AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Hacking (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/39-hardware-hacking/)
-   -   Trunk mounting a PC (questions) (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/hardware-hacking/5461-trunk-mounting-a-pc-questions.html)

Azriel 19th May, 2002 07:14 PM

Trunk mounting a PC (questions)

I'm looking into the option of trunk mounting my PIII-800 in my car for GPS, and MP3. (It's a tiny inwin desktop)

Questions:

Any ideas on an shock mount for it?

Can modern Hard drives withstand the abuse this would cause, or should I pick up a laptop drive for it.

Where can I get a compact keyboard with a pointing device built in. (I don't want to go with a wireless unless I have to.)

Where can I get a decent LCD display? (nothing over 12.1, I'd like to keep it around 5.6)

Should I go with a wireless network card for in-driveway file transfers?

would you guys kill me if I did this with a Mac instead?

Azriel 19th May, 2002 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the car.

My 86 taurus is dead. I just bought this 93 taurus for $2000, and it's sweet.

Azriel 19th May, 2002 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The Spyder 19th May, 2002 07:47 PM

I would get a laptop harddrive- a 6.5inch touch lcd- wireless keyboard and mouse (or one of those kewl flex kb's) and a wireless lan- and im headed to you house now with a butcherknife if you mention mac- :-P
Spyder

Daniel ~ 19th May, 2002 08:16 PM

How will you power it Azriel

Azriel 19th May, 2002 08:22 PM

I have a engine compartment mount 110v inverter for an RV.

The Spyder 19th May, 2002 08:24 PM

Make sure to check the min watt output- and max- the amps output and be careful- they hurt :-\
Spyder

Daniel ~ 19th May, 2002 08:33 PM

Keep taking those pic's along the way! ":O}

Azriel 19th May, 2002 09:02 PM

Right now, I am in the planning stages. If this gets to be too expensive, I'll just get a laptop for the car.

Azriel 19th May, 2002 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the 400watt inverter.

The Spyder 20th May, 2002 03:25 AM

Thats definitly enought! What type of system are you using? It should be very very very cheap! I built me MP3 server for $100 total-
Spyder

The Spyder 20th May, 2002 03:27 AM

I have a Keyboard that haa a built in touch pad if you want it~ It works ok for a touch pad!
Spyder

Azriel 20th May, 2002 05:21 AM

I thought about it a bit, and I don't really need a keyboard. I am going to use a trackpoint (laptop part) mounted in the dash next to the remote buttons for the stock AM/FM cassette deck. Possible on the back of the steering wheel. It has an air bag, so there's lots of space to work with there. This box is going to be based on a flex-atx motherboard like the one we used in the Nintendo and Color Classic mods. Probably mounted in a external SCSI HDD enclosure. This one is a TYAN Tomcat i810e.

It will be painfully simple.

Laptop IDE HDD, and no CD.

I am going to try to bypass the AC inverter. I have to modify an AT PSU, by feeding it directly from the cars power after the transformer. If I like the voltages that it puts out, that will be the way this goes. I figure that a 1 farad car audio stiffening cappacitor will cover any power sags. The inverter seems pretty stupid. Why conver 14v or so DC to 110v AC, just to convert it back to 12v, 5v, and 3.3v DC?

If I can build a stable 3.3v regulator, I will be using the PSU from a Mac LC. They are tiny. I want to regulate the 12v power down to 3.3v, rather than the 5v. 12v power is hardly used at all by this rig. The drive only needs 5v.

Azriel 21st May, 2002 02:17 AM

I might also get Wayyyy lazy, and go with a Neo instead.

The Spyder 21st May, 2002 02:44 AM

Good point- there is no need to transfer the 12 to 110 to 12 back again- It should be pretty easy to build a 3.3 reg. Still thinking about wireless? Exclent Idea-
Spyder

Jazz 21st May, 2002 04:41 AM

At dayton i saw a company that is selling a mp3 player with a 120 gig drive for your car. Let me look through the boxes i may have the link

Aedan 21st May, 2002 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Azriel
I am going to try to bypass the AC inverter. I have to modify an AT PSU, by feeding it directly from the cars power after the transformer.
Err.. I'm assuming you mean the transformer in the AT PSU? If so, that's the energy storage unit that the PSU uses to regulate the power. Without it, the PSU will be unable to regulate any voltage!
You might be able to re-wind the transformer so that it operates at the 12V, then you'd be able to feed the power into the PSU. You'll find it'll get hotter than normal though, as the current flowing will be much higher than it was designed for.

AidanII

Claudius 21st May, 2002 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AidanII

You might be able to re-wind the transformer so that it operates at the 12V, then you'd be able to feed the power into the PSU.

12V DC? Transformers can only transform AC voltages. Feeding a DC voltage to the transformer will do nothing. You will not get any output.
Also, i think using an AT PSU for this project is useless for this reason (unless you use an inverter).
You should probably make the regulators yourself.

Azriel 21st May, 2002 09:32 PM

The AT psu was for test purposes.

Azriel 21st May, 2002 11:03 PM

Out of general paranoia, I just hooked up the 110v inverter to my car, and it successfully powered a mac LC and a 12" B&W monitor. (This was with the ignition off :D) I left it running for a couple minutes, and the car had no trouble starting afterwards.

I figure that if it can power a CRT and an LC, it should have no trouble powering an LCD, and a 145w PSU.

I'm going to go with a full size hard drive, because they use a full size drive in the Neo 35, and I haven't heard any complaints about that.