AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th December, 2011, 06:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

JTAG and Thomson routers

Has anyone had the joy of attempting to utilise the JTAG connection on a locked Thomson router (like BT Home Hub 2.0A or the O2 wireless box IV)?

Normally people seem to use a parallel port on a host to act as the JTAG interface, but I no longer have any machines with a parallel port! So, at some point in the near future I intend to attempt to use a Bus Blaster (USB JTAG interface) to remove the ISP lock from either or both of the aforementioned routers, so I was wondering if anyone else had attempted this!
Old 25th December, 2011, 11:15 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bump, we're all ears!
Old 27th December, 2011, 09:43 AM

I was going to post before Christmas, but didn't get around to it. So far I have discovered that one of the software tools supposedly supports one of the devices that the Bus Blaster emulates. However, when I try, the tool just complains the firmware is out of date. There's also some fun with two different drivers for the same bit of hardware, and needing to have both to get the Bus Blaster configured and running.

So, plan B is to use my Bus Pirate with brJTAG. brJTAG doesn't natively support the Bus Pirate, but I do have the source for an older version of it. My intent is to hack basic Bus Pirate source into it initially, and then to upgrade the support to something less basic and somewhat faster.
Old 16th February, 2012, 04:36 PM

I'm not doing quite so well here - I've managed to kill the output buffer on my Bus Pirate. So, until I get a chance to fix it, I'm a little stationary in the water. I did wonder about trying to use urJtag - has anyone else used it?
Old 12th March, 2012, 10:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sorry that this Thomson router is being uncooperative. I have a feeling that it was expensive.
Old 21st March, 2012, 02:43 PM

Actually, it was free from an ISP!

The Thomson routers are really just linux boxes, but with a Thomson interface on it. ISPs like them as they're pretty flexible and the ISP can lock them down so you can only use them with the ISP who provided them.
Old 6th September, 2012, 05:07 PM

So what will this do? Will it give you better connection speeds or vary the connection provider using a different router?
Old 6th September, 2012, 08:52 PM

The idea was to unlock the router so it could be used with a different provider.
Old 6th September, 2012, 11:00 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Like unlocking a mobile to be used with any simcard
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
jtag , speedtouch , thomson , unlocking