to emails, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Thanks for your help,

- Tevildo

Rig 2: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, ABit IX38 Quad GT m/board, 2Gb Corsair DDR2 PC6400, Nvidia 8800GTX 768Mb. All at stock for now...

Folding for
AOA Team fah

Gambia, oh Gambia,
you're the one to win.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2008, 01:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

The other thing you can do is move the mouse before you switch. I have to do this from time to time. It makes sure that all the inputs are paying attention. Try it and see if it helps.
Old 5th February, 2008, 02:00 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's nothing stopping you from overclocking it, but it will probably require soldering skills. PCs often use a clock synthesiser to generate various clock signals from a master crystal, but a simple device like a KVM can use the signal from a crystal directly. You'd need to replace that crystal with another (or better still, a programmable synthesiser).

The 1/4 second wait is probably deliberate to ensure that the KVM isn't accidently activated.

Last edited by Áedán; 5th February, 2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11th February, 2008, 05:21 PM

Soldering skills are not a problem, I get paid a small amount of money to be able to solder I may not try this on my work KVM though, as it's somewhat important and doesn't technically belong to me. Bring on payday so I can buy one for myself

- Tevildo

Folding for
AOA Team fah

Gambia, oh Gambia,
you're the one to win.
Old 11th February, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If the KVM has any kind of OSD capability (to tell you what channel you are on, or whatever) then overclocking it will almost certainly mess that up. It MIGHT mess up mouse and keyboard comms as well, depending on how the PS/2 communication logic is implemented.

Last edited by Gizmo; 11th February, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 22nd February, 2008, 09:57 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sometimes answers that indicate that it's probably best to leave well alone are good. Think of the lead fumes not inhaled!