AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Intel Motherboards & CPUs

Intel Motherboards & CPUs Questions or comments on INTEL products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th October, 2002, 09:59 AM

Unhappy Waterblocks and Slot 1, Socket A, Socket 370 and so on

I've been shopping around for waterblocks for the past couple of days and I find it very frustrating !!

I'm on an old piece of machine, PII Slot 1, and getting a waterblock for this is just impossible... well there are some but they are so hideous and double the size of regual waterblock taht they can only be used on Slot 1

But I also want to test my waterblock on other systems such as Durons and PIII's and that's really important for me.

Now, I really miss on the difference between these Slot 1, Slot a, socket 7, socket 8, socket 370 and blah blah blah It just doesn't make much sense to know which waterblocks go on what CPU's.

What I need is some help in sorting out all these "chipsets" (?), and finding a waterblock that would be very versatile and work on multiple "chipset arragements" (all those slots and sockets)

I see that usually to use a pIII 370 on a Duron, one must change the shims or fittings... is such a thing possible for the slot 1??

Please help out the very confused and dazed ME, that's trying to overclock his computer and fell into this hole
Old 28th October, 2002, 01:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard AOA Forum's, Dieselboi!

The physical dimensions of the Socket 370 and Socket A are the same. However, the sizes of the processors that use these two sockets(AMD in Socket A) vary considerably. From a large PPGA Celeron(in a Socket 370) to a tiny AMD Duron(in Socket A).

Water cooling a Slot 1 form factor CPU seems silly to me. However, there are Slockets that fit into Slot 1's. These mount Socket 370 form factor processor's.

Complicated, neh?

Last edited by cloasters; 28th October, 2002 at 01:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th October, 2002, 05:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/maze1.asp
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2002, 09:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Welcome aboard AOA Forum's, Dieselboi!

The physical dimensions of the Socket 370 and Socket A are the same. However, the sizes of the processors that use these two sockets(AMD in Socket A) vary considerably. From a large PPGA Celeron(in a Socket 370) to a tiny AMD Duron(in Socket A).

Water cooling a Slot 1 form factor CPU seems silly to me. However, there are Slockets that fit into Slot 1's. These mount Socket 370 form factor processor's.

Complicated, neh?
Silly? back in the day I had a watercooled unlocked p2 400 @ 600 running at -5c with 2 peliters
In fact I still have the watercooling equipment from that
Old 31st October, 2002, 05:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed

Silly? back in the day I had a watercooled unlocked p2 400 @ 600 running at -5c with 2 peliters
In fact I still have the watercooling equipment from that
I'm not looking backward in time with my assertion. I meant that water cooling a Slot 1 CPU makes little sense today. To each their own, my opinion doesn't matter much.
Old 4th November, 2002, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the INFO... a little more clear, just a little :P

And no, oc-ing a Slot 1 is not silly.. I can play GTA3 with my pII, it's at 350mhz... I need to sqeeze out that extra 100mhz... to make the buildings appear

Anyway, I've decided on the Swiftech MCW462-UH waterblock... it's UNIVERSAL... meaning I can put on it any duron, athlon, p4, xeon.... and now thanks to the tech support from dangerden I know how to make it work on a Slot 1

NOw shipping to Canada is much more complicated and COSTLY!!
Old 5th November, 2002, 12:13 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Um. an MCW462 wont fit a SLOT 1 Pentium! its MUCH MUCH too big! a dangerden MAZE 1 is just perfect, since a p2 wont put out a lot of heat the MAZE1 will fit, and cool it better than you could want!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 8th November, 2002, 04:09 AM

Bah.. random nonsense ! :P

I'll manage to make it fit somehow... plexyglass!!

[img]ftp://gta3:gta3@kidb.no-ip.com/plexyglass.jpg[/img]
Old 18th November, 2002, 02:52 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Pic isnt working

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 18th November, 2002, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dieselboi
Bah.. random nonsense ! :P

I'll manage to make it fit somehow... plexyglass!!

[img]ftp://gta3:gta3@kidb.no-ip.com/plexyglass.jpg[/img]
I think plexi will be your best bet.

Buying a small waterblock for slot 1 will limit your performance on other platforms. Better to force a big block onto slot 1

As slot 1 has wuite a few holes in it yopu should be able to botch a mounting together fairly easily. Especailly as you can just work on the CPU rather than having to mess with the mobo.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.