AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2002, 09:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Power Supply out of the box

Ok here is one I probably already know but hey why not ask anyway.

I am planning my next case buildup since my Asus board is too stinkin big for my purple case.

Want a lot of plexi and thought about takin the PS out of its enclosure and mounting it somewhere in the case that would look a little better. Now finally to the question. What kind of freaky wild thigs with the EMI do to the other components in my rig? I have seen this done b4 but have heard nothing about adverse affects. Anyone have a little input here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2002, 10:50 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

no idea! if its mounted fairly far away you shouldnt have problems... to play is safe perhaps have a wire mesh between PSU and board? make sure u earth it all, no point playing with fire, just link all components to a wire to use as a common ground, and attach this to the earth wire of the PSU

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th May, 2002, 10:40 PM

I will definatly ground all things to a common earth ground.

This may be enough to take care of any problems.
Old 19th May, 2002, 09:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Generally you shouldn't have EMI problems from the PSU, as the output would pick up any EMI from internally anyhow. Also, if the PSU has a european CE mark (or whatever the US equiv is), then it's unlikely to generate much in the way of EMI, given that most PSU enclosures leak RF like they're not there. (which would cause the PSU to fail the emissions test for the CE mark.)

Do enclose it in something like wire mesh, as you'll find there's over 300V floating around in there when it's plugged in, and for a period of time after it's disconnected from the power. Nothing like being kicked across the room by a charged PSU to make sure you enclose it next time around. In addition, should you suffer from any large spikes (like lightning strikes), any arcing will be kept inside the mesh, rather than over any internal components.

The PSU is normally attached to the metal of a standard case to ensure that safety regulations are met. All exposed metal should be wired back to the PSU's EARTH connection (not the ground connection!). Ensure that the ground connection (the black wires) have connection to the PSU's Earth as well. Generally this is taken care of inside the normal PSU enclosure. However depending on your PSU, you may have to do this specifically.

I'm not sure that using individual wires for all internal components back to the PSU is a good idea, as then you have the potential for induced currents in the grounding cabling due to imbalances. The PSU ground cables should be enough, as all components should have local decoupling...

AidanII
Old 27th May, 2002, 03:49 AM

Well I have decided to skip the plexi case. I have other more interesting projects to persue. I still may remove some of the metal on my PS to improve cooling and come up with a cool mod for it. Thanks for your help.
Old 28th May, 2002, 06:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Why dont you remove the metal cover and replace it with a MESH wiring - like chicken Wire-
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 28th May, 2002, 01:08 PM

Good Idea. I also have this really cool vrass mesh that looks way cool. That would give it a different look.

Thanks