AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Hacking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/39-hardware-hacking/)
-   -   hmmm. Whats wrong with this picture! (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/hardware-hacking/37451-hmmm-whats-wrong-with-this-picture.html)

ajopz 28th July, 2006 10:32 PM

hmmm. Whats wrong with this picture!

1 Attachment(s)
Like the title says, can anyone spot what is wrong with my graphics card? Sorry if the pics are abit poo, used my moby camera.

Think you know? have a guess!!

Got EpOx 28th July, 2006 10:36 PM

Removed teh dust filter? ooh ooh is it missing a cap?

ajopz 28th July, 2006 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a winner, I was hoping it wouldnt take long for someone to spot it. Yes your 100% right GE,

I was taking the card out of my athlon set up to put it in my new rig when my finger slipped off the bottom of the card and caught a cap, not hard but one of the caps went flying across the room:eek: :mad: :(

Ive had a look around on the net but cant find anything to help me out or tell me what that cap does.

Can anyone on here tell me? on the top of cap it says: 451 SVP 330 16.

I havent dared to run my card without the cap incase it does more damage. ATM i'm back to using my MX440.

Would it be an impossible job to replace the cap myself? I have some experience with a solidering iron. Or would a return to leadtek be a better idea?

Please, if anyone could help me out on this I would be forever grateful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, its a 6800LE 128MB

Favu 28th July, 2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajopz
Ive had a look around on the net but cant find anything to help me out or tell me what that cap does.

I would say probably voltage regulating of some sort ;)
Quote:

I havent dared to run my card without the cap incase it does more damage.

it almost definatley would
Quote:

Would it be an impossible job to replace the cap myself?

Nopes, there is a guide around here for recapping a mobo, the same principles would apply, I fancy

ajopz 29th July, 2006 11:27 AM

Thanx favu.
I found the guide, Its was written by gizmo for changing caps on the 8rda+. I will be more than willing to give it ago.
There is one thing though. In the guide it states: [you need a minimum of a 35W temperature controlled soldering iron.] This i dont have, only got a standard soldering iron, do i really need the above mentioned iron?

MONKEYMAN 29th July, 2006 12:54 PM

ive put a cap back on a soundcard with a standard soldering iron with no problems.

ajopz 29th July, 2006 02:31 PM

Thats what i like to hear MM, Ive got afew old pcb's laying about so i'll have to get some practise before i try my G Card.

Before I start has anyone got any good tips or thing to avoid?

MONKEYMAN 29th July, 2006 03:55 PM

Dont keep the tip of the iron on the component leg for any length of time and keep the soldering tidy so no short circuits occur on the PCB.

cadaveca 29th July, 2006 04:56 PM

Verify that the cap is re-attached in the correct orientation. find a pic on the internet or an old one of your own and check where the purple color sits. Installing it backwards could be bad.

ajopz 29th July, 2006 05:15 PM

found an old pic from when i first got the card. The purple part is at the bottom same as the rest. The only problem i can see is: after rechecking the card, i noticed the legs on the missing cap dont go through the board so they can be soldered from the back, they are soldered onto connections on the same side as the caps. how am i supost to get a soldering iron tip in between the bottom of the cap and the card as space is very limited!

cadaveca 29th July, 2006 05:36 PM

lol have fun. It CAN be done, but with great difficulty ,I'd imagine.

ajopz 29th July, 2006 05:57 PM

Ok, thanx for the advice fellas, i'll let you know how it goes when i pluck up the curage to have a go.

ajopz 30th July, 2006 10:47 PM

OK, not a great start, no actually it was a ****ing terrible start.
The pins on the cap broke off, so now i have no chance of re-attaching them :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

*throws graphics card in the bin*

QSDT 30th July, 2006 11:01 PM

No No NO don\'t throw it away just buy a new cap of the same type and values!! One with longer legs would be good they are only worth a few dollars each.

ajopz 30th July, 2006 11:07 PM

Ah, a glimmer of hope. Where would be the best place to buy the cap from then? Would i need to get intouch with leadtek or are these sort of caps availible from high street shops?

QSDT 30th July, 2006 11:18 PM

Could try a TV repair shop all something like that or an electronics parts shop. Just take your old one with you.

ajopz 30th July, 2006 11:23 PM

Good thinking QSDT, urve cheered me up no end.
I\'ll have a look around and see if i can find 1 or maybe 2!

ajopz 14th August, 2006 12:11 PM

*UPDATE*

Well I contacted leadtek and was told to e-mail them all the details of the cap that needed replacing and they would see if they could send a new one. That was over 2 weeks ago and still no reply!

Went to afew tv repair shops and maplins and no-one had a replacment cap:(

Yesterday I was very bored and thought i\'d have another go at it. I managed to solder a piece of wire to each of the broken off legs of the cap, then attach the other ends of the wires to the connections on the card. So now the cap is attached via 2 two inch piece\'s of wire. I used a couple of cable tie\'s to hold it onto the fan casing.

Put it back onto my board, and to my surprize it works:D

ATM its running fine, abit hotter than it use to be @ 74c.

Unlocked the pipes and shaders ok, and it seems to overclock as well as it did b4!

Does anyone know if attaching the cap this way would have any adverse effects on my card or system?

chrisbard 14th August, 2006 12:19 PM

If the cap is well connected there will be no problems !!! Only if the soldering or the inner connection is lost at some point there would be consequences ! Great job M8 :thumbsup:

Gizmo 14th August, 2006 02:53 PM

Lead inductance created by the extra wire length will prevent the capacitor from being able to filter ripple as well as it would if it were soldered directly to the board like it is supposed to be. This COULD be the reason the card seems to be running hotter than before, but that\'s not certain. In any case, if the card seems to be running fine, then there probably isn\'t an issue.