AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2010, 07:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

bulging/leaking caps

So I have my dad's monitor, a soyo mt-pc-dylm22r6 21.5" LCD monitor. He brought it to me because it no longer says on. When plugged in and after the power button is pressed you see the power indicator light turn on, the screen flashes and then a noise is made of the speakers of the monitor and the screen is off. This loop is continuously made until the power button is pressed again.

After opening up the monitor and getting the power supply out I found two caps that are swollen and one leaking. What are the chances that these two caps are the issue with this monitor? If the caps are indeed the culprit can they be replaced? If so, how?
Attached Thumbnails
bulging/leaking caps-100_0324.jpg   bulging/leaking caps-100_0325.jpg   bulging/leaking caps-100_0331.jpg  

Last edited by WonderBread; 8th December, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2010, 10:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's entirely possible that the caps are the problem: they appear to be part of the output filter on the switcher.

You're looking at 105 degree, 1,000 uF, 16v capacitors. Something like Digi-Key - P12366-ND (Manufacturer - EEU-FM1C102) would probably be a suitable replacement. I'd go ahead and replace all 4.

Last edited by Gizmo; 8th December, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th December, 2010, 02:40 AM

how would I go about removing the old ones from the board?

Last edited by WonderBread; 9th December, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 9th December, 2010, 03:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No offence intended, dude, but if you have to ask that question, you need to get the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing.

You need a soldering iron and either some solder braid or a desoldering iron.
Old 9th December, 2010, 04:29 AM

lol, I knew that part. I just wasn't sure if there was a special process required which is why I asked the question.
Old 9th December, 2010, 05:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Shouldn't be anything special; they are just standard through-hole parts.

I find that removing capacitors can sometimes be a bit challenging simply because the power/ground planes tend to make excellent heat sinks. As a result, getting the solder hot enough to flow all the way through can sometimes be difficult, as can cleaning the hole sufficiently to allow insertion of the leads of the replacement parts.
Old 9th December, 2010, 06:40 AM

Alright, thanks Gizmo. Once I get the caps I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 9th December, 2010, 04:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Power planes, as Gizmo suggests, are a pain to work on because they are good heatsinks and pull the heat away from the soldering iron. Hence you tend to end up needing a more powerful soldering iron in order to melt the solder! (No, that doesn't mean you need one that could do double duty on plumbing either)
Old 9th December, 2010, 05:01 PM

how strong of a soldering iron should I use? I know for a fact the one I have isn't going to cut it so I was planning on picking one up.
Old 9th December, 2010, 06:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

60 watts or so should probably be sufficient. For something like this (heating up power/ground plane), a chisel tip tends to be useful, too.
Old 9th December, 2010, 08:37 PM

I've got the caps off now. Just waiting to get the replacements.

When it comes to soldering the new caps on is there solder that I should use over another or will any high-tech/electronics solder work?

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
bulging/leaking caps-100_0333.jpg   bulging/leaking caps-100_0334.jpg  
Old 9th December, 2010, 10:02 PM

Hello, I am new to the site, mainly becasue I have been trying to track down how to fix this same problem Please WonderBread keep us up to date on your progress here. I would very much like to not put my monitor in the recycle bin.

Last edited by cj152290; 9th December, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: grammer errors
Old 9th December, 2010, 10:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBread View Post
I've got the caps off now. Just waiting to get the replacements.

When it comes to soldering the new caps on is there solder that I should use over another or will any high-tech/electronics solder work?

Pics:
Yeah, pretty much any standard electronics solder should work fine.
Old 9th December, 2010, 10:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj152290 View Post
Hello, I am new to the site, mainly becasue I have been trying to track down how to fix this same problem Please WonderBread keep us up to date on your progress here. I would very much like to not put my monitor in the recycle bin.
Welcome to the site! We hope you enjoy your stay!
Old 10th December, 2010, 12:30 AM

Ok, So I just got home from work and I do have one bulging capacitor, I found two likely replacements at frys electronics here in town. but am unsure which of them is correct the only difference I see is the cost and one says 1000MFD and the other 100MFD, but both are CAPACITOR, 105 DEG C, 16V, RADIAL.
I also found someone to do the solder work as I am novice when it come to soldering. ( I have only soldered wires and have never touched a printed board.)
Old 10th December, 2010, 03:40 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You need to verify that the voltage and capacitance of the bad part matches the voltage and capacitance of the parts you are getting from Fry's. Replacing a capacitor is not like swapping a light bulb - not just any old part will do.
Old 10th December, 2010, 04:11 PM

I cross referenced the 1000µF 16V that you linked at the top from digi. I also brought in the PSU to Frys and verified with the salesman there. I was surprised that he was very knowledgeable. Unfortunately they were out of stock on it and he referred me to another place here in town. Im on my way there in a few. Thanks for the concern.
Old 11th December, 2010, 05:01 AM

Funny frys didn't have them where you're at. i checked yesterday after school at my local frys and they were out of stock as well. i was trying to avoid having to buy them online.
SAMSUNG-SGH-T669/T669UVJD9 SHP/VPP/R5 Dolfin/1.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1
Old 11th December, 2010, 02:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I have had good luck finding caps and other electronic parts i.e. thermistors and such on ebay. Usually really cheap and have had great luck.

Last edited by Samuknow; 11th December, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 14th December, 2010, 04:50 PM

Hey Gizmo, Digi-Key is giving problems when ordering so I was looking elsewhere and I found these: 12pcs Rubycon ZL 1000uf 16v 105C Radial Capacitor NEW - eBay (item 200525500831 end time Dec-28-10 17:51:47 PST)

Will these work for replacements?