AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2009, 06:20 PM

overclocking intel p4

i have an intel p4 2.8 and i am trying to overclock it to 3.4. I have a biostar p4m900 with 478 socket. can anybody help me
Old 22nd September, 2009, 06:37 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I don't have any experience with that motherboard, but generally, the idea is to SLOWLY increase the FSB and test the system stability at each step.

Unless the CPU and/or mobo is a real dog, you can probably get to 3.4 pretty easily.

Do you know what core that P4 has (northwood, prescott, etc.)?

Also, what kind of RAM and CPU cooler do you have?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2009, 01:45 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymd View Post
i have an intel p4 2.8 and i am trying to overclock it to 3.4. I have a biostar p4m900 with 478 socket. can anybody help me
I remember when researching my old P4 that the revision, socket type & make (Northwood, Prescott, etc) made a big diff on what the CPU was capable of doing & the heat it would generate being OCed.

So the info asked for by Giz is really important as to how to go about OCing this beast...

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 23rd September, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2009, 10:14 AM

i have a nothwood intel p4 socket 478 with pc3200 DDr2. with water cooling.
I tried to increase the fsb but it is locked i can't change it in the bios
Old 27th September, 2009, 05:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Right, for that mobo, I would recommend the following:

Go into Performance Booster menu. You will see a number of options in there. Among them will be
DRAM Clock/Drive Control
CPU Clock
Spread Spectrum

I want you to go into Spread Spectrum and set it to 'disabled'.

Then go to CPU Clock. Tell me what it is set to. (I'm guessing 200)
Go to CPU Clock Ratio. Tell me what that is set to. (I'm guessing 14)

You SHOULD be able to adjust CPU clock slowly and increase your CPU speed, although you may have to bump your CPU voltage a bit in later stages. Unfortunately, according to the manual for that mobo, you only have two voltage options:
+0.012v
+0.787v

That second setting is a really large jump, and not one I'd recommend. (Someone with more experience overclocking Northwoods might have a different opinion though). Be sure to pay very, VERY close attention to your temps while you're doing this. Anything over about 50C and I start getting very nervous. Over 55C I don't venture. Bear in mind that although the CPU is rated for up to 70C (I think), the threshold of stable operation changes (drops) as you increase the voltage and/or clock speed.

Last edited by Gizmo; 27th September, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 26th October, 2009, 09:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The +0.787v looks like a bridge WAY too far for comfort. The CPU's comfort, I mean. I hope that tinymd didn't overvolt himself or her self out of a working PC!

Last edited by cloasters; 26th October, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 27th October, 2009, 06:34 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
The +0.787v looks like a bridge WAY too far for comfort. The CPU's comfort, I mean. I hope that tinymd didn't overvolt himself or her self out of a working PC!
Who knows cloasters as he/she hasn't been back since so I'm gathering it worked for them & that's all the info they needed & left, or they burned up their stuff...

You know, when you go out of you way to dig up info for someone & post it, the least they could do is say thanks
or give some kind of response back...
But this doesn't seem to be the case most times sadly enough....

So I'll say it...
"Thanks a bunch Gizmo for the great info!"

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 27th October, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 25th October, 2010, 08:29 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A big thank you to Gizmo and MUff1N, two of my favorite folks in the neighborhood!
Old 26th October, 2010, 05:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Is it Chris in disguise? Quite the necro skills. Almost a year to the day.
Old 3rd November, 2010, 10:41 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Ahh damn u to heaven Sam, why did u mentioned my name see what you made me do?

George I thought you was having some memories removed since me was your fav lad?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Tags
overclocking