AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Hardware Hacking

Hardware Hacking The hammer and tongs school of Overclocking. (NOT for the beginner and you assume all risks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd May, 2002, 03:18 PM

Question I'm running the clock speed higher what next??

Ok guys PC has been running stable and cool for a couple of days and now I want to start over clocking...

I've incressed the speed from 133 to 140 but if I go much higher than that it becomes untstable and also If I put the system board into fast faster or turbo it hangs on boot...

I've got the lastest bios update nad wondered what the next step is to make the pc quicker...

My current 3D benchmark is 6500

Thanks

Joe

P.s I'm a bit new to all this stuff but pick things up real quick so go into detail and complex stuff if you want....

EPOX something+
AMD XP2600+ @ StdMhz
GeForce 4400
1Gig 400DDR
5x40gig HDD
Standard extras......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2002, 05:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

well for the ge force ther is a clocking program so u clock the graphics card for better performance

Majestic

:.majestic.:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd May, 2002, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Since you are already running a 2000+, you don't have quite the same potential for an easy OC. From my perspective, an easy overclock is the direct result of the marketing departments of AMD and Intel. They artificially create tiers of products, ie 1500+, 1600+.....2100+. Most of these chips come off the same assembly line and are virtually identical. Someone basically stamps each chip and allocates quantities of each based on the market expectation for sales. So you have a good shot of overclocking a 1500+ to at least the highest level in production... in this case the 2100+, i think. Of course new steppings play a factor.

In your case, I think an easy oc up to 2100+ is possible. A little extra voltage to your memory should get it stable at faster timings, and oc'ing your vid card will definitely help as well. Have you up'ed the CPU voltage yet? Just keep an eye on your temps if you do. Anything more will take some work... extra cooling w/ voltage mods. (Personally, I'm lazy. I always go for the quick fix.)

I hope this helps.
Old 23rd May, 2002, 12:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

Cooling is probably and issue- did you use the stock heatsync that was sent w/ it? If so- that should be the main area of focus- also what type of air flow do you have on this?
Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd May, 2002, 01:34 AM

the next simple step is to increase your CPU voltage a little.
Do it in slight increments and keep an eye on your temperatures. 1,9v should be safe enough. This will allow you to run at a higher speed.

What memory do yopu have ?

And how is it setup in the bios ?

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 23rd May, 2002, 08:23 AM

Right I upped the voltages last night CPU to 1.9 and memory to 3.0 and its running stable and the highest temp is 48c thats when running the benchmark test.....

I have DDR memory but of unknown make got it cheap

I've got a 80mm front mounted fan and 60mm rear mounted fan and an uprated silver plated copper heat sink and the fan on tops rpm is a stable 7100 So its seems to be ok cooling wise at the moment....

Where can I get the clocking program for the geforce card??

Thanks

Joe.

EPOX something+
AMD XP2600+ @ StdMhz
GeForce 4400
1Gig 400DDR
5x40gig HDD
Standard extras......
Old 23rd May, 2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

If i remember correctly its sitting in the aoa Files some were

Majestic

:.majestic.:
Old 23rd May, 2002, 11:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SiGmA_X Send a message via AIM to SiGmA_X Send a message via MSN to SiGmA_X Send a message via Yahoo to SiGmA_X

One thing SiGmA knows is that cooling counts. You gotta learn that.
Old 13th June, 2002, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to mhr.shadow Send a message via Yahoo to mhr.shadow

Get hold of Riva Tuner if you can longun. Lots to play with.

If they aint got it here, you can deffo get it at:
www.majorgeek.com
Asus P4T533-C Mainboard
256 Kingston RDram
GF2ti, Crystal Orb + Syncs 280/465
W.D Caviar SE 120Gb
SB Live 5.1
Liteon 48x12x48 Burner
Aopen 16x48 DVD
Enermax 350w PSU
Lian Li PC60
XP