AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th April, 2008, 07:39 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Red face Intel E 4600 OC

Hello lads/girls !!!

As Ali would say "me got me CPU changed!" It's not big deal but I am kinda disapointed. I had E4300 @ 3 Ghz. This was a nice OC if you think that the default speed is 1,8 Ghz.

I got yesterday this E4600 with a default speed of 2,4 Ghz. However I wasn't counting on it's higher clock when I had in mind to reach 3.5 or something but I was counting on lowering the FSB because this little monster has a 12x MP instead of 9x. To reach 3 Ghz I was running a 333FSB.

To reach 3 Ghz with E4600 I only need a 250FSB and is stable. But if I go to 266 which would be 3,2Ghz it becames unstable. I upped the CPU v to 1,4 with no success. What is interesting is that 266FSB makes it 1:1 with my mem (1066) and I see some great results in sandra and stuff.

When I say unstable it's like if I go in a game or even in desktop sometimes in less than 10 min I get a blue screen with some MACHINE error.

You guys have any ideea what could be wrong? I have a great cooler and the CPU doesn't overheat at all. I don't think I've hit the max potential of this CPU. Thanks

My mobo: MB Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L, iP31, LGA775, FSB 1333, ATX, 1xPCI-E x16, 1xPCI-E x4, 2xPCI, Dual DDR2-1066, 4xS-ATAII, U-DMA 133, SB 8ch.&Lan on board
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2008, 03:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Try setting your mem back to default. See what the cpu will reach and get the memory out of the equation. I did that with my 6400 and it made it to 3.3 on 1.25 volts. I can get the me at to 950 stable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th April, 2008, 03:43 PM
Benchmarker

Memory is 1066 why would I set it back? However I will try it. Thanks
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 24th April, 2008, 04:02 PM

The Northbridge is the common denominator between the CPU and memory. It uses multipliers (straps) to achieve a FSB of 266 and memory speed of 1066. Just as a CPU will like a certain setup the Northbridge will act in the same manner. Find the sweet spot of the Northbridge then work the CPU and memory around it.
Old 24th April, 2008, 09:15 PM
Benchmarker

Yeah it's not the memory. What do you mean CC? Give me some examples pls?

Old 25th April, 2008, 01:30 PM
Benchmarker

Come on guys, what could be wrong?

Any ideea is much appreciated !

Chris

Old 25th April, 2008, 02:50 PM

Try getting the spread between the memory speed and the CPU FSB a little closer. Drop down a memory divider then see if the CPU will go any higher, if it does you can always bring the memory back to 1066 by dropping the CPU multiplier and running the FSB up again.
Old 28th April, 2008, 09:30 PM
Benchmarker

Neah no go. FSB 310x10 and no go with mem under 1066. It goes into windows but then crashes. So, not even 3,1 Ghz. ?? What could be wrong?

Old 28th April, 2008, 09:37 PM

Have you tried a 9x mult? You might have a spot your FSB does not like to run at. try 9*333
Old 29th April, 2008, 02:35 AM

I had a DFI Infinity 975X that would do 400FSB with an E6300, when I tried an E6700 in the board it gave up at 350 regardless of settings or multiplier.

I heard the issues was resolved in a bios update but I had already sold the board and CPU so was never able to find out.
Old 29th April, 2008, 11:20 AM

My EVGA 680i board has done whatever FSB I ask on this 6400. Right now it is at 465...I am working my way to 500.
Old 25th May, 2008, 08:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sometimes a slight upgrade in processors doesn't really benefit your performance. How you doin' with this E4600, Chris?
Old 26th May, 2008, 03:21 AM

It almost doubled his score because the OC is so high on these things...
Old 26th May, 2008, 06:41 AM
Benchmarker

I gave that back and replace it with 8400. It makes the difference !