AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Hacking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/39-hardware-hacking/)
-   -   hacking PSU's (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/hardware-hacking/45870-hacking-power-supplys.html)

dabaerman 2nd October, 2008 04:29 AM

hacking PSU's

I have a few psu's around that have failed on the -5V rail. any ideas on how to make repairs?
also, is there a way to make the extra 4 pin connector that makes it a 24 pin connector?

Ron

Aedan 2nd October, 2008 09:25 AM

Can you follow circuits at all? If so, follow the -5v line back to it's source. Some PSUs generate it by pulling the negative voltage off the 5v side of the transformer. Some generate -12v, and then regulate to produce -5v. Others do different things!

PorPorMe 2nd October, 2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabaerman (Post 481957)
I have a few psu's around that have failed on the -5V rail. any ideas on how to make repairs?
also, is there a way to make the extra 4 pin connector that makes it a 24 pin connector?

Ron

Ron, here is a thought for you. It's phsycobable and probly nothing more than an interesting and funny thought. You have a tendency to go through more motherboards than:rolling: the average computer geek.
I think I'm smelling another way to fry a motherboard.:D
Did your mother beat you with circuit boards or something?:evil::rolleyes:

Look deep inside your self, Ron, there must be a deeply held resentment against technology.:crazy::cool:

:D:D

Samuknow 2nd October, 2008 12:01 PM

First be crazy careful. The caps on the boards can hold a charge for a very long time.

As Áedán stated. see if you can follow the traces back. On double or multi layer boards this is tough but PSUs are a rather simple layout. Look for anything burnt first.

dabaerman 4th October, 2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorPorMe (Post 481966)
Ron, here is a thought for you. It's phsycobable and probly nothing more than an interesting and funny thought. You have a tendency to go through more motherboards than:rolling: the average computer geek.
I think I'm smelling another way to fry a motherboard.:D
Did your mother beat you with circuit boards or something?:evil::rolleyes:

Look deep inside your self, Ron, there must be a deeply held resentment against technology.:crazy:
:D:D

actually, my Father was the 'electronics' nut. he taught me how to de-solder parts from
dead boards when I was 11. He built a color TV and repaired others as well as small appliances.
I never stayed with it. dad stopped doing that stuff long before I was willing to take it up again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuknow (Post 481967)
First be crazy careful. The caps on the boards can hold a charge for a very long time.

As Áedán stated. see if you can follow the traces back. On double or multi layer boards this is tough but PSUs are a rather simple layout. Look for anything burnt first.

lesson learned:banghead:the hard way.:crazy:

you betcha, I won't be starting this for a little while. making a good workbench in the garage.

Ron

Azriel 10th October, 2008 08:24 PM

Remember, also, when pruning a PSU, don't cut everything off one side. They don't like that. :P

plztalkgentle 25th January, 2009 09:34 AM

Hardware Problem

hello can anyone suggest me ..

how can save my computer hardware by virus infection that i goy everyday through the net.

i am using windows XP security..

praveen

Azriel 25th January, 2009 03:06 PM

Stop downloading pron?

Daniel ~ 25th January, 2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plztalkgentle (Post 488745)

how can save my computer hardware by virus infection that i goy everyday through the net.

praveen

Basically you will need a good virus scanning and removing program. there are several out there that will pretty much do the job. Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
and check out their software utilities section.

booman 26th February, 2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

praveen

You may want to post this message in a different thread like Security. Otherwise the admins may treat it as spam

booman 26th February, 2009 05:49 PM

Back to the subject:
Good luck with the PSU mod Ron. oh, and take some pictures of your work bench. I always like to see what other people use for their work area and where I can improve mine.

robbie 26th February, 2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

praveen

They usually don't hit hardware, they hit software. :)

Also, maybe start a new thread?

cloasters 21st December, 2009 09:33 PM

I'm way late to the party, I apologize. Any luck with fixing your virus problem, plztalkgentle?

cloasters 30th January, 2011 02:38 AM

All we can do is speculate. Not again!

cloasters 31st January, 2011 09:34 PM

A toast to Surlyjoe, the greatest hardware hacker of them all!

jems28 19th July, 2012 12:06 PM

Thanx for useful information.Great

Thanx

Daniel ~ 19th July, 2012 06:10 PM

Your most welcome.

chrisbard 14th August, 2012 02:20 PM

I fixed a computer today. It was the first in years. The powercord was shot. Some fix ain't it?

booman 14th August, 2012 04:02 PM

really? the power cord? I've never actually seen a power cord that died... those things could probably survive any natural disaster

Daniel ~ 14th August, 2012 06:13 PM

I think he's softly saying he forgot to plug it in....Laptop guys...what can I say?":O}