AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd May, 2002, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Iceman

How do i overclock?

Hows it done?
Old 2nd May, 2002, 11:33 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

take a look in your threads in FWIW!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2002, 04:59 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Hey Iceman,
Welcome home.

First thing we need to know is, what kinda computer do you have? AMD or Intel?

Please start with that.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st May, 2002, 05:06 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Welcome Iceman! It will take a bit to get the hang of it. Try reading the forums for a while, ask questions when you don't understand, we're an easy going bunch and don't mind getting a guy started a guy started":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 11th August, 2003, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Welcome Iceman! It will take a bit to get the hang of it. Try reading the forums for a while, ask questions when you don't understand, we're an easy going bunch and don't mind getting a guy started a guy started":O}

i've been reading the various posts. but my biggest problem is that since i bought my computer i don't know what the motherboard is. when i use the sisoft sndra program it says that my chipset is an intel 82845/E/MP/MZ Brookdale CPU to I/O Bridge and the mainboard is an Inspiron 8200 board by dell. my current fsp is 400 mhz. i have a p4 m 2 ghz with a 512 L2 cache. any ideas. the multiplier is locked.

if you need anymore info ask. i have already oc'ed my vid card (rad9000).
Old 11th August, 2003, 07:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Well... I don't exactly know about dells, but other big company computers are almost impossible to overclock (unless you are in luck with software overclocking) because they use their own motherboards.

What you need to do is get into the BIOS and look for options to change the FSB speed. I doubt you will find it - but give it a try anyway. If its there, up the FSB a notch or two, save and reboot.

Let me know if it works out.
Old 11th August, 2003, 06:18 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpaul86
i've been reading the various posts. but my biggest problem is that since i bought my computer i don't know what the motherboard is. when i use the sisoft sndra program it says that my chipset is an intel 82845/E/MP/MZ Brookdale CPU to I/O Bridge and the mainboard is an Inspiron 8200 board by dell. my current fsp is 400 mhz. i have a p4 m 2 ghz with a 512 L2 cache. any ideas. the multiplier is locked.

if you need anymore info ask. i have already oc'ed my vid card (rad9000).

Welcome to AOA's Forums, drewpaul86!

The beauty of a Proprietary PC is that you can send it back to the manufacturer to have it fixed. If a machine has to be proprietary, Dell is the way to go. Unfortunately, their owner support isn't what it used to be.

The ugliness of proprietary PC's is that modding, including overclocking them is almost always far too much trouble. Dell's and all of the proprietary PC maker's ideas of upgrading your machine is simple: Throw the machine into the garbage bin. Buy a brand new one from us. Easy for you, easy for them.

If you must recycle the machine, give it to a school, a deserving peasant or an NGO.

Your machine is nothing to laugh at, it's plenty fast!

For a person that wants to "look under the hood and get their hands dirty," it's best to buy a PC from a VAR, otherwise known as Ma & Pa's computer store. Forget the national chains, the stuff they sell gets worse as time progresses.

The beauty of a machine built by your neighborhood struggling PC store is that you can specify every component in the box. Even if you don't, the beauty of Standard Architecture is that you can mix and match components, improve cooling and upgrade your machine as the wallet allows.

You can even build your own machine. Standard Architecture makes it easy. It's not difficult to build a PC. The effort is in choosing harmonious components. This can require a lot of research. And being very careful when you assemble the parts.
Old 11th August, 2003, 07:27 PM

I'll check to see if i can change the fsb, but i doubt it unless it's hidden. i looked through the BIOS when i got the laptop (most of it was locked). i've thought of building my own computer but i don't have a paycheck yet. just odd jobs. and since this is new i'm goiong to just upgrade this. i have already opened it up and had fun with the insides (aka take out the vid card, the cooling, the p4 chip, etc.) and put it back together, so i know the insides. but i know nothing about oc'ing.
Old 15th August, 2003, 03:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to ichorid

laptop?

LAPTOP????

NO.

dont even try to overclock it. most of them run at melting point anyway
Old 25th August, 2003, 02:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to no1

i thought they came out with a mini water cooling setup for laptops could look at that and come back
or u could do an external water cool and cut a hole in the case and run the tubes though....

now i have no idea what i am talking about so dont take my word for it
Old 25th August, 2003, 02:36 AM

ok, i'll look into the cooling, by the way...just for fun i want to oc an old computer of mine made by micron. it's a P90, 2.1 gig hd, stealth 64 dram, a scsi card, SoundBlaster AWE32, and a 28.8 modem. probly 28-64 mg ram (if lucky). dunno the mb yet, but plan to find out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1 midget pimp
i thought they came out with a mini water cooling setup for laptops could look at that and come back
or u could do an external water cool and cut a hole in the case and run the tubes though....

now i have no idea what i am talking about so dont take my word for it
Old 25th August, 2003, 05:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to no1

for god sake u could prolly even change the multipyer on that thing..... u should over clock it a sh** load and blow the thing to hell
400w psu
readeon 9800 pro
TurboCase case ( well it has a name but it dotn even have a web site!!!)
120 gig hdd
(no mods yet i am reaserching......)
Old 26th August, 2003, 01:03 AM

naw, i think most of the BIOS are still locked. but it's be fun to oc it as much as possible..then a lil more.